• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

West Virginia Will Be Without Their Starting QB

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Me too man. I'm disappointed is all. We would all rather see these two teams go at this full strength. But like others have said, I don't blame Grier or anyone for making a financial decision.

I agree 100% man and I can see his decision both ways. But I do truely hope it’s a good game and not a blowout. :suds:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still confused about what you were getting at.

Gonna play obtuse, eh? Whatever.

You mentioned one specific game. A game against UNC that SU won at home in OT. Injuries played a big role if you want an excuse. And it also is these types of games that define a season. One team falls off the map and goes 3 - 9 and the other team turns a corner and ends up 9 - 3. It's how sports go.

So in the spirit of that type of a conversation, I brought up one specific game that cost tOSU and the B1G.....quite a bit. I was hoping you would get to the obvious part of where your boys screwed the pooch a hell of a lot more than SU did.

SU had clemson by the nuts and let it slip away on the last drive of the game. Purdue didn't let tOSU off so easy. In fact, it was a curb stomping. And that's on your boys.

SU played and lost to two teams that are undefeated and that are in the playoffs. SU isn't a playoff team yet. They still have work to do.

So yeah, SU had a rough three game stretch where they lost on the last play of two games, Clemson and Pitt respectively and pulled the third one out in the dome, going on to finish the season at 9 - 3. btw, SU was picked by errone to finish last in the ACC.

So......What's tOSU's excuse?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna play obtuse, eh? Whatever.

You mentioned one specific game. A game against UNC that SU won at home in OT. Injuries played a big role if you want an excuse. And it also is these types of games that define a season. One team falls off the map and goes 3 - 9 and the other team turns a corner and ends up 9 - 3. It's how sports go.

So in the spirit of that type of a conversation, I brought up one specific game that cost tOSU and the B1G.....quite a bit. I was hoping you would get to the obvious part of where your boys screwed the pooch a hell of a lot more than SU did.

SU had clemson by the nuts and let it slip away on the last drive of the game. Purdue didn't let tOSU off so easy. In fact, it was a curb stomping. And that's on your boys.

SU played and lost to two teams that are undefeated and that are in the playoffs. SU isn't a playoff team yet. They still have work to do.

So yeah, SU had a rough three game stretch where they lost on the last play of two games, Clemson and Pitt respectively and pulled the third one out in the dome, going on to finish the season at 9 - 3. btw, SU was picked by errone to finish last in the ACC.

So......What's tOSU's excuse?
You were the one touting your defense and how great they are and how much trouble they're going to give West Virginia. We can also talk about Western Michigan throwing for almost 400 yards and 3 TDs on you, Wake Forest's QB going for 275, and of course Ian Book going nuts. Difference here is, I'm not touting OSU's defense.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the playoff, this is going to be all too common. In the BCS or previous systems the major bowls were still seen of as huge accomplishments and winning them were seen as a big deal. The "BCS bowls" were awesome and teams were measured on how many BCS bowls they had gone to in a certain amount of time. Now, it's playoff or bust. Teams that fall short feel like there's nothing left to play for except a consolation prize bowl. So I can totally see why players would skip that to guarantee their millions of dollars in the draft.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the playoff, this is going to be all too common. In the BCS or previous systems the major bowls were still seen of as huge accomplishments and winning them were seen as a big deal. The "BCS bowls" were awesome and teams were measured on how many BCS bowls they had gone to in a certain amount of time. Now, it's playoff or bust. Teams that fall short feel like there's nothing left to play for except a consolation prize bowl. So I can totally see why players would skip that to guarantee their millions of dollars in the draft.
It still depends on the bowl game. For example, Haskins is playing in the Rose Bowl and he's a projected top-15/top-10 pick.

Maybe he's coming back afterall :D

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys have been playing "not to get hurt" for years now, at these kinds of bowl games.

Why not just skip it and let some fresh meat give it a try.
You might just get some players who actually give a shit about it.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It still depends on the bowl game. For example, Haskins is playing in the Rose Bowl and he's a projected top-15/top-10 pick.

Maybe he's coming back afterall :D
I think it depends on the individual and what's important to them. I can see a player wanting one last chance to play in college, even if it risks injury and money in the draft. I think we have some guys like Bush/Winovich who are projected pretty high who are playing in the bowl. But I don't think badly of Gary for sitting out. In these games I'd like to see some younger guys get in anyway now that the redshirt rules have changed. Get some playing time before next year.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys have been playing "not to get hurt" for years now, at these kinds of bowl games.

Exactly. With the new redshirt rules you can play some true freshman who have been with the team almost an entire year without burning their redshirt.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I were to guess, Washington will get an extended look at Tate Martell at QB for OSU. If Haskins plays past the first half, regardless of how the game is going, I'd be surprised. His comments in NY make it seem like he's got his eyes on the NFL, particularly the Giants.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were the one touting your defense and how great they are and how much trouble they're going to give West Virginia. We can also talk about Western Michigan throwing for almost 400 yards and 3 TDs on you, Wake Forest's QB going for 275, and of course Ian Book going nuts. Difference here is, I'm not touting OSU's defense.

Toouting? I know I spoke to the D-Line....Robinson, Coleman and Clayton specifically those three. They've played well. The SU secondary is a problem due to youth and injuries, but they have come a long way. Hope to have a few studs back for Christmas.

There has never been much discussion about stellar defenses ... by anyone.

SU's going to put up numbers. Everyone knows WV was going to put up some big numbers. It's too bad they won't be at 100% though.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toouting? I know I spoke to the D-Line....Robinson, Coleman and Clayton specifically those three. They've played well. The SU secondary is a problem due to youth and injuries, but they have come a long way. Hope to have a few studs back for Christmas.

There has never been much discussion about stellar defenses ... by anyone.

SU's going to put up numbers. Everyone knows WV was going to put up some big numbers. It's too bad they won't be at 100% though.
It's upsetting but I understand why. I switched my bowl pick to Syracuse.

Monorojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for Grier.

The coaches and staff run these kids into the ground at every major university. Why risk playing a game that would ultimately cost you everything?

Good for you kid, you have people behind you that care about your future and don’t buy into this false sense of family crap that coaches try to trap players in.

I hope more players do this as the bowl games are absolutely meaningless outside the playoff and that is how those in charge of the committee have made it, it’s not Grier’s fault