• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

week 4 top 25 discussion thread

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ckhokie, there's not a single person on here who thinks anyone from the B1G has any reason to be butthurt over VT. That's like saying SEC fans are butthurt over Ohio State - makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm pointing out the facts. You're pimping a win over Marshall, the same team that lost to a decent-at-best Ohio team, as well. Congrats to them for running up big offensive numbers against Gardner-Webb and Miami(OH), arguably one of the worst FBS programs. ECU? The same program that gave up 38 points to Old Dominion? They're 62nd in points for and 51st in points against. They are a nothing team and you only beat them by 5.

Who gives a shit what they were projected to do? Oregon State was "projected" to be a contender in the PAC and it turns out they blow. Texas was "projected" to contend for the Big 12 and many thought they'd win it. See where I'm going?

But hey, you lost by 25 to Alabama. Congrats. You were exactly as competitive as Colorado State. :clap:

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ckhokie, there's not a single person on here who thinks anyone from the B1G has any reason to be butthurt over VT. That's like saying SEC fans are butthurt over Ohio State - makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm pointing out the facts. You're pimping a win over Marshall, the same team that lost to a decent-at-best Ohio team, as well. Congrats to them for running up big offensive numbers against Gardner-Webb and Miami(OH), arguably one of the worst FBS programs. ECU? The same program that gave up 38 points to Old Dominion? They're 62nd in points for and 51st in points against. They are a nothing team and you only beat them by 5.

Who gives a shit what they were projected to do? Oregon State was "projected" to be a contender in the PAC and it turns out they blow. Texas was "projected" to contend for the Big 12 and many thought they'd win it. See where I'm going?

But hey, you lost by 25 to Alabama. Congrats. You were exactly as competitive as Colorado State. :clap:

Kreiger posts about VT plenty and it's obvious he, and most of the other B1G fans that like to talk football outside of their conference don't do anything but look at box scores. A win AT ECU is something I am fine with. It isn't an easy stadium to play in, and they will make a bowl again this year. Again, not missing 3 chip shots and an extra point makes that game 25-10.

We could very well take the B1G road and just load up on MAC teams to whip up on, or lose to mediocre teams (wisky). Would that make us look better? And as an OSU fan, I wouldn't be badmouthing a loss to a number 1 ranked SEC school. You should be fairly well versed in sitting where I am sitting.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kreiger posts about VT plenty and it's obvious he, and most of the other B1G fans that like to talk football outside of their conference don't do anything but look at box scores. A win AT ECU is something I am fine with. It isn't an easy stadium to play in, and they will make a bowl again this year. Again, not missing 3 chip shots and an extra point makes that game 25-10.

We could very well take the B1G road and just load up on MAC teams to whip up on, or lose to mediocre teams (wisky). Would that make us look better? And as an OSU fan, I wouldn't be badmouthing a loss to a number 1 ranked SEC school. You should be fairly well versed in sitting where I am sitting.

You do realize Bama has faced 2 B1G schools in the last 3 years OOC, right? You do also realize OSU has one of the best OOC schedules in the nation over the next decade, right? VT loads up on mid-majors, too, so WTF are you talking about? You've also had at least 1 FCS school on your schedule for the last 4 years and 7 of the last 8.

Yeah, we look at box scores. That's what matters. Your kicker wasn't good enough to make those FGs at that time, or he'd of done it. It doesn't somehow reflect better on your team to say "oh he just freaked out". I'm not saying you should've be fine with a win at ECU, but it certainly isn't a feather in your cap in making a case to be top 25.

I'm not badmouthing your loss, I'm saying that loss alone doesn't make you a top 25 team. You were garbage last year and have shown no discernible improvement this year.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize Bama has faced 2 B1G schools in the last 3 years OOC, right? You do also realize OSU has one of the best OOC schedules in the nation over the next decade, right? VT loads up on mid-majors, too, so WTF are you talking about? You've also had at least 1 FCS school on your schedule for the last 4 years and 7 of the last 8.

Yeah, we look at box scores. That's what matters. Your kicker wasn't good enough to make those FGs at that time, or he'd of done it. It doesn't somehow reflect better on your team to say "oh he just freaked out". I'm not saying you should've be fine with a win at ECU, but it certainly isn't a feather in your cap in making a case to be top 25.

I'm not badmouthing your loss, I'm saying that loss alone doesn't make you a top 25 team. You were garbage last year and have shown no discernible improvement this year.

My post was in response to you B1G fans thinking Wisky and Minnesota deserved to be in the top 25 over VT. I didn't say a single thing about VT being ranked, aside from pointing out the fact that you're on crack if you think Minnesota should be ranked over a team like VT. Nothing was a 'feather in my cap.' Just pointing out that wins on the road over bowl teams are more impressive than beating an FCS team at home, or anything else Wisky has done.

Our team is most definitely better than we were last year. Our D is top 5 right now and should easily finish the season top 10.

