• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wentz receives four-year extension

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Delusional.

What part do you consider delusional? I assume you aren't contesting that Philly had the best QB depth in the NFL when Foles was #2, so I assume you mean you don't think our backups are up to snuff now.

Dallas has

Dak

Cooper Rush

Mike White

Philly has

Wentz

Nate Sudfeld

Clayton Thorson

Now, I am not saying Philly's Qb room is anything special now, but it is pretty much average for the NFL.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Delusional.

I dont see how his post was delusional. He said we used to have the best depth in the league at QB, now we are just average. Whats delusional about that?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part do you consider delusional? I assume you aren't contesting that Philly had the best QB depth in the NFL when Foles was #2, so I assume you mean you don't think our backups are up to snuff now.

Dallas has

Dak

Cooper Rush

Mike White

Philly has

Wentz

Nate Sudfeld

Clayton Thorson

Now, I am not saying Philly's Qb room is anything special now, but it is pretty much average for the NFL.

And I wouldn't have good feelings if Dak got hurt.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont see how his post was delusional. He said we used to have the best depth in the league at QB, now we are just average. Whats delusional about that?

He said he'd be comfortable with Sudfield. Are you comfortable with Sudfield?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am comfortable with STUDdfeld. Spell his name right, please.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he'd be comfortable with Sudfield. Are you comfortable with Sudfield?

I’m as comfortable with Sudfeld as most other teams are with their backup. Most every team is in big trouble if their starter goes down.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m as comfortable with Sudfeld as most other teams are with their backup. Most every team is in big trouble if their starter goes down.
Which to me logically says you arent comfortable.
Right?
Or.
Are you with Iggloo in thinking your back up is the shit?

Cowboy fans know we are fucked if we lose our starter.

Or.......... are you saying it isnt the Qb at all. its the coaching & the system?

Whatever it is. I am listening to your point of view Brother.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@PhillyGreen
@eaglesnut

I fight with @jarntt all the time but I always respected cause he doesn’t act like a damn fool and I admit I do. I’ve decided to wait until 2021 to see if we are right on the cap issues or if he is right. But the one HUGE flaw (IMO) Jarntt makes is, “Dallas did the same thing Philly is doing now”. I don’t think that’s true at all. They gave mega contracts to mediocre players like Roy Williams, Miles Austin and Marion Barber. We haven’t done that. We are not doing the same thing at all IMO. Just give it 2 or 3 years and we will revisit this. But I’m with you guys. Things will be tight for any team signing a young QB to 30+ mill deal... but Howie will take care of it. We will see down the road.
Not true. Barber was a fantastic player that got hurt and had his career ended by injuries. Austin was a young, on the rise Pro Bowler that got hurt and had his career ended by injuries. If Wentz has yet another knee injury and never plays at a high level again will you call him mediocre or will you say he was an elite talent that got hurt?

But, I explained to you why Dallas had a problem. It was not because of one or two bad contracts it was because of the way they kicked the can down the road. It wasn't one contract but the fact that they restructured guys every year to help the current year contract and screw the future cap years. That is EXACTLY what Philly is doing.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I don’t remember that at all!
I remember it happening, but I can't remember exactly what it looked like. Maybe there was no video of it?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Banner, the former Eagles and Browns front office guy, gave an interview to Rich Eisen that made an interesting point about the guaranteed money. He noted that this is basically a four-year extension, and that Wentz was already effectively guaranteed a good chunk of this amount by virtue of being almost certain to make the money in the last two years of his rookie contract. So the extra guarantees are not as much as people are making them out to be, some of it is guaranteeing what was already assured when they picked up his 5th year option for 2020.

He thinks the Eagles got a good deal and Wentz could have gotten more money.
That's kind of what I was saying on here when I first heard he signed and got $107M guaranteed. I haven't seen the details yet, but I was thinking they give a huge SB as part of the guaranteed money and then guarantee his 2020 and maybe 2021 salaries. That seems to be the norm nowadays. Did they release the details yet?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pederson won the Super Bowl with a backup already.

And you want to act like it can't be done.:nono:
He won with a QB who already had a record-breaking season under his belt. Foles >>>>>> Sudfeld.

And again, this doesn't change that you lied. Why haven't you admitted that yet?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we sit here today I think the Philly backup QBs are probably WAY stronger than the Cowboy backups on the surface. In reality we won't know unless pressed into service for an extended amount of time. BUT, here is the issue. We all know any player and in particular any QB can get injured and be lost for a few games or the year at any time. But, recent history shows us that Wentz is more likely to get hurt than the average QB. That doesn't mean he will of course, but he is more likely to. So Philly needs to be a little more cognizant of having good backup QBs than most teams.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe Philly paid that for a QB that hasn't done much.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which to me logically says you arent comfortable.
Right?
Or.
Are you with Iggloo in thinking your back up is the shit?

Cowboy fans know we are fucked if we lose our starter.

Or.......... are you saying it isnt the Qb at all. its the coaching & the system?

Whatever it is. I am listening to your point of view Brother.
He's double talking AGAIN.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no fan in his right mind could be "comfortable" with a back up QB who's played very little in the regular season

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I have to say that the Wentz threads sure have legs around these parts. Pun intended, lol.
Seriously though, It amazes me how much chatter is involved for a contract extension should not be a surprise to anyone.
Dak and Goff to come soon at similar numbers. We all said this back at the end of the season. Not exactly shocking in today's NFL landscape.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not true. Barber was a fantastic player that got hurt and had his career ended by injuries. Austin was a young, on the rise Pro Bowler that got hurt and had his career ended by injuries. If Wentz has yet another knee injury and never plays at a high level again will you call him mediocre or will you say he was an elite talent that got hurt?

But, I explained to you why Dallas had a problem. It was not because of one or two bad contracts it was because of the way they kicked the can down the road. It wasn't one contract but the fact that they restructured guys every year to help the current year contract and screw the future cap years. That is EXACTLY what Philly is doing.

This is where I guess we will always disagree. It sounds as if you are saying that this is new to the Eagles and it isn't. They have been restructuring contracts since the inception of the salary cap. The difference is the Cowboys were doing it poorly and the Eagles were not. If there was ever a period where the Eagles were screwed it was during the Chip Kelly era and the contracts they signed players to. Yet in the end not only did they manage to get out of it they also managed at the same time to work deals that let them get Carson Wentz.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I guess we will always disagree. It sounds as if you are saying that this is new to the Eagles and it isn't. They have been restructuring contracts since the inception of the salary cap. The difference is the Cowboys were doing it poorly and the Eagles were not. If there was ever a period where the Eagles were screwed it was during the Chip Kelly era and the contracts they signed players to. Yet in the end not only did they manage to get out of it they also managed at the same time to work deals that let them get Carson Wentz.
The Eagles aren't doing anything that other teams pushing cap the cap down the road has/are doing.

You can tell yourself otherwise but all you're doing is lying to yourself.