• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We'll Be Trading Back

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
One element to watch out for is one of the QBs slip there might be a team wanting to move up into the 1st round to get him.

Say for example Bridgewater slips and a team like the Jags might want to jump up and grab him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One element to watch out for is one of the QBs slip there might be a team wanting to move up into the 1st round to get him.

Say for example Bridgewater slips and a team like the Jags might want to jump up and grab him.

Especially with us at the end of the first round. A team might trade up so no one else who hadn't considered that QB because they assumed he'd be gone doesn't have a night to think about it. Obviously, any QB needy team would have him somewhere on their board, but time might make them more prepared to take him and not trade their pick (the QB needy team, not us). So maybe the Jags trade up like you say. Only Houston wouldn't unless they were scared of someone else doing so. Bid, please! They might gamble and try to trade with Seattle or Denver, though, instead.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I was saying is that it's a huge stretch to claim that the Hawks' SB proved that a great pass rush can neutralize a great passing offense, as the Hawks probably have the best defensive backfield/scheme in recent memory. I'm not even disputing the argument that we should consider a pass rusher in the first round.

Honestly, it was the Culliver thing that prompted me to post, and I just tossed in the Hawks thing as well since it seemed kind of silly. The author's biggest problem is a lack of clarity, not necessarily his ideas. He repeatedly omitted mention of the 30th pick when that was clearly part of draft trades he was proposing.

I think you mean they have the best defensive backfield at getting away with holds in the history of the league. When you're allowed to play outside of the rules it's pretty easy to look amazing.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also we might have to trade for a replacement for A. Smith just in case he gets in trouble again. Sign an OLB in the 2nd or 3rd rd to be safe.

Like trade up in the draft, or trade for a player? I can certainly see us drafting an OLB at this point, I don't see a trade for a player. Skuta played well at OLB last year, and Lemonier is young and talented. I don't think we'll improve on them much by trading for a player that a team is willing to let walk at this point.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
if they really feel strongly about a player, go get him. last year was a strong Safety class, but they wanted Reid specifically. same here, if they REALLY..............

not a fan of moving all the way up to the top 10, but 15th (?) is reasonable.

15th is high for my tastes - that's probably going to cost at least the two 3rd rounders we can trade if not a second and a third, but if it's for a shutdown corner I can live with it. That said, until the guy proves he's a shutdown corner, I reserve the right to gripe about it. :whistle:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think you mean they have the best defensive backfield at getting away with holds in the history of the league. When you're allowed to play outside of the rules it's pretty easy to look amazing.

Whatever the reason is, they're extremely good.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
15th is high for my tastes - that's probably going to cost at least the two 3rd rounders we can trade if not a second and a third, but if it's for a shutdown corner I can live with it. That said, until the guy proves he's a shutdown corner, I reserve the right to gripe about it. :whistle:

of course, that's what fans do best......gripe.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Especially with us at the end of the first round. A team might trade up so no one else who hadn't considered that QB because they assumed he'd be gone doesn't have a night to think about it. Obviously, any QB needy team would have him somewhere on their board, but time might make them more prepared to take him and not trade their pick (the QB needy team, not us). So maybe the Jags trade up like you say. Only Houston wouldn't unless they were scared of someone else doing so. Bid, please! They might gamble and try to trade with Seattle or Denver, though, instead.

If Houston goes defense with it's 1st pick I could see a few teams looking to hop back into the 1st round to grab a QB if one slips.

Also you have to consider hopping back into the 1st means you would lock up a QB for an additional year over making him a 2nd rounder and if he is a legit franchise QB that's an extra year before you have to dole out a mega contract.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Houston goes defense with it's 1st pick I could see a few teams looking to hop back into the 1st round to grab a QB if one slips.

Also you have to consider hopping back into the 1st means you would lock up a QB for an additional year over making him a 2nd rounder and if he is a legit franchise QB that's an extra year before you have to dole out a mega contract.

If we haven't traded up in the round, and if we receive a good offer, I think we've got to consider moving back. Our needs seem to be mounting (thank you Aldon and Culliver), and suddenly our six picks in the first 100 don't seem nearly enough to address all our issues....

