• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We'll Be Trading Back

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see a small trade back into the upper portion of the 2nd round. The 2nd round seems to have the most value in this draft, because of its depth of talent.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tank accrued a year because he was put on the active roster for a few weeks. Lattimore did not.

Re: trading back, I agree it's unlikely. But if we did so I would expect multiple trades up with our picks in the second round on. Say we traded back from 30 to 36 and picked up an extra fourth-round pick (or perhaps a future pick?). We could package that 4th and the KC pick to move up to the mid-40s, and trade the Titans' 3rd round pick and our original 4th and 5th rounders to move back into late-second. That would give us four second-round picks, two third-round picks, and then a handful of seventh-round picks. That's not my preference, as I'd like to shoot for an impact player or two in this draft in addition to re-stocking the cupboard. But in a deep draft like this, we could come away with an awful lot of talent by doing something like that.

It's worth noting that late first-round picks are much more valuable than second-round picks under the new CBA, though. You get that fifth-year option for first rounders, which is pretty huge if a player really puts it together.

yep, we need quality, not quantity. doesn't make sense to trade back to gain draft ammo, just so we can trade up again into the 2nd round? not to mention there is no guarantee we find a trade partner(s) once we trade back?

doesn't make sense to trade our 30th into the future? maybe trade the 2nd's or 3rd's into 2015, for whatever the value is in 2015. but wouldn't trade back with our 1st.

if anything trade up into the teens or twenties if you REALLY want a specific player? else stay put and use the 30th pick to gain one 'impact' player. then try to trade up into the early 2nd round for another 'impact' player.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
However, the 2014 draft class is unusually deep—especially at the 49ers' positional needs—which means they could still target impact players in the second round or later. This facet, which is also argued by Levitt, would provide San Francisco with potentially three high-value picks.

Assuming for a moment that this is what the 49ers do, which prospects could the 49ers target?

We have touched on some of their immediate needs already, but let us stick with two—cornerback and wide receiver.

On the cornerback end, Baalke could be eyeballing prospects like TCU's Jason Verrett and Ohio State's Bradley Roby—both of whom are projected by CBSSports.com to be drafted as late first- or early second-round picks.

With the Redskins owning the 34th overall pick in the draft, Levitt's suggestion of trading down from No. 30 to No. 34 makes some sense here.

Or the 49ers could use that No. 34 pick to tab an impact wideout in a class that is equally as deep.

Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin and Penn State's Allen Robinson are both projected by CBSSports.com as late first- or early second-round picks as well, which means they could be on the board when San Francisco is slated to draft with the exchanged pick.

We cannot overlook fellow receivers like Davante Adams or Jordan Matthews—big guys who are also projected to go in Round 2.

It is a creative theory and one that could potentially provide the 49ers with added dividends when factoring in how deep this class is along with the team's future needs.

just read this and it makes some sense, so changing my opinion about not trading back. still think the odds are lower than 50%, but retracting "we will not be trading back".

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, the 2014 draft class is unusually deep—especially at the 49ers' positional needs—which means they could still target impact players in the second round or later. This facet, which is also argued by Levitt, would provide San Francisco with potentially three high-value picks.

Assuming for a moment that this is what the 49ers do, which prospects could the 49ers target?

We have touched on some of their immediate needs already, but let us stick with two—cornerback and wide receiver.

On the cornerback end, Baalke could be eyeballing prospects like TCU's Jason Verrett and Ohio State's Bradley Roby—both of whom are projected by CBSSports.com to be drafted as late first- or early second-round picks.

With the Redskins owning the 34th overall pick in the draft, Levitt's suggestion of trading down from No. 30 to No. 34 makes some sense here.

Or the 49ers could use that No. 34 pick to tab an impact wideout in a class that is equally as deep.

Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin and Penn State's Allen Robinson are both projected by CBSSports.com as late first- or early second-round picks as well, which means they could be on the board when San Francisco is slated to draft with the exchanged pick.

We cannot overlook fellow receivers like Davante Adams or Jordan Matthews—big guys who are also projected to go in Round 2.

It is a creative theory and one that could potentially provide the 49ers with added dividends when factoring in how deep this class is along with the team's future needs.

just read this and it makes some sense, so changing my opinion about not trading back. still think the odds are lower than 50%, but retracting "we will not be trading back".

I agree this draft is really deep with prospects at our need positions. I think it could go either way.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I could see a scenario where we trade the 1st round pick for a next year's 1st and some change.

OR

We trade the 1st to move back into the early 2nd for a 3rd rounder next year and trade away one of our late 2nd round picks for even more picks next season or to move up and get two high 2nd round picks.

It's just simply not economical to move back and acquire more picks for this draft unless you plan on using them as currency to move up or trade for more picks next year.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

If there's a team that wants to jump up for a QB or something, and offers a bounty to move back a few spots, I'd strongly consider it. That said, I think we're far more likely to jump up a few spots to take the guy we want.

And as said, because of the CBA and the fifth-year option for first round picks, there is a pretty decent drop-off in value for guys taken a few spots later if they turn out to be great.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I could see a scenario where we trade the 1st round pick for a next year's 1st and some change.

OR

We trade the 1st to move back into the early 2nd for a 3rd rounder next year and trade away one of our late 2nd round picks for even more picks next season or to move up and get two high 2nd round picks.

It's just simply not economical to move back and acquire more picks for this draft unless you plan on using them as currency to move up or trade for more picks next year.

agree

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

He really goes off the rails toward the end of this article. It's really rather amusing. A few favorites:

Yes, the 49ers are flush with a backfield-wreckage crew in their front seven. And yes, the same asset supply cannot be said about receiver and cornerback. But as the Seattle Seahawks proved in the Super Bowl, teams with dynamic pass-rushing depth are the perfect antidotes to the ubiquitous aerial assaults in this modern NFL game.

Yes, because the Seahawks were covering for a thin defensive backfield with their pass rush.... And better still:

Next up on the insane and inventive docket for Baalke is swapping the embattled Chris Culliver for the Cincinnati Bengals’ No. 24 overall selection.

Well he's got the insane part right, anyway. Though I'm sure plenty of teams are lining up to trade for a former third-round CB in the last year of his contract, coming off an ACL tear, who, in his last on-field action, was completely abused in the biggest game of his life, and was recently charged with a felony. Forget Josh Gordon for a second. Call right now and you can get Chris Culliver for a first! Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

Though upon continuing to read, it appears he actually wants us to package Culliver and #30. That makes SLIGHTLY more sense, but it still feels like Culliver doesn't have that kind of value right now.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really goes off the rails toward the end of this article. It's really rather amusing. A few favorites:

Yes, the 49ers are flush with a backfield-wreckage crew in their front seven. And yes, the same asset supply cannot be said about receiver and cornerback. But as the Seattle Seahawks proved in the Super Bowl, teams with dynamic pass-rushing depth are the perfect antidotes to the ubiquitous aerial assaults in this modern NFL game.

Yes, because the Seahawks were covering for a thin defensive backfield with their pass rush.... And better still:

Next up on the insane and inventive docket for Baalke is swapping the embattled Chris Culliver for the Cincinnati Bengals’ No. 24 overall selection.

Well he's got the insane part right, anyway. Though I'm sure plenty of teams are lining up to trade for a former third-round CB in the last year of his contract, coming off an ACL tear, who, in his last on-field action, was completely abused in the biggest game of his life, and was recently charged with a felony. Forget Josh Gordon for a second. Call right now and you can get Chris Culliver for a first! Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

Though upon continuing to read, it appears he actually wants us to package Culliver and #30. That makes SLIGHTLY more sense, but it still feels like Culliver doesn't have that kind of value right now.

Where did it imply Seattle had a thin secondary?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Where did it imply Seattle had a thin secondary?

He drew a comparison between what the Niners should do and what the Hawks have done, claiming specifically that their SB win proved that pass rush was the antidote to today's aerial assaults. Their pass rush was a big factor, but that defensive backfield is the best in football right now.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He drew a comparison between what the Niners should do and what the Hawks have done, claiming specifically that their SB win proved that pass rush was the antidote to today's aerial assaults. Their pass rush was a big factor, but that defensive backfield is the best in football right now.

he never said that anything was wrong with Seattle's secondary. That is just how you took it, probably because you were looking for faults. You were just saying how you didn't really like Bleacher Report. anytime you are looking for something, chances are you will find it

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
he never said that anything was wrong with Seattle's secondary. That is just how you took it, probably because you were looking for faults. You were just saying how you didn't really like Bleacher Report. anytime you are looking for something, chances are you will find it

Crim wasn't saying that the guy was saying there was something wrong with Seattle's secondary.

He's just refuting the notion that it was mainly Seattle's pass rush that neutralized passing attacks when it was in fact having one of the best secondaries of all time combined with a pass rush that held them.

In other words we don't need to load up on pass rushers (though it never hurts to have too many) but we need the secondary to be rock solid to allow the pass rush to get to the QB.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All I was saying is that it's a huge stretch to claim that the Hawks' SB proved that a great pass rush can neutralize a great passing offense, as the Hawks probably have the best defensive backfield/scheme in recent memory. I'm not even disputing the argument that we should consider a pass rusher in the first round.

Honestly, it was the Culliver thing that prompted me to post, and I just tossed in the Hawks thing as well since it seemed kind of silly. The author's biggest problem is a lack of clarity, not necessarily his ideas. He repeatedly omitted mention of the 30th pick when that was clearly part of draft trades he was proposing.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seahawks defense doesn't really have any weakness and the press man scheme they play is tough to gameplan against. Only one flaw I see is you can sometimes get the run game going on them and sometimes take advantage and gash them in the run game. But then it's hard for teams to parlay that into the passing game.

I thought the Saints did a nice job of running on them in the playoffs, and they came up with a nice gameplan to run on them... but it didn't really lead to great success in the passing game and Jimmy Graham was completely shut down. Our designed Kaepernick runs were great too but Seahawks caught onto those by the second half.

Also the Seahawks secondary is good enough that if they want to they can take one of your players completely out of the game (Jimmy Graham, Vernon for example).

Didn't their defense lead the league last year in almost every statistical category?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im reading things about 49ers jumping up to Pitts spot and drafting Dennard or Gilbert(whoever is there at that spot.)

again this is just a rumor. It was from bleacher report. So I know its not a good rumor.

I think this would be a good move. It said we would trade our 1st and 1 of our 2nd rd picks. I think the later one. I can see something like this happening.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also we might have to trade for a replacement for A. Smith just in case he gets in trouble again. Sign an OLB in the 2nd or 3rd rd to be safe.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im reading things about 49ers jumping up to Pitts spot and drafting Dennard or Gilbert(whoever is there at that spot.)

again this is just a rumor. It was from bleacher report. So I know its not a good rumor.

I think this would be a good move. It said we would trade our 1st and 1 of our 2nd rd picks. I think the later one. I can see something like this happening.

if they really feel strongly about a player, go get him. last year was a strong Safety class, but they wanted Reid specifically. same here, if they REALLY..............

not a fan of moving all the way up to the top 10, but 15th (?) is reasonable.