• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 5, Los Angeles Rams @ Washington Redskins, Sunday, 10/11/20, 10:00 AM PDT

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was all Shanahan. Smart cuz he liked Cuz for the price better than RG3 who he knew needed the right scheme to set him up for success. Kyle provides that and than RG thought he knew better. Talk about entitled. It was Snyder who was all in....again and created a personal relationship with Robert that poisoned the whole locker room and led to the dismissal of both Shanahans...and the beginning of the Jay Gruden era. Who was again hamstrung by the owner into starting injured Griffin instead of healthy Cuz the next year after the ‘all in for week 1 video love fest that Griffin used to enhance his branding of himself.

Fault. Our idiot owner. May he rot and get ousted soon.
Thanks for the refresher course. Your idiot owner sentiments reminds me of @Retroram52's caricature of 'The Queen Idiot' for Georgia Frontiere. (I like mine better, Georgia Front-and-Rearie :pound:, the freakin bar-fly)

Hope things get better for yous guys soon in DC, your team's lore and league history (Maybe they should go back to being named 'The Braves'?) deserves better for sure!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was all Shanahan. Smart cuz he liked Cuz for the price better than RG3 who he knew needed the right scheme to set him up for success. Kyle provides that and than RG thought he knew better. Talk about entitled. It was Snyder who was all in....again and created a personal relationship with Robert that poisoned the whole locker room and led to the dismissal of both Shanahans...and the beginning of the Jay Gruden era. Who was again hamstrung by the owner into starting injured Griffin instead of healthy Cuz the next year after the ‘all in for week 1 video love fest that Griffin used to enhance his branding of himself.

Fault. Our idiot owner. May he rot and get ousted soon.
That pick seemed like it was more for the publicity at the time than anything else. I think it was doomed to failure and then Shannahan running him out there for that playoff game (I believe against Seattle but not certain off hand), when he had no business being out there with all of his injuries hurt you big time. Shannahan got run out of town and you had a guy that was never the same after that, which led to the Cousins era.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That pick seemed like it was more for the publicity at the time than anything else.
I can understand why it might appear this way but keep in mind that this was Shanny sr first draft 2012 in his tenure with DC. He had ‘complete’ control over player personnel. Part of his deal coming on board. I ‘quote’ that because ultimately, Danny Boy played a role...again...it came out later that Shanny did not want RG3 (IF you believe it but all facts dribbling out 1-3 years after RG3 era was over, seems to align with)

The irony here is that the Rams played a huge role in this. Remember that the Skins MOVED up to the 2nd pick mortgaging HEAVILY future draft picks from y’all for the luxury to select Griffin. Member? In fact was Donald one of those picks? The irony would be even heavier if he was.

Many fans argued over the cost of moving up to the 2nd to get either Luck or Griffin.

It IS believable to me that Shanny was worried whether RG3 could succeed in the NFL. Danny Boy was all in on that shiny new object.

In fact, trading up with the Rams to get RG3 completely hamstrung cap issues to surround him with much talent.

People forget that the Skins got heavily fined by the NFL ( skins found out like the night before the draft iIRC...which ALSO hamstrung the team’s ability to get talent for Griffin as well.

Andrew Brandt...
For the second time in two weeks, the NFL has revealed some dishonorable behavior. Following the New Orleans Saints' "bounty" debacle currently awaiting punishment, the NFL has now announced penalties stemming from contract structuring in the uncapped year of 2010.

In issuing the penalties, the NFL took a strong stance against the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins for behavior that was not prohibited in writing.

The league is deducting $36 million from the Redskins' cap and $10 million from the Cowboys', to be split between 2012 and 2013. The subtracted amounts will be pooled to the remaining teams -- except the Saints and Oakland Raiders, who had less egregious violations. The NFLPA agreed to the penalties provided that the deducted cap room was allocated among the other teams.

Truly all parties were guilty in the RG3 debacle. Snyder, Shannys, Griffin (his inability to slide and protect himself...like later mobile QBs would) and the perfect cloud of circumstances of inept FO, cap issues and a fan base that was starving for a QB to believe in.