And don't even try to get in an OOC scheduling discussion with me. We consistently have one of the tougher OOC schedules among top programs. Why don't you post the rest of the OOC schedules that had an FCS team in it over 7 of the last 8 seasons? It's much better than 3 MAC teams and an FCS team.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT escaped marshall. 4th and goal and tipped to tie?? i think va tech, minny and wisconsin are all about equal at the moment. but how many times has minny started 5-0 to only fall later on?

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is so obviously clear to everyone that the teams you fear or don't want to see ranked close to Bama in a mock SportsHoopla poll have you so insecure you rank them 8 and 15.

You are the only Alabama fan that does this. Cuz I believe you believe they are a threat.

I have talked with 4 Bama fans so far here at the Hoop that have said they believe Oregon is #1 right now and would beat Bama off of what they have seen so far.

I am not sure about either of those. But they are secure enough to admit Oregon looks better than 8 in the country.

Not sure if it is your subconscious or it is actually in your mind and you are doing it to make yourself feel better. Or possibly just doing it to get a rise outta The #2 and #3 teams according to Coaches poll.

ANyways, you are fun and easy to debate with.

Onwerdz for me. Have a good evening,

Oregon's still going to be #1 despite his efforts

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My post was in response to you B1G fans thinking Wisky and Minnesota deserved to be in the top 25 over VT. I didn't say a single thing about VT being ranked, aside from pointing out the fact that you're on crack if you think Minnesota should be ranked over a team like VT. Nothing was a 'feather in my cap.' Just pointing out that wins on the road over bowl teams are more impressive than beating an FCS team at home, or anything else Wisky has done.

Our team is most definitely better than we were last year. Our D is top 5 right now and should easily finish the season top 10.

And don't even try to get in an OOC scheduling discussion with me. We consistently have one of the tougher OOC schedules among top programs. Why don't you post the rest of the OOC schedules that had an FCS team in it over 7 of the last 8 seasons? It's much better than 3 MAC teams and an FCS team.

I don't think Minnesota is one of the top 25 teams in the nation, but they've done more this year to deserve a spot. While VT was squeaking by ECU, an 8-5 team from last year, and barely escaping Marshal in OT, a 5-7 team last year, Minny went out and murdered a San Jose State team that was 11-2 last year. I don't know how you can say they don't have a better resume so far.

I don't see how you can say you're better. You squeaked by two average- to above average mid-majors and got beaten by 25 by Alabama. What makes you so much better??

It's not my responsibility to bring up every other school in this argument, it's only about VT. If you wanna cry about other teams' schedules, tell me whose you have a beef with and I'll happily discuss it with you. However, your OOC is no better than Ohio State's. You schedule 1 BCS school, 2 mid-majors and an FCS. OSU has only played 3 FCS games, so we're already tougher in that regard. We've done as good a job as any of scheduling top OOC competition, so I'm not sure who you're talking about with the 3 MAC teams and an FCS.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team that beat us, whose only loss was a 42-28 game where they outgained their top 5 opponent on the road and might have won if their QB didn't punt a ball into his O-Line's back, doesn't deserved to be ranked? With a weak top 25?

If you really think they beat us, there is simply no way that you can claim that NDSU deserves to be in over them.

They were really getting blown out, scored a couple late TD's. The game was never close beginning to finish. The only reason ASU should be ranked is bc they "beat" y'all.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wisconsin should be ranked over VT because they look like the better team. That's all you can really go on after week 4.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VT and Minny are both average teams. VT's offense is making them average, bc their D is top 25.

Both should not be in top 25 IMO

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wisconsin should be ranked over VT because they look like the better team. That's all you can really go on after week 4.

"My team should be ranked higher than yours because they look better."

Impressive 'analysis'

"Looking better" against Tennessee Tech and UMass, then Purdue, who even B1G fans are saying won't win a conference game isn't impressive. Throw in a loss to an unranked team, and you're touting a resume that 50 FBS teams could have.

VT, while admittedly unimpressive while doing so, has beaten two bowl caliber teams, one on the road, and lost to the #1 team in the nation.

Don't be shocked that I disagree that Wisky should be ranked higher than VT because they 'look better.'

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were really getting blown out, scored a couple late TD's. The game was never close beginning to finish. The only reason ASU should be ranked is bc they "beat" y'all.

There was a eleven point game with five minutes left, and ASU would have gotten the ball back if they didn't stupidly have twelve guys in the huddle. They had also just scored on three straight possessions. I'm not sure what planet you live on, but that game was very much in doubt with five minutes left.

And that was after a blown replay call on a Stanford fumble and a pooch punt where ASU's QB kicked it into the back of his own O-Lineman.

I know you want to live in bizarro world, but ASU's offense and defense dominated Stanford in the second half just as much as Stanford dominated them in the first. Ignoring it because the game appeared lopsided (even though it didn't end lopsided) isn't an effective way to judge teams at all. If you had stuck with the game, you would have seen Stanford's defense legitimately struggle when they were trying hard to top ASU.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Minnesota is one of the top 25 teams in the nation, but they've done more this year to deserve a spot. While VT was squeaking by ECU, an 8-5 team from last year, and barely escaping Marshal in OT, a 5-7 team last year, Minny went out and murdered a San Jose State team that was 11-2 last year. I don't know how you can say they don't have a better resume so far.

