• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welcome to Seattle Mr. Cano

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good hitting second baseman isn't going to make them exponentially better. Not only that, they wrapped up a ton of cap space to sign this guy. It MAY be good for business, as far as ticket and jersey sales, but they aren't going anywhere with this one signing. He's not in the league of a good Pujols or Hamilton. Not to me.

Hamilton, really? :lol:

Hamilton's had what, 2 great years? The last time Cano didn't have a great year was 2009.

A 2nd baseman like Cano is easily worth more than an outfielder like Hamilton....good hitting outfielders aren't too hard to find. You can't really find another 2B that hits like Cano.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take

It is a bad deal only in terms of years, everything else is a positive.

1. It sends a signal to agents that the Mariners are serious about contending and will no longer be the pawn in getting their clients more money from other clubs.

2. It will get more fans to at least come see the Mariners play. The Mariners care more about the casual fan than they ever had about diehard baseball fans. But they have alienating most of the diehards and hope this is a sign in a chance of philosophy more along the lines of the Seahawks and Sounders.

3. And most importantly it opens up a ton of trading options since they are stock piled with players who are really second basemen. Having Franklin, Miller, Ackley and Seager all available in trade talks avoids Walker being dealt for a mid level starter.

On a side note, I do think that more deals are in the works because regardless of money I do not feel Cano would become a Mariner without being promised more help around him.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take

It is a bad deal only in terms of years, everything else is a positive.

1. It sends a signal to agents that the Mariners are serious about contending and will no longer be the pawn in getting their clients more money from other clubs.

2. It will get more fans to at least come see the Mariners play. The Mariners care more about the casual fan than they ever had about diehard baseball fans. But they have alienating most of the diehards and hope this is a sign in a chance of philosophy more along the lines of the Seahawks and Sounders.

3. And most importantly it opens up a ton of trading options since they are stock piled with players who are really second basemen. Having Franklin, Miller, Ackley and Seager all available in trade talks avoids Walker being dealt for a mid level starter.

On a side note, I do think that more deals are in the works because regardless of money I do not feel Cano would become a Mariner without being promised more help around him.

They had to do it. I was a diehard fan and last year I dropped the team because I figured it was a waste of time rooting for a team that couldn't care less about results on the field. It really was getting to the point where the hardcore fan base was going away. Not that it was big to begin with, but when things get that bad a move has to be made because the org is in trouble. It's a bad contract but at least it's for a guy who's proven over several years to be one of the best players in baseball. Hopefully he can play well into his later years like Jeter has shown he was capable of.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not guaranteed that he will decline in #'s after 35. A few names of infielders that played REALLY well until 40:
Horsnby-played until 41
Ripken-Solid until 40
Jeter
Jeff Kent
Darrell Evans
Graig Nettles
Wade Boggs
Chipper Jones
George Brett

Do I think he will be putting up video game #'s at 40? No but it doesnt mean he won't be productive and at 40-41 hopefully we will be paying him $25 mill as a tribute to the World Series Titles he will bring to the Mariners organization. Hopefully we will be calling him "Mr. Mariner" at that point and hold him in the same regards as Griffey, Martinez and Ichiro.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not guaranteed that he will decline in #'s after 35. A few names of infielders that played REALLY well until 40:
Horsnby-played until 41
Ripken-Solid until 40
Jeter
Jeff Kent
Darrell Evans
Graig Nettles
Wade Boggs
Chipper Jones
George Brett

Define "really well?"

-Ripken from age 35 to the end of his career hit .273 with a 96 OPS+ while playing a fairly average 3B

-Jeter's been solid offensively, but has had some years that have been ok but nothing special (even for SS standards)...his defense is still subpar

-Evans had some good years late in his career, but he also moved to an easier position in 1B which hurt his value

-Kent hit in line with his career averages until the end of his career, so I'll give you that...he didn't seem to decline much

-Nettles decline a good amount after age 33 (particularly defensively). He only had 1 season after 33 where his WAR was at least 3, compared to his prime (ages 25-33) where he averaged a WAR of almost 6 per year

-Boggs was still pretty good, but declined a lot...up to age 34 he hit .345 with a .906 OPS, and afterwards hit .300 with a .778 OPS

-Chipper Jones hit well overall in his 30s, but had trouble staying healthy....not to mention from age 37 on he hit .273

-Brett from age 36 on hit .284 with a 114 OPS+, which ain't so good when you consider he was a 1B/DH at that point (and 1B/DHs that hit like that are basically dime a dozen).

So I don't know how these guys are helping the notion that Cano won't necessarily decline? Most of these guys did decline in their mid 30s and/or had to move to easier positions to prolong their careers