Last edited:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was doomed to failure and then Shannahan running him out there for that playoff game (I believe against Seattle but not certain off hand), when he had no business being out there with all of his injuries hurt you big time.
It was Seattle @ Fedex Field first round of the playoffs. I still struggle with where the blame ultimately lays. I’ve come to believe it was multiple people. Shanny, Griffin, the team doctor, public pressure and Danny Boy.

It was obvious by this point that Griffin refused to protect himself by sliding appropriately, he had been concussed at least once that year and injured his knee already - he was sporting the brace from a few games earlier as a brutal hit middle of the field hit by Haloti Ngata when we played the Ravens. Also Cuz had to come in late and win at least 2 games in our 6 win run to make the playoffs that year...sooo all the seeds of discontent between fans and the QBs -RG and Cuz- started the first year they were both drafted.

Regardless of how Griffin created insanity that lasted many years for us in DC, I will always be grateful to him for that magical year of 2012.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was Seattle @ Fedex Field first round of the playoffs. I still struggle with where the blame ultimately lays. I’ve come to believe it was multiple people. Shanny, Griffin, the team doctor, public pressure and Danny Boy.

It was obvious by this point that Griffin refused to protect himself by sliding appropriately, he had been concussed at least once that year and injured his knee already - he was sporting the brace from a few games earlier as a brutal hit middle of the field hit by Haloti Ngata when we played the Ravens. Also Cuz had to come in late and win at least 2 games in our 6 win run to make the playoffs that year...sooo all the seeds of discontent between fans and the QBs -RG and Cuz- started the first year they were both drafted.

Regardless of how Griffin created insanity that lasted many years for us in DC, I will always be grateful to him for that magical year of 2012.
Oh we all here remember that trade very well Caliskinsfan, and the QB Cousins pick after that investment to move up to take the QB Griffin pick is as mind boggling now, as it was then.

Also you are 100 percent correct, the DL Donald pick was the first luxury pick the Rams picked up from the RGIII trade. With their own first round pick the Rams selected the bust LT Robinson.

Ironically for the Rams, who needed an LT, without that trade they likely don't land Donald IMO.

Sure they would have likely found a different trade partner, but I don't believe any would have netted the Rams with the haul of picks that allowed them to pick both the LT and Donald that early in the draft and probably only end up with Robinson between the two.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Donald was part of that. So jealous. Watching Donald reminds me of how my jaw used to drop when I watched Sean Taylor play the game. Just another level.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh we all here remember that trade very well Caliskinsfan, and the QB Cousins pick after that investment to move up to take the QB Griffin pick is as mind boggling now, as it was then.

Also you are 100 percent correct, the DL Donald pick was the first luxury pick the Rams picked up from the RGIII trade. With their own first round pick the Rams selected the bust LT Robinson.

Ironically for the Rams, who needed an LT, without that trade they likely don't land Donald IMO.

Sure they would have likely found a different trade partner, but I don't believe any would have netted the Rams with the haul of picks that allowed them to pick both the LT and Donald that early in the draft and probably only end up with Robinson between the two.
That is not correct.

Robinson was the pick the Rams obtained from the trade with the WFT.

Donald was the Rams original pick.

although, you could make an argument had the Rams not had the WFT pick, they may have passed on Donald to draft a OL instead ( most likely Martin who they tried desperately to draft after the Donald pick per sources at the time ).

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
although, you could make an argument had the Rams not had the WFT pick, they may have passed on Donald to draft a OL instead ( most likely Martin who they tried desperately to draft after the Donald pick per sources at the time ).
That is exactly the point I was making.

I may have misstated which pick was whoes, but when I said 'Luxury Pick' this was the point I was making, except I took out the uncertainty of 'may have'.

The Rams needed an LT desperately, and would have passed on the AD pick 100% without the trade-up, I have no doubt.

That's what the convo was about, and that's the point I was making ALR...

That and the fact that Washington had zero shot at AD at that point with the trade in place