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If we haven't traded up in the round, and if we receive a good offer, I think we've got to consider moving back. Our needs seem to be mounting (thank you Aldon and Culliver), and suddenly our six picks in the first 100 don't seem nearly enough to address all our issues....

My guess is we'll already have traded up by than.

We have too many picks for this year and the roster needs impact guys to put it over the edge. It wouldn't shock me if we shot up to grab a corner like Gilbert if he falls into that mid teens range.

But if we stand pat at 30 I can see us very interested in trading back and hopefully get picks for next season since the talent drop off isn't supposed to be huge for guys into the 2nd round.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My guess is we'll already have traded up by than.

We have too many picks for this year and the roster needs impact guys to put it over the edge. It wouldn't shock me if we shot up to grab a corner like Gilbert if he falls into that mid teens range.

But if we stand pat at 30 I can see us very interested in trading back and hopefully get picks for next season since the talent drop off isn't supposed to be huge for guys into the 2nd round.

That's my sense as well.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I resent that. I do a great job of screaming profanities at the television (and very occasionally at my neighbors) on game days.

I used to be like that in the 70's and 80's, now too old to even sustain a scream??!!

a loud 'gripe'...yes, screaming profanities.....no. :-)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB in rd 1. I just can't see them drafting a WR in the 1st when CB is a position of need. Also we can grab a WR in Rd 2.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
CB in rd 1. I just can't see them drafting a WR in the 1st when CB is a position of need. Also we can grab a WR in Rd 2.

want us to get the best players we can, even if its a WR. we should take the most value even if its neither CB or WR?

but the more I keep reading draft things here, the more I tend to agree with CB. by the time its 30th, seems like the 'BPA' will be either CB or WR? so if its equal enough then go CB first, it appears WR has more 'equal' numbers into the 2nd round.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking at a lot of mocks recently and 3-4 DE seems to be the BPA that is falling to #30. CB will be #5 or 6th best BP-CB available. Verett won the poll here but Im very leary of drafting a 5'8' Cb even at his skill level. Sure he can play slot CB but I'd much rather draft the bigger CB than one that can only play slot. Our CBs are not all that big/impressive right now and I'd like to go in the direction of bigger (hold your breath "Seattle" version) of CBs. Cant beat em join em mentality.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking at a lot of mocks recently and 3-4 DE seems to be the BPA that is falling to #30. CB will be #5 or 6th best BP-CB available. Verett won the poll here but Im very leary of drafting a 5'8' Cb even at his skill level. Sure he can play slot CB but I'd much rather draft the bigger CB than one that can only play slot. Our CBs are not all that big/impressive right now and I'd like to go in the direction of bigger (hold your breath "Seattle" version) of CBs. Cant beat em join em mentality.

yes, if our BPA turns out to be a DE, fine with me. main thing is look at these prospects longer term.

granted we have a good roster now and don't have to go BPA every round. I'd think BPA for the 1st and 2nd rounds, cause that is three picks.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he shrink? The last I knew he was 5' 9". Some say 5' 10". A bigger CB might not be the answer unless he has the speed that Verrett has .

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You cant teach size or speed. Verrett is great for his size but will fall due to his size and recent labium shoulder surgery. While people will argue that the shoulder surgery is not that big a deal, it does take some time to recover from and will not help his draft stock. If we draft him at #30 we will getting a fast,quick corner who will be devoted to the slot primarily. With a #1 pick I would rather have a guy who can play eventually on an island and not have matchup problems with the bigger receivers. Even in the slot, there is a trend toward bigger slot guys. For example: How does he match up against a slower Amaro who has a tremendous size advantage? I wish it wernt so but I see potential mismatches if we go in this direction since we don't really have big corners except for Culliver who has his own set of problems. Last 2 years we have gone with what we had and in the SB and encounters with Seattle we have not got it done when it counted especially the D which we were depending on. I just think we need to go in the direction of bigger guys who can hopefully be quick enough. The game is turning more into a shove match jump ball thype of game with a lot of holding and pushing and I just think a bigger guy has the advantage in this type of situation. Goes for receivers I like too, I'm not as high on Cooks as most either. ( My size 5'8" 4.45 speed ):rollseyes: