• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welcome to Seattle Mr. Cano

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nintendo does have the proverbial "deep pockets," but will they spend the money wisely?

Tom Yawkey had the pockets but wasted TONS of money as owner of my Red Sox.

You'd better hope Nintendo knows more about baseball than Yawkey did.

For sure.

Any good team has to mix farm building, revenue-neutral/team-enhancing trades, and free agent acquisitions.

You have to understand we have seen nothing even close to competent for ANY of the above for the past decade.

Seeing our fo/owners go after a free agent this aggressively is hard to get upset about. As I've said several times, overspending is the only way to get an all star free agent to come here, and Cano was the top offensive FA this year having finished in the top 5 for the MVP.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a good contract, but it's the going rate for bad ones. Look at what Pujols signed for. It's a bold, desperate move by a team that needed to make a bold, desperate move.

Annnd, look at the Angels. They signed two horrible contracts in consecutive years and their best player is Trout. I'm not saying this won't pay off but I find it unlikely. It's all conjecture at this point but I'm just not happy with the signing. Maybe it pays off in other ways other than on the field and can make Seattle a more, desirable destination for future, prospective free agents.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen the contract, is it front loaded?

If it's back loaded, this could become an issue. Much like the problems we had with Alfonso Soriano.

We know Cano got a full no-trade clause. We don't know specifics of the deal yet.

I'm betting it's a graduated payment schedule through 2021 or so, with reductions in the last 2-3 years. It doesn't really matter, though. He'll hold the reigns when/if his value decreases.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know Cano got a full no-trade clause. We don't know specifics of the deal yet.

I'm betting it's a graduated payment schedule through 2021 or so, with reductions in the last 2-3 years. It doesn't really matter, though. He'll hold the reigns when/if his value decreases.

I just don't like this contract. I know if the Cubs did this, I don't think I'd be too happy.

The money isn't the issue, it's the years.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely its the years, but a small market team in southern Alaska has to over pay and in this case Cano wanted years.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great signing for the mariners. I just question if the 240 over 10 years is still too much! The guy is 31 years old and has never been a top player in the league. I can't see giving a guy practically ranked between 20-30 in the league such an extended contract. I guess that is what you have to do now a days to get a franchise player...good signing nonetheless!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great signing for the mariners. I just question if the 240 over 10 years is still too much! The guy is 31 years old and has never been a top player in the league. I can't see giving a guy practically ranked between 20-30 in the league such a big contract. I guess that is what you have to do now a days to get a franchise player...good signing nonetheless!

Cano finished top 5 in MVP voting.

But yeah, you're completely right. It's way too much for way too long for a 31 year old.

That's the price the M's have to pay to get an AS caliber free agent. It's something that people outside of the abyss of Seattle just don't understand all that well.

Things might change in the future with that if Cano does well, though.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No opt-out clause for Cano with this 10 year contract, per Ken Rosenthal.

That's intriguing, really. Opt-out clauses have been a staple for a lot of elite free agents, and several have indeed opted out of their contracts after 3 or more years.

Interesting.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, this only makes sense viewing it in the context of Hernandez. You only get a SP on your team that great and durable a handful of times in a lifetime. And getting that type of player for 10+ years in his prime years might only happen on average a couple times in a lifetime. So this is hopefully the solid start of a push to finally get some good players around him I'm not really thrilled by anything else about this. I'm not sure Cano is even going to deserve to make the Hall of Fame.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Annnd, look at the Angels. They signed two horrible contracts in consecutive years and their best player is Trout. I'm not saying this won't pay off but I find it unlikely. It's all conjecture at this point but I'm just not happy with the signing. Maybe it pays off in other ways other than on the field and can make Seattle a more, desirable destination for future, prospective free agents.

Everyone knew that Hamilton was a little bit of a risk but nobody thought that Pujols was going to drop off like he did right away and the contract was going to turn into an albatross around their neck the second they signed it. If Cano produces like he's capable of for the next 5 seasons then it's probably worth it. The team needs something right now.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone knew that Hamilton was a little bit of a risk but nobody thought that Pujols was going to drop off like he did right away and the contract was going to turn into an albatross around their neck the second they signed it. If Cano produces like he's capable of for the next 5 seasons then it's probably worth it. The team needs something right now.

A good hitting second baseman isn't going to make them exponentially better. Not only that, they wrapped up a ton of cap space to sign this guy. It MAY be good for business, as far as ticket and jersey sales, but they aren't going anywhere with this one signing. He's not in the league of a good Pujols or Hamilton. Not to me.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good hitting second baseman isn't going to make them exponentially better. Not only that, they wrapped up a ton of cap space to sign this guy. It MAY be good for business, as far as ticket and jersey sales, but they aren't going anywhere with this one signing. He's not in the league of a good Pujols or Hamilton. Not to me.

Nobody knows what this team's "cap space" is.

The M's have to overpay for all star caliber free agents.

They tried to overpay for Hamilton last year, and failed to get him because he got equal money from a better club, as every excellent free agents know they can.

Fans of big market successful teams simply don't get it, and probably never will.

Cano for 10 years at this price is absurd for most teams, yes. Absolutely. The Giants, Yankees, Red Sox, etc would be idiots to do it. We all know that, and exactly nobody argues against it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Pujols bounces back when he gets healthy. Josh Hamilton could bounce back as well.

