• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wentz receives four-year extension

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@PhillyGreen
@eaglesnut

I fight with @jarntt all the time but I always respected cause he doesn’t act like a damn fool and I admit I do. I’ve decided to wait until 2021 to see if we are right on the cap issues or if he is right. But the one HUGE flaw (IMO) Jarntt makes is, “Dallas did the same thing Philly is doing now”. I don’t think that’s true at all. They gave mega contracts to mediocre players like Roy Williams, Miles Austin and Marion Barber. We haven’t done that. We are not doing the same thing at all IMO. Just give it 2 or 3 years and we will revisit this. But I’m with you guys. Things will be tight for any team signing a young QB to 30+ mill deal... but Howie will take care of it. We will see down the road.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think this was a bad move by the Eagles, you don't understand the scarcity of quality QB prospects or the economics of having a quality QB. There's very little choice here. Tank and trade up for Herbert after that? Come on now...

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Largest guarantee in NFL history to a player that has suffered 2 season ending injuries.

Joe Banner, the former Eagles and Browns front office guy, gave an interview to Rich Eisen that made an interesting point about the guaranteed money. He noted that this is basically a four-year extension, and that Wentz was already effectively guaranteed a good chunk of this amount by virtue of being almost certain to make the money in the last two years of his rookie contract. So the extra guarantees are not as much as people are making them out to be, some of it is guaranteeing what was already assured when they picked up his 5th year option for 2020.

He thinks the Eagles got a good deal and Wentz could have gotten more money.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Eagles now have Wentz signed through the 2024 season. Risk? Yes, obviously. But if he stays healthy, they can compete with this size of contract.

The Eagles are pretty much stuck. Without their SB star Foles, they had to sign Wentz. I get it.

The question I have for you is:

If Wentz was being drafted now with his history of injuries, would you still take a chance on him in the 1st round or would he fall to the 3rd?

It's kind of like when Eagles fans welcomed @PhoenixEagles1 to the board when he got here.
Would they still welcome him here now that they know what you got?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles are pretty much stuck. Without their SB star Foles, they had to sign Wentz. I get it.

If Wentz was being drafted now with his history of injuries, would you still take a chance on him in the 1st round or would he fall to the 3rd?
He wouldn't get past pick 2...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Banner, the former Eagles and Browns front office guy, gave an interview to Rich Eisen that made an interesting point about the guaranteed money. He noted that this is basically a four-year extension, and that Wentz was already effectively guaranteed a good chunk of this amount by virtue of being almost certain to make the money in the last two years of his rookie contract. So the extra guarantees are not as much as people are making them out to be, some of it is guaranteeing what was already assured when they picked up his 5th year option for 2020.

Well he was scheduled to make 31 mil, mighty short of 107 mil...don't you think?

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Marino is the greatest QB I've ever seen. So I think you know where I stand on this topic...

For me personally it's a little too early to say Wentz IS an elite talent with confidence. I think he has all the physical skills. I think he needs to improve some things but he is a young QB and every young QB needs to improve some things. But who cares what other fans think? You've been negative about Dak many times and almost constantly. It doesn't change the fact that I think he is a fantastic young QB and is just going to get better and why would I care what an Eagles fan thinks about my QB if I'm a Cowboy fan?

Fair enough....but I was mostly negative on Dak when it came on the Dak vs. Wentz debate. I have always maintained I thought he was a good QB though.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been trying to find out if the guaranteed money includes 2019 and 20. If so that 107 Guaranteed is closer to 75M in new guarantees.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.................Bench....................................................Wentz................................

th
th

Wentz always comes out on top.....

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL distraction? Dude, you lied. It is what it is. You said that I made a statement that I absolutely did not made, and now you're trying to backtrack unsuccessfully because you know you lied. Just admit you lied. It is what it is. The only thing exposed here is your Philly complex that makes you have to lie about others.
Pederson won the Super Bowl with a backup already.

And you want to act like it can't be done.:nono:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@PhillyGreen
@eaglesnut

I fight with @jarntt all the time but I always respected cause he doesn’t act like a damn fool and I admit I do. I’ve decided to wait until 2021 to see if we are right on the cap issues or if he is right. But the one HUGE flaw (IMO) Jarntt makes is, “Dallas did the same thing Philly is doing now”. I don’t think that’s true at all. They gave mega contracts to mediocre players like Roy Williams, Miles Austin and Marion Barber. We haven’t done that. We are not doing the same thing at all IMO. Just give it 2 or 3 years and we will revisit this. But I’m with you guys. Things will be tight for any team signing a young QB to 30+ mill deal... but Howie will take care of it. We will see down the road.
Dallas is retarded with the cap.
Philly is masterful with the cap, except during Chip Kelly. And even that they fixed fast and masterfully.

None of this is news, but the Eagles beating Dallas to the franchise QB contract only reinforces it.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you think this was a bad move by the Eagles, you don't understand the scarcity of quality QB prospects or the economics of having a quality QB. There's very little choice here. Tank and trade up for Herbert after that? Come on now...
hebert overrated

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's kind of like when Eagles fans welcomed @PhoenixEagles1 to the board when he got here.
Would they still welcome him here now that they know what you got?

Dude, a midget just went first overall. Daniel Freaking Jones went top 10. Are you serious with this question? NFL is starved for QBs. You are spoiled by Tommy boy. Wait until he retires.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OM, but are you comfortable with the backups in Philly?

Foles was probably the best backup in the league, so you can't replace that, but Nate Sudfeld is a pretty decent young QB. I think we are now OK, whereas before we probably had the best QB depth in the NFL.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles was probably the best backup in the league, so you can't replace that, but Nate Sudfeld is a pretty decent young QB. I think we are now OK, whereas before we probably had the best QB depth in the NFL.
Delusional.