• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 14 vs MIA

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ravens stopped a 3 game win streak and in the minds of many, the chance to play in Jan. But, mathematically the Steelers are still alive and can take a h-t-h tie breaker vs one of the teams they are looking up at…plus MW coming back to Heintz Field should provide plenty of motivation this week.

There are no moral victories in PIT, but I thought they played well enough to win in BAL. Just didn’t make the key plays late.

On the injury front… Valesco was put on IR this week, and Wallace will be the starting C from this point forward (hopefully).

ESPN.com reports

Out…Woodley (calf) & Keisel (foot)

Questionable…Bell (concussion) is looking like a go. Beachum (knee) strangely was not listed, but he is nicked up and not practicing fully. McLendon is a maybe as well I’m hearing.

Key Match upMIA DL vs PIT OL…Dolphins have some playmakers all across DL…that concerns me breaking in a new C. Bell could have a tough day running…I look for them to play less no huddle with a new C, but Ben will likely have to throw it a bunch to win…look for 35-40 pass attempts. Ben seems to have bought into getting the ball out quicker even if it means a punt...I hope that continues this week, to neutralize the advantage MIA has upfront.

Grimes is solid and a good match up for Brown, and their CBs in general are pretty good...if they try to man up outside I like the Steeler WRs to have a good day...if they play more zone...Heath should get a lot of targets..

When MIA has the ball…Clabo and McKinnie are both backups in this league now, or they should be…not sure what happened last week vs the Jets, as they dominated the LOC, but I’m betting they don’t repeat that this week…I expect LeBeau to keep Clark high as the 2nd guy on Mike Wallace, and come after Tannehill a lot in this game from different angles.

24-17 PIT to stay relevant for another week.

What say you?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers have a good chance to win this game. As bad as the records have been in teh divison this year, the Ravens, Steelers, lately Bengals always play solid games regardless of outcome. I still think we have one of the toughest divisions in the AFC North, even Cleveland looks to be a decent team when Weedon is not playing.

Anytime an AFC North team is playing someone else, they have a good shot of winning I think.

Depending on how well your offensive line holds up and gives Ben some time, and how well your secondary is able to cover, I think Pittsburgh is the better team here. Ike should be able to make Wallace a non-factor in the game. Outside that, all they really have is Hartline and I think your secondary is plenty good enough to handle him.

If you can hang 17+ on the Dolphins, with your defense and their offense, I think you can win.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers have a good chance to win this game. As bad as the records have been in teh divison this year, the Ravens, Steelers, lately Bengals always play solid games regardless of outcome. I still think we have one of the toughest divisions in the AFC North, even Cleveland looks to be a decent team when Weedon is not playing.

Anytime an AFC North team is playing someone else, they have a good shot of winning I think.

Depending on how well your offensive line holds up and gives Ben some time, and how well your secondary is able to cover, I think Pittsburgh is the better team here. Ike should be able to make Wallace a non-factor in the game. Outside that, all they really have is Hartline and I think your secondary is plenty good enough to handle him.

If you can hang 17+ on the Dolphins, with your defense and their offense, I think you can win.

Thanks...I hope you're right.

Hanging the 17 could be an issue if this new version of the OL is missing assignments...as mentioned the last 3 weeks Ben has been employing what Haley brought here, the short passing game. Not sacked vs BAL was very unusual...if that continues and Bell is effective I think they will score 20+.

Sounds like a broken record, but LeBeau's record vs young QBs is really good...barring short fields I don't think MIA is going to score a ton.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crash...on the N at large.

My thoughts...the balance of talent has shifted...BAL & PIT had pretty much owned the DIV for the last decade with CIN spiking up once or twice...the draft is working exactly as the owners intended...CIN and CLE has most of the top picks in the DIV.

What is keeping PIT competitive is really the QB, and LeBeau. DEF has some youth, but the turnover is still not complete. It's more of a bend but don't break concept now, but effective.

CLE, CIN, BAL all have solid DLs which makes it tough to run on them and when you go out of DIV, DEF play typically is the most consistent...especially on the road.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crash...on the N at large.

My thoughts...the balance of talent has shifted...BAL & PIT had pretty much owned the DIV for the last decade with CIN spiking up once or twice...the draft is working exactly as the owners intended...CIN and CLE has most of the top picks in the DIV.

What is keeping PIT competitive is really the QB, and LeBeau. DEF has some youth, but the turnover is still not complete. It's more of a bend but don't break concept now, but effective.

CLE, CIN, BAL all have solid DLs which makes it tough to run on them and when you go out of DIV, DEF play typically is the most consistent...especially on the road.

I watch a decent amount of football, and the games between the AFC North teams just seems like more bone crushing, throat stomping action. It is rough, it is tough, and this division is based on get in your face and blow you up defenses. Just doesn't seem like any other division has that type of play really, maybe the NFC West now to a degree, but it still feels like a different animal.

I agree with the parity and the draft is creating what it is supposed to, and a quality QB will keep an average to below average team afloat for longer than they should in some instances, but I think it is just the way these teams are built in the North that is really dictating how they stay competitive and the ability to recognize talent. Pittburgh has struggled a little bit in that category lately when coming to the draft, but when you never have a top 10 pick, it is hard to always maintain that talent level.

Pitt started 0-4 and look where they came. They are not out of it. This division is full of resilient teams and players. You get rid of Weedon and Cleveland is nothing to sneeze at either.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watch a decent amount of football, and the games between the AFC North teams just seems like more bone crushing, throat stomping action. It is rough, it is tough, and this division is based on get in your face and blow you up defenses. Just doesn't seem like any other division has that type of play really, maybe the NFC West now to a degree, but it still feels like a different animal.

I agree with the parity and the draft is creating what it is supposed to, and a quality QB will keep an average to below average team afloat for longer than they should in some instances, but I think it is just the way these teams are built in the North that is really dictating how they stay competitive and the ability to recognize talent. Pittburgh has struggled a little bit in that category lately when coming to the draft, but when you never have a top 10 pick, it is hard to always maintain that talent level.
Pitt started 0-4 and look where they came. They are not out of it. This division is full of resilient teams and players. You get rid of Weedon and Cleveland is nothing to sneeze at either.

A buddy of mine who is a Pitt fan says that their biggest issue is age/contracts. They went "all in" a few years ago and handed out extentions to aging veterans like Troy P and such, hoping that they could get one more SB run out of them. Those contracts paved the way to block them from being able to do what Pitt normally does...discard older players and re-establish their youthful players with meaningful roles to get them ready to take over.

They've also struggled in the draft. Regardless of where they've been picking, and the injuries have just mounted. That is something you can't control. DeCastro, Pouncy, etc...Tough for any team to overcome those, especially at an area that was already struggling for consistency.

Pitt will bounce back. They always do.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A buddy of mine who is a Pitt fan says that their biggest issue is age/contracts. They went "all in" a few years ago and handed out extentions to aging veterans like Troy P and such, hoping that they could get one more SB run out of them. Those contracts paved the way to block them from being able to do what Pitt normally does...discard older players and re-establish their youthful players with meaningful roles to get them ready to take over.

They've also struggled in the draft. Regardless of where they've been picking, and the injuries have just mounted. That is something you can't control. DeCastro, Pouncy, etc...Tough for any team to overcome those, especially at an area that was already struggling for consistency.

I suppose so. All sounds logical to me, especially regarding injuries. Difference is, a team like the Bengals have enough depth to rely on if some injuries occur. We lost Atkins, Lamur, a much improved Maualuga for several weeks, Mays was playing much better this year, Leon Hall, our top CB, gone. That should have wrecked our defense, but they are still floating in the top 10 and seem to be getting better overall. That is the importance of the draft and restocking your team. Pittsburgh gets just as many draft picks, but those picks for Cincinnati seem to providing more quality depth, which is where I think the age factor and deiminished talent currently is comign from. They have great leaders on that team though, and those guys are holding what I believe is a sub par team together and making them relavent still. I know I am on the Steelers board and no one appreciates hearing that, but I think it is true. Not so much a slap in the face as much as a testiment to how good some of their veterans are to hold that crew together and not let them fall apart in the face of adversity.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Spot on...right after the SB loss to GB is when they started extending guys and to be honest...at that time they were all still in their primes, but on the north of the halfway point if you will. So the cap was tied up in those guys and they couldn't resign younger players (like Wallace and Keenan Lewis) before they hit UFA as they had done many times in the past.

Draft...yea, the injuries are part of the game and imo that's not where they faltered...it's the front 7 picks since '07 that have not panned out, but again, most of these 1st round picks were at the bottom of the 1st round.

Not excuses...it just happens...now.

Bouncing back...I think so, they're really only a couple of players away from revamping the DEF...Keisel, Foote, and Clark won't be back...Of those only Clark is playing a lot now.

Troy has played well enough to earn his last year. These young guys will be counted on much quicker than in the past. I expect a bigger playmaker on OFC this year in this draft.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose so. All sounds logical to me, especially regarding injuries. Difference is, a team like the Bengals have enough depth to rely on if some injuries occur. We lost Atkins, Lamur, a much improved Maualuga for several weeks, Mays was playing much better this year, Leon Hall, our top CB, gone. That should have wrecked our defense, but they are still floating in the top 10 and seem to be getting better overall. That is the importance of the draft and restocking your team. Pittsburgh gets just as many draft picks, but those picks for Cincinnati seem to providing more quality depth, which is where I think the age factor and deiminished talent currently is comign from. They have great leaders on that team though, and those guys are holding what I believe is a sub par team together and making them relavent still. I know I am on the Steelers board and no one appreciates hearing that, but I think it is true. Not so much a slap in the face as much as a testiment to how good some of their veterans are to hold that crew together and not let them fall apart in the face of adversity.

Not really...hearing about your team from another viewpoint not all bad.

Some truth there on the draft picks, but when you really dig into the draft past...the more talented players should be in CIN and CLE. Price you pay for winning.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really...hearing about your team from another viewpoint not all bad.

Some truth there on the draft picks, but when you really dig into the draft past...the more talented players should be in CIN and CLE. Price you pay for winning.

Only a little bit. Scouting goes a long way, too. Lewis has always had a great eye for talent, but in years past Brown ran the draft room. Not so in the past few years.

Atkins - 4th round
Michael Johnson - 3rd round
Newman - F/A
Crocker - F/A
Nelson - Trade (gave up scrub)
Dunlap - 3rd round
Whitworth - 2nd round (but going back more than a few drafts)
Bernard - 2nd round (I think)
Marvin Jones - 5th round
Vontaze Burfict - UDFA

So, it's not all about the 1st round, it's about finding talent that fits your scheme. Something, IMO, the steelers have gotten a bit away from in drafting a few "reaches" in the past.

People hammer the Bengals over the past year or 2 for not being at the "new" cap, but with the ability to carry over, it's been smart. Guys like Atkins and Dunlap were re-signed (and they are young). Green is going to be due a big bump, Vontaze in another year after that, and Dalton (if they keep him). All that has to be figured in year(s) before it happens, or you end up in a real bind, as Pitt has been going through the past few years.

Again...like all things, it's cyclical. When you are commited to winning, you'll bounce back. Pitt will bounce back.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only a little bit. Scouting goes a long way, too. Lewis has always had a great eye for talent, but in years past Brown ran the draft room. Not so in the past few years.

Atkins - 4th round
Michael Johnson - 3rd round
Newman - F/A
Crocker - F/A
Nelson - Trade (gave up scrub)
Dunlap - 3rd round
Whitworth - 2nd round (but going back more than a few drafts)
Bernard - 2nd round (I think)
Marvin Jones - 5th round
Vontaze Burfict - UDFA

So, it's not all about the 1st round, it's about finding talent that fits your scheme. Something, IMO, the steelers have gotten a bit away from in drafting a few "reaches" in the past.

People hammer the Bengals over the past year or 2 for not being at the "new" cap, but with the ability to carry over, it's been smart. Guys like Atkins and Dunlap were re-signed (and they are young). Green is going to be due a big bump, Vontaze in another year after that, and Dalton (if they keep him). All that has to be figured in year(s) before it happens, or you end up in a real bind, as Pitt has been going through the past few years.

Again...like all things, it's cyclical. When you are commited to winning, you'll bounce back. Pitt will bounce back.

Draft...I'm not disputing that CIN hasn't done well late in the draft also...there are some contributors in PIT like A Brown 6th rd that were not high picks.

Atkins and Johnson were major finds. But, if we're honest, those are rare and more luck than skill...Harrison was an UDFA, possibly the greatest OLB in PIT history was an UDFA...pure luck. Vontaze was a great prospect until off the field issues took him off everyones board. I applaud CIN for taking a chance on him.

Point...in general, the impact players on your team typically come from the 1st 3 rds, and the standouts, again on average, are the 1st round picks midround and higher.

Cap...flat out...winning consistently is expensive to maintain, plus no $100 mil QB on the roster...that changes a lot. Colbert's gamble didn't payoff with another SB appearance, but at some point PIT was going to have pay the piper for re-signing all those players that made the run happen. Cap hell has hurt, but it hasn't surprised many hardcore fans.

