• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 13: Redskins @ Cardinals

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McVay

Offensive Coordinator Sean McVay

On QB Kirk Cousins’ success during the last four games:

“I think he’s done a great job. I think what it’s a credit to is his preparation and I also think it’s a credit to the teammates around him. Anytime that the quarterback is able to play as well as he is, it obviously starts with him but it takes all 11. And I think the offensive line has done a great job protecting him. I think the backs are doing a nice job in the run game and in protection and then our receivers and tight ends have done a great job separating, distributing the field accordingly when we are throwing the football. And he’s playing at a high level, but this is something that we always knew he was capable of. He’s a guy that we have a whole lot of confidence in, feel very good about him as our leader, and we expect the same as the season continues.”

On the challenge of creating a game plan with the uncertainty of TE Jordan Reed’s status:

“It’s one of those situations, John, where you have a contingency plan in place. Obviously if we’re able to have Jordan, you feel great about it and there’s some things that you’ll definitely use that maybe you wouldn’t if he isn’t available. Fortunately you’re in a situation where you feel really good about your tight end in Vernon Davis where he’s playing at an extremely high level in both phases in the run and in the pass game. And then you’ve got a bunch of depth at the receiver position. So it’s a good situation with the amount of playmakers that we do have. We’d love to have Jordan, but if not, we won’t do a couple of things that kind of make him a difference maker, but we feel very good about our personnel even if he’s not there.”

On if it feels different preparing for a game without Reed this year:

“Yeah, well it does because of what Vernon’s been able to offer us from the depth of that spot. Not having him last year, what he’s been able to provide when we haven’t had Jordan makes you feel extremely comfortable where you can still carry a lot of the normal personnel groupings in 11, where you got three receivers and a tight end and Vernon is capable of doing all of those things. So it does give us a little bit of depth at the position where you’d love to have Jordan but if you don’t, you don’t feel quite as short without him.”

On if anything has surprised him most about TE Vernon Davis:

“Yeah, I think so. You know, one of the things that’s extremely refreshing is for a guy that’s had as much success over the course of his career – you know, this is a perennial Pro Bowl player we’re talking about, he’s a top-10 pick, he’s had a bunch of success – for him to be as receptive to coaching, wanting to learn every single day and just the example that he sets for those players around him… He’s a consummate pro, he’s been a true joy to be around and really have enjoyed learning from him. With some of the experiences he’s had both in San Francisco and Denver, he’s very willing to share. But how receptive he’s been to a new system, us asking him some different things that maybe he hasn’t done over the course of his career, it’s just a breath of fresh air for a guy that has had as much success to be that receptive to some of the new things we’re asking him to do.”

On if he was surprised that Davis was on the market given his past success:

“It surprised me that he was available. You know, I think anytime that you transition from team to team within the framework of a season, especially given maybe a complex system where there’s a lot of different little nuances, I think that’s always a little bit tougher transition which is why you have such an appreciation for the OTAs, the offseason program and training camp. But when you really study him down-in and down-out, whatever he was able to do in San Francisco last year and then in Denver when he was able to play for those guys, this is still a very talented player. His movement has never fallen off at all and really when he did get some opportunities to touch the football, you can still see a special player. Always been productive in the run game. So I wouldn’t say that I’m surprised. I think he’s done an excellent job, but if you really watch him closely, I think he’s played at a high level and I don’t really ever think there was that drop off that kind of there was that perception he wasn’t playing well. I think he still was if you’re just studying him down-in and down-out.”

On how he feels he has improved from last year:

“That’s a great question. I think the biggest thing that you learn from anything is if you’re able to look at the mistakes and then sometimes when you’re able to have success, can I critically look at myself, learn from the mistakes. So you say, OK, when this situation in the framework of a game comes up, is this the best selection to put our players in the best spots? You know, I look back at some of the things, you know, every single week where I would’ve handled that differently. And I think if you’re able to learn, you have good coaches and mentors around you like I do with Jay [Gruden], Bill Callahan, Matt Cavanaugh, you know, everybody, I’ve been very fortunate to be surrounded by great coaches that are willing to help me continue to progress and learn. But I think if you’re able to learn from the mistakes and then continue to try to do the things that have allowed you to have a little bit of success, it gives you the chance to grow and that’s what we’re trying to do as an offense.”

On if he has specific examples of ways he’s improved:

“I think it’s more just situational calls. Obviously every single game you really look at… what you try to do when you put together a game plan, kind of roleplay where, ‘OK, if this comes up, what’s going to be the situation, what call will I make? You know, in a third-and-goal from the five, what our priority is, what is the defense presenting?’ So I think it’s more along the lines of OK, you want to be process-driven. Sometimes things work out, but at least if it’s thought through, you can feel good about those decisions. But I would say on a week-to-week basis, certainly you look at just based on the production last week, you know, you say, ‘OK, we had seen some different things when we decided to direct snap the ball to Rob Kelley. That was something that didn’t work out for us but we felt like the process was right.’ And as long as we are continuing to be process-driven, I think the results will end up coming as a whole and that’s what we try to preach to our players as well.”

On Arizona’s defense:

“Yeah, it’s a great defense. I think when you really look at it, they’ve got a bunch of great players on the back end. They feel very confident to play a lot of man-coverage principles. Do a great job upfront creating movement with a variety of pressures. Whether it be some five-, six-man, some different overloads and they change up the front, so I have a lot respect for Coach [James] Bettcher and what he presents schematically both on first, second and third down. And then once you get into the red zone, they’re very tough as well. So I think it’s a credit to the scheme and then obviously the personnel. They’ve got some special players and I think they use them the right way. He puts them in good spots, and it’s going to be a great challenge for us. It’s one that I know our players are looking forward to. When we went there and played them a couple of years ago, I thought, you know, they obviously did a great job against us and it’s something that guys will be ready for the challenge. But we have a whole lot of respect for this team and what they’ve put on tape as a defense, especially this year.”

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this weeks crew

WhBYQ9u.png

Butch Hannah reppin my MTSU woot woot

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Johnson is a beast. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, it appears as though Carson Palmer has finally started to fall off the ledge. They need a new qb badly, because they have more than enough weapons on offense to cause damage, and their defense - when fully healthy - is pretty damn good.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards are yet another example of a really really good team who tried to get by with an OK QB. It can work during the regular season but come playoff time they always got exposed. Despite winning 10, 11, & 13 games they got exactly one playoff win in those seasons and that took overtime. The only time they saw a Super Bowl they got a great year out of their QB. Folks this is no coincidence.

This game could go either way. Hard to imagine we can stop David Johnson but they did a pretty good job last week after a rough start. I think Kirk stays hot and they win 31-27.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited:

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
inactives

big break with Mathieu out

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should get one of these in our next stadium ... they might consider letting us host a SB

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not very crowded stadium out there

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bad teams find a way to lose
good teams find a way win

we try & over complicate things some times ...

today we find out if we're playoff worthy

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
come on skins

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.