• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welcome to Seattle Mr. Cano

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to hate the signing of Robinson Cano due to the cost but I just can't. I am just happy to see the Mariners making a move for a top end player. Even if the salary is too much.

I can completely rationalize why some Mariners fans are adamantly opposed to it though.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is truly only the first move of many to win now (the next 4-5 years), then I am ok with it. If they are going to try and get retreads to fill all the other spots or trade away our big pitching prospects, then I will be disgusted.

I can't believe briwas isn't here raining on everything. I was upset, but am coming around. I am sure he is fuming.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his offensive numbers will dip. He's used to hitting all those homers into the short right porch in NY. Seattle I believe is more pitcher friendly than hitter. Maybe for once Cano will be forced to actually run out of the batters box.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his offensive numbers will dip. He's used to hitting all those homers into the short right porch in NY. Seattle I believe is more pitcher friendly than hitter. Maybe for once Cano will be forced to actually run out of the batters box.

Instead of upper 20s, he'll hit lower 20s with more doubles. Not that big of a deal.

Hustling out of the box, now that i am concerned about.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Home runs have little impact on avg and overall oWAR.

Besides, some of our horrifically bad kids have hit 20+ homers even with Safeco as their home field. Cano hit 27 last year, I think. I'm betting Cano still hits around 25, and even if he doesn't, all of his other numbers should be fine. Safeco is great for players who hit hard line drives consistently for extra bases. That's Cano. We haven't had anybody decent at it in a very long time.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Instead of upper 20s, he'll hit lower 20s with more doubles. Not that big of a deal.

we've always agreed about most things, i've found

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think his power numbers will dip too much. I don't think he will hit 30 again but I think it is safe to assume 20-25 with an increased amount of doubles.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That feel when responding to a post and see someone else already said what I was going to say...

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This signing smacks of the A-Rod deal in Texas. I've always kinda rooted for the M's and I don't like this deal. $240,000,000 for a 31 year old second baseman doesn't make sense. Good luck, though, guys.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This signing smacks of the A-Rod deal in Texas. I've always kinda rooted for the M's and I don't like this deal. $240,000,000 for a 31 year old second baseman doesn't make sense. Good luck, though, guys.

I don't think many of us are happy about the years. After a decade of incompetance it is nice to see them at least look like they are trying. This will only be a positive thing if they get a couple more bats and a number 2 or 3 pitcher as well as a couple BP guys.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thanks for the well-wishes.

However, this deal had less to do with Cano's actual value, and more to do with the M's utter desperation to get a free agent of any import to sign here.

The best hitter we've gotten in half a decade (morales) was the result of a trade, not a FA signing.

Other good to excellent free agents could get the same or more money that Seattle was willing to offer from a better team (i.e., most teams besides the M's), with a more hitter-friendly ballpark (i.e., most ballparks besides Safeco) in a city closer to their homes (i.e., most cities outside of Seattle).

Excellent teams would never pay this much for this many years for a 31 year old Cano. Fortunately for him, Seattle exists.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think many of us are happy about the years. After a decade of incompetance it is nice to see them at least look like they are trying. This will only be a positive thing if they get a couple more bats and a number 2 or 3 pitcher as well as a couple BP guys.

I'm not up on the Mariners' cap space. Do they have the money to sign the bats and the pitcher that you guys need to make this deal worthwhile?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not a good contract, but it's the going rate for bad ones. Look at what Pujols signed for. It's a bold, desperate move by a team that needed to make a bold, desperate move.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not up on the Mariners' cap space. Do they have the money to sign the bats and the pitcher that you guys need to make this deal worthwhile?

We have no idea what the M's front office/Nintendo owners intend when it comes to a spending cap.

This is the first indication they've given that they'll spend big money. Could be that they're genuinely interested in building a contender...or could be that they hope this signing, alone, may get some sheep in the seats again.

None of us know, plain and simple.

We do know that our Nintendo owners just set up a media deal for $2 billion over the next 17 years. We are as eager to see whether or not they invest that revenue back into the team as anybody else.

For the first time in a long time, the Cano deal gives me some hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 years for a 31 year old player? That's going to hurt in about 4 years or so.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yep, but he doesn't rely on speed or power to do what he does. He has a good OBP and avg. and plays good defense. Skills that don't diminish quite as quickly as a power hitter or speed guy.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no idea what the M's front office/Nintendo owners intend when it comes to a spending cap.

This is the first indication they've given that they'll spend big money. Could be that they're genuinely interested in building a contender...or could be that they hope this signing, alone, may get some sheep in the seats again.

None of us know, plain and simple.

We do know that our Nintendo owners just set up a media deal for $2 billion over the next 17 years. We are as eager to see whether or not they invest that revenue back into the team as anybody else.

For the first time in a long time, the Cano deal gives me some hope.

Nintendo does have the proverbial "deep pockets," but will they spend the money wisely?

Tom Yawkey had the pockets but wasted TONS of money as owner of my Red Sox.

You'd better hope Nintendo knows more about baseball than Yawkey did.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it is extremely difficult to project how players will age. Every player seems to handle it differently but as another poster mentioned Cano does not rely on speed or brute strength so he should have solid longevity for the Mariners.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, but he doesn't rely on speed or power to do what he does. He has a good OBP and avg. and plays good defense. Skills that don't diminish quite as quickly as a power hitter or speed guy.

Yeah this is true.

Also, in a few years, he could make the move to full time DH if need be, could help preserve his bat for a few more years.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is extremely difficult to project how players will age. Every player seems to handle it differently but as another poster mentioned Cano does not rely on speed or brute strength so he should have solid longevity for the Mariners.

I haven't seen the contract, is it front loaded?

If it's back loaded, this could become an issue. Much like the problems we had with Alfonso Soriano.