The Bengals are getting ready to spend themselves...AJ Green is going to command $65/$45G (Wallace got $63mil), and Dalton...if he take CIN to the playoffs again next yr, probably $80/$50G. If not still $60+mil.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft...I'm not disputing that CIN hasn't done well late in the draft also...there are some contributors in PIT like A Brown 6th rd that were not high picks.

Atkins and Johnson were major finds. But, if we're honest, those are rare and more luck than skill...Harrison was an UDFA, possibly the greatest OLB in PIT history was an UDFA...pure luck. Vontaze was a great prospect until off the field issues took him off everyones board. I applaud CIN for taking a chance on him.

Point...in general, the impact players on your team typically come from the 1st 3 rds, and the standouts, again on average, are the 1st round picks midround and higher.

Cap...flat out...winning consistently is expensive to maintain, plus no $100 mil QB on the roster...that changes a lot. Colbert's gamble didn't payoff with another SB appearance, but at some point PIT was going to have pay the piper for re-signing all those players that made the run happen. Cap hell has hurt, but it hasn't surprised many hardcore fans.

The Bengals are getting ready to spend themselves...AJ Green is going to command $65/$45G (Wallace got $63mil), and Dalton...if he take CIN to the playoffs again next yr, probably $80/$50G. If not still $60+mil.

I have a feeling Green is going to get around 75-80 million, and Burfict will get around $65 million when his turn is up. That doesn't include Dalton or Gresham. About to get real expensive in Cincy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Green is going to get around 75-80 million, and Burfict will get around $65 million when his turn is up. That doesn't include Dalton or Gresham. About to get real expensive in Cincy.

Green...yes, my figure was the starting point...lol.

Burfict...maybe, kind of steep for an ILB imo...I was thinking south of $50mil...$35 to $40 mil tops.

Gresham...he'll probably double up or close to his 1st deal....all in addition to Dalton.

Yep...all of the that surplus you guys have been enjoying for years is going to go away. Two OTs making big cash? no sir. Atkins & Johnson? Have fun with it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Green...yes, my figure was the starting point...lol.

Burfict...maybe, kind of steep for an ILB imo...I was thinking south of $50mil...$35 to $40 mil tops.

Gresham...he'll probably double up or close to his 1st deal....all in addition to Dalton.

Yep...all of the that surplus you guys have been enjoying for years is going to go away. Two OTs making big cash? no sir. Atkins & Johnson? Have fun with it.

We are not going to resign Michael Johnson, can't afford it.

Burfict is an OLB, Maualuga and Rey are our inside backers, and Burfict runs our entire defense. he is the QB of our defense, calls the plays, aligns the players, etc. They took it away from Maualuga once they found out he sucks at it and Burfict has a football IQ off the charts. Burfict will be a fortune.

I would not be surprised to see Green ask for nearly 100 million like Megatron, or at least sign something near that figure. I hope he doesn't ask for that much, but it would not surprise me at all.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gresham will not be re-signed.

Book that.

It's definately going to be an interesting few years in the AFCN

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not going to resign Michael Johnson, can't afford it.

Burfict is an OLB, Maualuga and Rey are our inside backers, and Burfict runs our entire defense. he is the QB of our defense, calls the plays, aligns the players, etc. They took it away from Maualuga once they found out he sucks at it and Burfict has a football IQ off the charts. Burfict will be a fortune.

I would not be surprised to see Green ask for nearly 100 million like Megatron, or at least sign something near that figure. I hope he doesn't ask for that much, but it would not surprise me at all.

Thanks for the correction on Burfict...didn't realize he had moved outside...could go north of $50...given they have him on the cheap right now...they would be smart to lock him up to a fat deal via extension before he hits FA...similar to what PIT did to Brown.

AJ...I agree, GA boy...I'm sure he will make P. Brown open up the vault.

Johnson, Gresham...probably will have to go young at one of the OTs spots too, but I understand. While Dalton hasn't done enough to lock down a long term big time deal imo, he has been at the helm during this good run and will get a big contract. SEA, SF, WAS are going to be facing the same thing when it's time to re-sign their young QBs.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snow on the ground here in the Burgh!! Should see a lot of ground game work today.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomlin and staff need to go. This is just an embarrassment.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...what a way to lose a football game!

We were going nowhere this season before the MIA game, and we're sure as hell are not going anywhere now.

Twice this year, the OFC has played well enough to win and the DEF was torched.

SJ20...don't blame you a bit, but yielding those big gashing plays is not on Tomlin. That said, going for it on 4th down with 2+ mins left I thought was nuts. MT said he didn't trust his DEF...I thought that statement was more embarrassing.