• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We'll Be Trading Back

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Mock Draft by Charlie Campbell - Round 2 If only the draft fell this way...we could do a lot of damage trading around in the 2nd round... I think everyone could get what they want...lots of favorite choices who fell out of 1st rd....this draft strongly argues to stay put and use our ammo to maximize the 2nd rd. by trading up a bit where the cost is more reasonable. Tons of value in the 33-64 range especially in the 35-52 zone.:omg:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Mock Draft by Charlie Campbell - Round 2 If only the draft fell this way...we could do a lot of damage trading around in the 2nd round... I think everyone could get what they want...lots of favorite choices who fell out of 1st rd....this draft strongly argues to stay put and use our ammo to maximize the 2nd rd. by trading up a bit where the cost is more reasonable. Tons of value in the 33-64 range especially in the 35-52 zone.:omg:

Not a big fan of the Landry pick at all. His best-case scenario is basically a Boldin/Crabtree, and that's probably a stretch. He's the furthest thing from the type of WR we need at present.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we haven't traded up in the round, and if we receive a good offer, I think we've got to consider moving back. Our needs seem to be mounting (thank you Aldon and Culliver), and suddenly our six picks in the first 100 don't seem nearly enough to address all our issues....

I would agree, but to me, it 100% has to be a win for us because of the serious need of skill in positions like CB and WR in draft that is pretty deep. If there are 4-6 second tier WR and/or CB still on the board when we are on the clock at 30, then yeah, trade back into the early 2nd. But to trade back just because we want more picks isn't the smart play imo.

If I'm GM, I'm targeting the best CB and/or WR and trading UP to get one, much like we did with Reid. If Baalke thinks Evans, Gilbert, or Cooks is a serious baller that won't have a chance of being on the board at 30 and he trades 30 and 61 to move up to 12-16 range, THAT imo is the best play for elevating our team's talent level. We don't need 6 3 rd rounders. We need Pro Bowlers at skill positions as opposed to organizational depth.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Did he shrink? The last I knew he was 5' 9". Some say 5' 10". A bigger CB might not be the answer unless he has the speed that Verrett has .

I believe he came in a little over 5'9". NFL.com lists him at that height, but they don't do eighths of an inch. ESPN. has him at 5'9 1/2", which is what I also saw on NFLDraftScout.com, which is usually accurate in my experience.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of the Landry pick at all. His best-case scenario is basically a Boldin/Crabtree, and that's probably a stretch. He's the furthest thing from the type of WR we need at present.

I agree Crimson. I would rather have Matthews than Landry. I'm thinking the Niners might need to address pass rush with the uncertainty facing Aldon Smith.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Crimson. I would rather have Matthews than Landry. I'm thinking the Niners might need to address pass rush with the uncertainty facing Aldon Smith.

:agree: Yes we need to pick up a pass rusher late 2nd or 3rd rd just in case. I like the pass rusher from Missouri.

If im the 49ers I pick up the 5th option, hope he has a good season after he gets suspended and then trade him. I hate to say this because Smith is a beast.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yeah, the way this draft falls, I'd definitely go Matthews over Landry. I think Landry could end up being a good value pick if he falls due to his measurables, but he's pretty similar to the three receivers we currently have on our roster.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
:agree: Yes we need to pick up a pass rusher late 2nd or 3rd rd just in case. I like the pass rusher from Missouri.

If im the 49ers I pick up the 5th option, hope he has a good season after he gets suspended and then trade him. I hate to say this because Smith is a beast.

If you're talking about Ealy, there's no way he falls more than a few spots into the second (even with his stock taking a pretty serious hit, I have only seen him fall into the second a couple times), so we'd have to move up pretty aggressively for him. If you're talking about Sam, that's way too high for him

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the way this draft falls, I'd definitely go Matthews over Landry. I think Landry could end up being a good value pick if he falls due to his measurables, but he's pretty similar to the three receivers we currently have on our roster.

Crimson, what do you think of Damarcus Lawrence from Boise State? His stock seems to be moving up. He needs to get stronger if he plays DE, but he might be better suited as an OLB. He has the quickness to do so.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Crimson, what do you think of Damarcus Lawrence from Boise State? His stock seems to be moving up. He needs to get stronger if he plays DE, but he might be better suited as an OLB. He has the quickness to do so.

Honestly, my opinion on individual players in the draft isn't going to be worth all that much. I don't think I saw a single Boise State game this year, and just don't get to watch much college football.

Generally speaking, I don't like Lawrence in the first round. I think that's a bit high for him in a very strong draft. Beyond his pure talent, I have concerns about his character. We've already got an exceptional OLB with character issues. Lawrence has less physical talent, but possibly comparable off-field questions. In the first round, I'd look at a different player (Dee Ford?) over Lawrence if we're inclined to go OLB. If he's still there toward the end of the second, I think Lawrence gets pretty intriguing given the uncertainty surrounding Aldon.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If we think we're definitely losing Crabtree, a guy like Landry makes some sense to develop for one starting spot. But we desperately need some speed at WR, and that's not Landry's game at all.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Article comparing Landry to Boldin. Seems relevant as the mock in this thread has us taking him:

San Francisco 49ers News ? Niner Insider Blog » Another Anquan? LSU?s Landry shares plenty in common with Boldin

The biggest difference is that Boldin is 11 pounds heavier, and is probably the most physical receiver in the NFL. I'm not sure if Landry can match that physicality, and without that, Boldin wouldn't be nearly what he has been.

It's also worth noting that, as much as Boldin's workout wasn't very good, Landry's was a fair bit worse. 0.05 seconds off Boldin's slow 40 pace, five fewer inches on his vertical (he added two more at his pro day), three fewer inches on the broad jump, a poor bench number (12; Boldin didn't bench so far as I can tell), and more than 0.2 seconds slower on both the short shuttle and three-cone. It might be the last two numbers that are the most damning. He's got to get open somehow, and I'm not confident great routes alone will do it.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Per Rotoworld

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on SportsCenter Friday that he's "heard more than twice" the 49ers could be "ready to do something big" in May's draft.

Doesn't surprise me but I wonder what the definition of "something big" is. Top 5? Top 10? Top 15?

My guess would be in that 11-15 range since the cost of moving higher than that would be too high.

But as I've said before it makes complete sense since the roster needs impact and we have too many picks to use this year.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Evans, Mike Evans, Mike Evans

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we could be trading back. I don't have any evidence, I have just really been looking at Lamarcus Joyners season and see him as a great fit. He plays waaaayyyy bigger than his size. Tarell Brown was a starter for us at the same size. This guy is no joke, an absolute monster out there in the secondary.

Lock it up, we'll trade back or stay put for him.

I wasnt too far off, I knew a trade back or stay put for this type of player.
:yahoo:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they will be moving up in the 2nd at least once.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
DING DING DING ....yes we have a winner..we traded back for more picks multiple times and traded up once to get us some HYDE...RAWHYDE...keep them dogies moving ...RAWHYDE