• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welcome to Seattle Mr. Cano

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle got a bat

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats M's fans!

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in shock!! We could go back and fourth with the contract, was it good or not? It's not coming out of my pocket, way to go Z!! No we have a good trade chip or chips in Franklin and Ackley to go out and hopefully get someone like Kemp.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in shock!! We could go back and fourth with the contract, was it good or not? It's not coming out of my pocket, way to go Z!! No we have a good trade chip or chips in Franklin and Ackley to go out and hopefully get someone like Kemp.

Well is Ellsbury is worth the money he got then I guess that the Cano contract is reasonable.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this, of the last two overpay situations in Prince & Hamilton I think this is the best of them all. Cano will help in so many ways, and hopefully it opens the door for other free agents. If we were gonna overpay I am glad it was him that decided to sign and not one of the other two.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with others, if we were going to overpay last year & the year before that- this is the player we want. Hopefully this will finally get the ball rolling! Now time toget another bat or 2 to compliment him!!

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this, of the last two overpay situations in Prince & Hamilton I think this is the best of them all. Cano will help in so many ways, and hopefully it opens the door for other free agents. If we were gonna overpay I am glad it was him that decided to sign and not one of the other two.

I agree. His skill set should transfer later in his career. He many not put up 25-30 homers in late 30s, but he should still be a solid 300 hitter. Good swings tend to be timeless, right Edgar...

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats M's fans, you got a hell of a player, just don't expect him to hustle down the first base line. That's not how he rolls.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats M's fans, you got a hell of a player, just don't expect him to hustle down the first base line. That's not how he rolls.

They key point in your comment is that fact that he will make it to first base eventually. We needed a guy that can do that ;-)

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly am not here to smack talk or start up a shit storm...but I am a bit surprised you guys are so behind a 10 year 240 million dollar deal for a 31 year old who benefited from a short porch in left at Yankee stadium and hitting in that lineup for most of his career. I am in no way trying to say he is a bad player...just not worth that kind of money considering his age and impending decline in numbers with your ballpark.

I get the desire to want to improve a club and it must be nice to have a owner who wants to spend money to do so...believe me...from a O's fan I envy this. But doesnt this deal seriously strap you of cash for the future?

I know this post wont be well perceived...and to be honest if the situation was reversed I would be defending the move to the end. I would call myself an idiot and give a bazillion reasons why I thought so. But being unbiased I am surprised that everyone is on board with the amount spent for a 31 year old who will surely not reach his career highs ever again.

Dont hurt me to much.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truly am not here to smack talk or start up a shit storm...but I am a bit surprised you guys are so behind a 10 year 240 million dollar deal for a 31 year old who benefited from a short porch in left at Yankee stadium and hitting in that lineup for most of his career. I am in no way trying to say he is a bad player...just not worth that kind of money considering his age and impending decline in numbers with your ballpark.

I get the desire to want to improve a club and it must be nice to have a owner who wants to spend money to do so...believe me...from a O's fan I envy this. But doesnt this deal seriously strap you of cash for the future?

I know this post wont be well perceived...and to be honest if the situation was reversed I would be defending the move to the end. I would call myself an idiot and give a bazillion reasons why I thought so. But being unbiased I am surprised that everyone is on board with the amount spent for a 31 year old who will surely not reach his career highs ever again.

Dont hurt me to much.

Your post is very understandable, but after 10+ years of garbage we had to do something. The M's don't get Cano unless you pay top dollar. With that being said, we have less than $40 million on the books for this year. We have money, so why not spend it.

hawkfan1073

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dont hurt me to much.

Cautious optimism is what I have for this deal. Honestly, do I think it was the smart move? No but i think A move needed to be made especially when you look beyond 2013 at the upcoming FA class. Taking that into account Cano was the ONLY player worth throwing the bank at.
As far as benefiting from a short porch....if it was such a gimme then why didn't every left hand batter have a WAR of 7+ over the past 5 seasons? I think Cano is the best second baseman in the game HANDS DOWN.
Everyone knew it was gonna cost alot to get him and when you are talking about ridiculous amount of money that doesn't come out of anyone on this boards bank account I think you will hear a resounding "Fuck yes!" from the Mariner faithful. I would rather see an exciting high priced team than a $36-50 million a year shitty ass payroll lame fucking team again.....right?