This is the price we have to pay.

I look at it like this; I would rather overpay for Cano than have nothing. Who knows, maybe they are counting on rapid inflation LOL.

Cano alone does not make us a contender but he is a large step in the direction of making us one. Robinson Cano is by far the best 2nd baseman in MLB right now. The Mariners offensive production from their middle infielders has been laughable in comparison to the rest of the league.

But more importantly he brings interest and hope back into the franchise. I have been one of the more cynical Mariners fans but this has actually restored my faith in the possibility of making the playoffs sometime in my life.

Signing Cano alone will bring a lot more interest to the team. Plus word is the Mariners are still looking for a top end starting pitcher and another bat for the lineup.

With top prospects Taijuan Walker and James Paxton both likely starting in the rotation this year, another year of progression for our younger players + those additions and the Mariners could compete for a playoff spot. Cano alone won't do it but if the Mariners stand true and add another bat and another starting pitcher I think they have a pretty strong team.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pujols bounces back when he gets healthy. Josh Hamilton could bounce back as well.

This is the price we have to pay.

I look at it like this; I would rather overpay for Cano than have nothing. Who knows, maybe they are counting on rapid inflation LOL.

Cano alone does not make us a contender but he is a large step in the direction of making us one. Robinson Cano is by far the best 2nd baseman in MLB right now. The Mariners offensive production from their middle infielders has been laughable in comparison to the rest of the league.

But more importantly he brings interest and hope back into the franchise. I have been one of the more cynical Mariners fans but this has actually restored my faith in the possibility of making the playoffs sometime in my life.

Signing Cano alone will bring a lot more interest to the team. Plus word is the Mariners are still looking for a top end starting pitcher and another bat for the lineup.

With top prospects Taijuan Walker and James Paxton both likely starting in the rotation this year, another year of progression for our younger players + those additions and the Mariners could compete for a playoff spot. Cano alone won't do it but if the Mariners stand true and add another bat and another starting pitcher I think they have a pretty strong team.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm not a fan of the years in the contract, but man am I glad he is a Mariner. With his bat in the lineup, it'll protect the young players in the lineup a little bit. Now to shore up the bullpen and hopefully Paxton will lock down the #4 spot in the rotation behind Felix, Iwakuma, and Walker.

One of many possible lineups

1. Bloomquist - LF / Utility
2. Seager - 3B
3. Miller - DH / Utility
4. Cano - 2B
5. Franklin - SS / Utility
6. Smoak - 1B
7. Zunino - C
8. Saunders - CF
9. Ackley - RF

The M's have a ton of versatility in the infield with that lineup.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is truly only the first move of many to win now (the next 4-5 years), then I am ok with it. If they are going to try and get retreads to fill all the other spots or trade away our big pitching prospects, then I will be disgusted.

I can't believe briwas isn't here raining on everything. I was upset, but am coming around. I am sure he is fuming.

I'm with you on thoughts about this trade. If it's just the first move fine, but if this is it, boooooooo.

As for Briwas, you must of missed it, he's banned from Sportshoopla. Nobody is going to miss that asshole.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you on thoughts about this trade. If it's just the first move fine, but if this is it, boooooooo.

As for Briwas, you must of missed it, he's banned from Sportshoopla. Nobody is going to miss that asshole.

Lol, I just know he's itching like a madman wanting to log on and bash this deal to the ground with his long, babbling posts.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if this is an indication that the team is increasing their payroll and this is just the first step of a team with a larger budget, then it's a great move.

But, if this is a move in an attempt to fit him into the same payroll the team has been working under for the last few years, then this move has effectively doomed the team to less than mediocre for the next decade.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if this is an indication that the team is increasing their payroll and this is just the first step of a team with a larger budget, then it's a great move.

But, if this is a move in an attempt to fit him into the same payroll the team has been working under for the last few years, then this move has effectively doomed the team to less than mediocre for the next decade.

100% agree.

I have to assume adding Cano is a step in the direction of pushing the payroll back to the $120m range it used to be.

The front office would be completely and utterly idiotic to spend $25m per year on Cano if they figure that is all to sign. I have to assume they would not have signed Cano if they did not have a lot more money to spend even after adding him to the payroll.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree.

I have to assume adding Cano is a step in the direction of pushing the payroll back to the $120m range it used to be.

The front office would be completely and utterly idiotic to spend $25m per year on Cano if they figure that is all to sign. I have to assume they would not have signed Cano if they did not have a lot more money to spend even after adding him to the payroll.

I agree. I cannot fathom why they would even want to be in the rumors of making this deal if they weren't ready to spend money. I just fear that that is too logical to be applied with the Mariners....:rollseyes:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. There's no "cap" in baseball. If the team looks like it's close this year then maybe ownership spends money on short term contracts for 2015 for a run
2. It doesn't matter what position Cano's at. The point is that he's a huge + at the position he does play and it's very hard a guy who plays 2nd that can provide that kind of offense.

The biggest problem with the M's has been not getting good offensive production out of the positions where you need it, which is at DH and 1B. We just need average/above average from those slots to get a boost. Smoak's/Montero are looking like huge busts and it's probably time to pull the plug on both of them because we can't wait anymore.