• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wentz agreed to 4 year extension

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just received it on my phone. I'm happy this got done before camp starts. Now we got to make Jenkins happy.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMG-1005.jpg

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't have a QB you're not going anywhere in this league. A healthy and in shape Wentz gives us a great chance at getting back to the dance and we have him locked up for the next 5 years. If he gets hurt again then oh well ... but you can't let him leave, otherwise all the cap room wouldn't matter anyhoo. With the way salaries are shooting up (especially with QB's), this will be a good deal for the club the last 2 years of it should Carson stay healthy.

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hammer:

Howie is the best.

Really it's remarkable how he runs the finances here. Gets all the FAs he targets. Brings all the right guys back. He brings in good people and we have a great culture here.

Reactions: CSB

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't have a QB you're not going anywhere in this league. A healthy and in shape Wentz gives us a great chance at getting back to the dance and we have him locked up for the next 5 years. If he gets hurt again then oh well ... but you can't let him leave, otherwise all the cap room wouldn't matter anyhoo. With the way salaries are shooting up (especially with QB's), this will be a good deal for the club the last 2 years of it should Carson stay healthy.
The great teams make these bets.

Also a great sign that his recovery has been successful.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hammer:

Howie is the best.

Really it's remarkable how he runs the finances here. Gets all the FAs he targets. Brings all the right guys back. He brings in good people and we have a great culture here.

Howie will be great if he keeps Douglas, or replaces him with a VP just as good.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie will be great if he keeps Douglas, or replaces him with a VP just as good.

There was something big I picked up with Howie after the SB win. That story about how things were handled during the dark “Chip in Charge” days. How Lurie challenged him to seek out successful business people and learn more on how to be one.

Howie already had learned at Nickelbags Joe’s feet when it comes to numbers and cap savvy (of which he has well exceeded Nickelbags a while back). His strength is the numbers.

I’m sure one thing he learned clearly from these business leaders is to surround yourself with people solid in the things you are not. I’ve always seen Joe as proof of this.

Optimally they will find a way to keep Joe. Otherwise it becomes a challenge to find a wonderful talent person to be on the team. But if they can pull it off this keeps going.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Completely agree here....the injury prone risk is a thing. But there is a premium to waiting to see if he is healthy and viable. Prices only go up.

On the surface this makes a lot of sense to let Wentz grow the next half decade and work his way into his next big deal.

I will be very interested to see how this breaks out cap wise and start looking for the levers Howie will leverage cap wise the next five years to absorb this and keep the rest of the roster stacked.

This is a point where many executives have struggled to absorb the big QB cap number and address the rest of the roster. I have confidence in Howie....but it will be interesting.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not worried. Everyone knew Wentz wasn't going to be 100% last year but he was well enough to play. He needed to be out there because he is still learning how to play QB in the NFL.

Wentz will be a really good QB for us so I am happy for him. :)

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree here....the injury prone risk is a thing. But there is a premium to waiting to see if he is healthy and viable. Prices only go up.

On the surface this makes a lot of sense to let Wentz grow the next half decade and work his way into his next big deal.

I will be very interested to see how this breaks out cap wise and start looking for the levers Howie will leverage cap wise the next five years to absorb this and keep the rest of the roster stacked.

This is a point where many executives have struggled to absorb the big QB cap number and address the rest of the roster. I have confidence in Howie....but it will be interesting.

Spotrac and overthecap have not updated yet, so I still am not 100% certain how this all effects the cap.

But I think it drops his number this year to $3.45 million and in 2020 down to $12.1 from $8.5 and $22.8.

Cap hits under $20 million until 2022, I think.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spotrac and overthecap have not updated yet, so I still am not 100% certain how this all effects the cap.

But I think it drops his number this year to $3.45 million and in 2020 down to $12.1 from $8.5 and $22.8.

Cap hits under $20 million until 2022, I think.

Cap hit are exactly what I am waiting for to final grade this lol. I like a lot of the numbers I am seeing and think they did a great job. But how this counts on the cap and takes flexibility from addressing the rest of the roster is super important to understand.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap hit are exactly what I am waiting for to final grade this lol. I like a lot of the numbers I am seeing and think they did a great job. But how this counts on the cap and takes flexibility from addressing the rest of the roster is super important to understand.
The numbers look like this:
2019: 8.39
2020: 18.66
2021: 34.67
2022: 31.27
2023: 34.27
2024: 32

Carson Wentz Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

There's a potential for cap savings if he can't stay healthy in 2022. Would be a hefty dead cap that wouldn't make sense unless they were hot garbage.

L.Freamon

Formerly FWFW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Future is secure!

Can't wait to see the Rams and Dallas blow their cap on their QBs who think they are better than Wentz, but really arent:nono:.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The numbers look like this:
2019: 8.39
2020: 18.66
2021: 34.67
2022: 31.27
2023: 34.27
2024: 32

Carson Wentz Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap

There's a potential for cap savings if he can't stay healthy in 2022. Would be a hefty dead cap that wouldn't make sense unless they were hot garbage.

Good stuff...thanks!

OK....we are essentially dead in the water for three years, cap wise. I am good with this. Still some big numbers in the latter years, but dead money is less than cap....so there is that. I don't see them making that move.....just thinking "what if he completely falls apart?" Don't expect that to be the case (faith!)

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff...thanks!

OK....we are essentially dead in the water for three years, cap wise. I am good with this. Still some big numbers in the latter years, but dead money is less than cap....so there is that. I don't see them making that move.....just thinking "what if he completely falls apart?" Don't expect that to be the case (faith!)
To me, the biggest thing was making room in 2020. They were able to shave about $5 million off his cap number there. If he had played out on his option year, the hit would have been about $22.78 million.

For what it's worth, all the big numbers are in the next CBA period (current CBA ends in 2020). So the cap might jump anyway.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://deadspin.com/qbs-are-getting-more-expensive-heres-how-nfl-teams-can-1835096116

This article was super interesting read on how to pay out a top QB and still be competitive.

Interesting how the Eagles had to find a creative way to make the deal work with the CBA expiry rule in place. Lots of LTBE incentives it sounds like.

And...to @Guy Incognito's point.....they are banking on a new CBA that grows the cap at least as much, if not more. With media deals coming up right around the same time and all the new streams coming to the front (Streaming, Gambling) the cap likely will grow even faster.

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling with the new CBA we are going to see a significant increase in either cap or player guarantees if not both. MLB and NBA players make oodles of guaranteed money as compared to NFL players. QB's will be the main beneficiaries of those changes ... 3 years from now I think Wentz deal will look pretty cheap.