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cautious optimism is what I have for this deal. Honestly, do I think it was the smart move? No but i think A move needed to be made especially when you look beyond 2013 at the upcoming FA class. Taking that into account Cano was the ONLY player worth throwing the bank at.
As far as benefiting from a short porch....if it was such a gimme then why didn't every left hand batter have a WAR of 7+ over the past 5 seasons? I think Cano is the best second baseman in the game HANDS DOWN.
Everyone knew it was gonna cost alot to get him and when you are talking about ridiculous amount of money that doesn't come out of anyone on this boards bank account I think you will hear a resounding "Fuck yes!" from the Mariner faithful. I would rather see an exciting high priced team than a $36-50 million a year shitty ass payroll lame fucking team again.....right?

I can understand all that. I do. This is how I felt after we signed Tejada a few years back and we looked like we were primed to be great...then half way through the season the floor fell through and the rest is history...

But I understand the desire as a fanbase to want to win no matter the cost. This is something i have desired since the 97 season with the O's. I wish you all good luck and am honestly happy to see him out of the AL east. I think a cautious optimism is a good approach. I hope the deal doesnt blow up in your face. I think for the next 3 years the deal will look likes its worth it...but after that I believe you guys will be begging for someone to take him in a trade and be footing most of the bill to boot.

BTW just a personal correction for my post earlier I said short left porch meant short right porcht...had left on my mind because he is a left handed hitter.

Good luck:suds:

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dont hurt me to much.

The past 3 years, his home/road splits combined:

Home - .307 AVG, .371 OBP, .542 SLG
Road: - .311 AVG, .371 OBP, .525 OBP

If you wanna go back a year further to 2010, he hit .341 with a .947 OPS on the road compared to a .298/.881 at Yankee Stadium (I used the 3 year averages up top since ESPN has a 3-year split, but laziness prevents me from adding his 2010 totals to that).

In other words, his home/road splits don't show that Yankee Stadium helps his as much as you seem to think.

obibyn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other words, his home/road splits don't show that Yankee Stadium helps his as much as you seem to think.

Apparently not...but I think hitting in lineups filled with all-stars did. However he had a good year last year and was the main guy in a lineup that had retreads...and he apparently made others around him better.

I agree he is a good player...and solid vet who will help glue your lineup together...I guess the whole money/contract is what I was thinking more of along the lines of is he/will he be worth it.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dont hurt me to much.

I am concerned about the length of the contract. I am not a fan of 8,9,10 year deals especially for 31 year old players. I don't expect Cano to be the same player at 40 as he is at 31. I expect 4-5 years of the really good Cano, then a few years of good Cano then father time sets in and he becomes overpaid.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am concerned about the length of the contract. I am not a fan of 8,9,10 year deals especially for 31 year old players. I don't expect Cano to be the same player at 40 as he is at 31. I expect 4-5 years of the really good Cano, then a few years of good Cano then father time sets in and he becomes overpaid.

You won't see most perennial contenders signing the monster 10-year contracts to 30 year old position players anymore. Not in the post-uber-PED era.

Only desperate teams like the M's will do it. Outside of a small handful of desperate teams, you simply won't see it. Even the Yanks have come around. The original deal they offered Cano, or the deal they gave to Ellsbury is about as far as most teams will go in the future, IMO.

I'm fine with the M's doing it though....completely shocked, of course, but it's good in my eyes.

If Nintendo is willing to do this, they might do more in the future. Investing revenue from the 17 year/$2 billion deal is something I wasn't really expecting, so it's hard for me to be anything but happy.

Cano performing well through his mid 30s would be wonderful if we kept him that long (depends on if he'd consider waiving his full no-trade clause), but another important aspect of this is that it might break the roadblock we've had trying to attract any FA of note to come here. Cano doing well might actually make other excellent batters less reticent to come here. It's a big deal if you look long-term.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for a 31 year old who benefited from a short porch in left at Yankee stadium

I can understand the concern about giving Cano a 10 year $240m contract but if you look at his career splits:

Home: 2812 PA 165 2B 110 HR .305 BA .351 OBP .507 SLG
Away: 2979 PA 210 2B 95 HR .312 BA .359 OBP .503 SLG

The home/away splits are not alarmingly different.

I have my concerns about the cost and duration of the contract but in all honesty I am just happy to finally have someone who can hit.