I don't see how you can say you're better. You squeaked by two average- to above average mid-majors and got beaten by 25 by Alabama. What makes you so much better??

It's not my responsibility to bring up every other school in this argument, it's only about VT. If you wanna cry about other teams' schedules, tell me whose you have a beef with and I'll happily discuss it with you. However, your OOC is no better than Ohio State's. You schedule 1 BCS school, 2 mid-majors and an FCS. OSU has only played 3 FCS games, so we're already tougher in that regard. We've done as good a job as any of scheduling top OOC competition, so I'm not sure who you're talking about with the 3 MAC teams and an FCS.

East Carolina would destroy San Jose State, IMO. And, of course Minnesota is going to be doing good OOC, there schedule is awful. They started out 4-0 last year with a much better schedule and finished with 6 wins...

He's probably talking about Minnesota, their schedule is pathetic and even Minnesota knows it. Minnesota's football coach even said that the reason they are scheduling crap teams OOC is because they need to wait until they can be competitive. That's enough of a reason for me to not rank them.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a eleven point game with five minutes left, and ASU would have gotten the ball back if they didn't stupidly have twelve guys in the huddle. They had also just scored on three straight possessions. I'm not sure what planet you live on, but that game was very much in doubt with five minutes left.

And that was after a blown replay call on a Stanford fumble and a pooch punt where ASU's QB kicked it into the back of his own O-Lineman.

I know you want to live in bizarro world, but ASU's offense and defense dominated Stanford in the second half just as much as Stanford dominated them in the first. Ignoring it because the game appeared lopsided (even though it didn't end lopsided) isn't an effective way to judge teams at all. If you had stuck with the game, you would have seen Stanford's defense legitimately struggle when they were trying hard to top ASU.

Well it is even hard to say how good Stanford is REALLY. Saying that Zona St COULD of been within a score, isn't good enough. Stanford is good team, Arizona State is a bowl team that is all I can say. I say Stanford has 2 losses and possibly gets in BCS, Arizona St will probably be a 4 or maybe 5 loss team. The sad thing is Arizona St was getting beat so bad they scored three straight times and Stanford still had a comfortable lead. I'm sorry but if the Devils are "BCS" or high bowl team you can't play awful one half and keep having to come back. Their D was absolutely awful in the 1st half.

You do realize it was 39-7 going into the 4th, so really 3 quarters of shit ball. Stanford had already won the game.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Looking better" against Tennessee Tech and UMass, then Purdue, who even B1G fans are saying won't win a conference game isn't impressive. Throw in a loss to an unranked team, and you're touting a resume that 50 FBS teams could have.
You seem to not understand what I mean when I say "That's all you can really go on after week 4."

Yes, Wisconsin's opponents thus far haven't been great. Although the game at ASU, which they really should have won, was a tougher matchup than any of VT's except Bama. Bama completely pasted VT, so you can't lean on that one.

But I am not a believer in judging teams by their resume early in the season, because we don't have a complete picture of anyone's resume. All you can go by is the eye test. I also don't believe in the stupid automatic "win and move up, lose and move down" approach to rankings that so many people seem to follow. I think if #18 loses to #10 by a FG, they should stay put or maybe even move up (depending on what else happened that week)... because #18 is supposed to lose to #10 by a narrow margin.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone does realize San Jose St was down 2TD's going into the 4th against Stanford. I hate comparing games, but they aren't bad.

Arizona St =or> San Jose St > Minnesota > East Carolina...as of right now. Too early to judge really, but as we have seen so far.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
East Carolina would destroy San Jose State, IMO. And, of course Minnesota is going to be doing good OOC, there schedule is awful. They started out 4-0 last year with a much better schedule and finished with 6 wins...

He's probably talking about Minnesota, their schedule is pathetic and even Minnesota knows it. Minnesota's football coach even said that the reason they are scheduling crap teams OOC is because they need to wait until they can be competitive. That's enough of a reason for me to not rank them.

LOL, ok. I mean, there's literally not a single thing that would support that, but anything to help your fellow conference mate, right? :L

Please show me the quote from Minnesota's coach that said they are "intentionally scheduling crap teams OOC".

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread has become a fucking joke. VT fans can't face the reality their team isn't good so they go on the defensive, and for some reason a UNC fan comes in spouting off nonsense that isn't supported by a single thing. By year's end, Wisconsin will be ranked ahead of Virginia Tech (who will likely not be ranked if their first 4 games is an indication), and only an idiot actually thinks Va Tech is as good as Wisconsin.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite is the Bama fan that put Oregon at 8. Got his best Saban on trying to manipulate a poll

That is exactly why a small committee won't be good for CFB.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, ok. I mean, there's literally not a single thing that would support that, but anything to help your fellow conference mate, right? :L

Please show me the quote from Minnesota's coach that said they are "intentionally scheduling crap teams OOC".

ECU returned 21 starters from last year and has a high scoring offense. San Jose St returned 13.

And done (even though it isn't word for word) : Kill: Weaker schedule necessary, but temporary | Gridiron Gold | StarTribune.com

They scheduled a 1-11 team

Last edited by a moderator: