• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Weber!!! 14yr/100mill offer sheet??!! Phucking Fabulous!! (and related threads)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just went out and bought a Lilja jersey and taped webber over his name

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly is the benefit in the Flyers packaging players to get some of their 1st rounders back in this deal? I don't necessarily feel we need to clear a huge chunk of cap space in order to fit Weber onto the roster. We obviously don't want to lose either of Schenn or Couturier if at all possible and it would be incredible to be able to keep the rest of the defense corps intact, plus add Weber.

Pronger WILL go on LTIR if he is unfit to play. I can't see that not happening...unless he somehow plays.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will because he will get trashed by the media and fans if he doesn't...even though it is not a smart move for the organization. Either way, I don't think Poile will survive in Nashville for much longer.

Yeah, that's why I think that no matter how you slice it Nashville is straight up screwed. Poile will be gone soon.

Poile will be working under Homer and learning the ropes of how business really works. I agree Poile is done in Nashville.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly is the benefit in the Flyers packaging players to get some of their 1st rounders back in this deal? I don't necessarily feel we need to clear a huge chunk of cap space in order to fit Weber onto the roster. We obviously don't want to lose either of Schenn or Couturier if at all possible and it would be incredible to be able to keep the rest of the defense corps intact, plus add Weber.

Pronger WILL go on LTIR if he is unfit to play. I can't see that not happening...unless he somehow plays.

There is no benefit, just the cost of doing business here. Poile will probably suck it up, take the team into the red for a couple of years, and pay Weber if we don't agree to subsequent trades.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no benefit, just the cost of doing business here. Poile will probably suck it up, take the team into the red for a couple of years, and pay Weber if we don't agree to subsequent trades.

I don't know. It's more than just a couple years. Weber will cost $68 million in bonus dollars over just the first six years of the deal. And then there's the fact that he'd be playing for a team that he no longer wants to play for...

That's a big problem. Just ask Rick Nash or Scott Howson...lol

I feel like he's going to have to unload Weber one way or another. So, if he does decide to match, he's renting him for one year and $27 million just to finally reap the rewards of trading him.

The fact alone that Weber signed this offer sheet means that he wants out.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, this is correct.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. It's more than just a couple years. Weber will cost $68 million in bonus dollars over just the first six years of the deal. And then there's the fact that he'd be playing for a team that he no longer wants to play for...

I feel like he's going to have to unload Weber one way or another. So, if he does decide to match, he's renting him for one year and $27 million just to finally reap the rewards of trading him.

Maybe but he signed it knowing full well that Nashville has a chance to match it.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but he signed it knowing full well that Nashville has a chance to match it.

I seriously doubt it. I've read every article that I could find on this, including direct audio from Weber's agent (Jarrett Bousquet) and most everything states the opposite. He is shell-shocked by Nashville losing out on Suter and he wants to flee this sinking ship. Let's be real, the Preds aren't winning a Cup anytime soon. We're in a much better position to do that and besides getting the exact contract he wanted (heavily front-loaded and 14 years), he wants to go to a highly competitive team, that which we are.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

there's no way they match as a 1 year rental.. for a franchise that is apparently in some financial trouble, pissing away 27 million for 1 year of a player makes no sense.. if they match, weber is a pred for life

which.. to me means that weber is ok with either.. unless he and poile came to an agreement that there is no way the preds will match this offer sheet before he signed it.. signing it basically said that there was a 75% chance he plays in nashville for the rest of his career, 25% chance he plays with philly for the rest of his career.. there's no way you make the decision to do that if you're not at least OK with playing in nashville

apparently he'd rather play in philly, and his agents seem to be posturing themselves on phillys side in an attempt to make nashville feel like weber doesn't want to play for them, but there's just no way you sign that deal and leave open the door for nashville to lock you up forever, if you're not at least OK w/ that direction

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's no way they match as a 1 year rental.. for a franchise that is apparently in some financial trouble, pissing away 27 million for 1 year of a player makes no sense.. if they match, weber is a pred for life

which.. to me means that weber is ok with either.. unless he and poile came to an agreement that there is no way the preds will match this offer sheet before he signed it.. signing it basically said that there was a 75% chance he plays in nashville for the rest of his career, 25% chance he plays with philly for the rest of his career.. there's no way you make the decision to do that if you're not at least OK with playing in nashville

apparently he'd rather play in philly, and his agents seem to be posturing themselves on phillys side in an attempt to make nashville feel like weber doesn't want to play for them, but there's just no way you sign that deal and leave open the door for nashville to lock you up forever, if you're not at least OK w/ that direction

Yep.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He could always pull a Rick Nash and demand a trade after next season if he doesn't like the new direction of the team or wanted out from the beginning. Then the Preds have pretty much fucked themselves having paid him $27 million for one season and forced to unload him...

The truth of the matter is that the guy is not going to win a Cup in Nashville. If he wants a Cup at all, he needs to move on and spending the rest of his career there does him no good in that area.

jerseyjigroe

Experience Quality Trust
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could always pull a Rick Nash and demand a trade after next season if he doesn't like the new direction of the team or wanted out from the beginning. Then the Preds have pretty much fucked themselves having paid him $27 million for one season and forced to unload him...

The truth of the matter is that the guy is not going to win a Cup in Nashville. If he wants a Cup at all, he needs to move on and spending the rest of his career there does him no good in that area.

The problem is now that he signed that offer sheet it's all out of his hands. He has no say in where he goes.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is now that he signed that offer sheet it's all out of his hands. He has no say in where he goes.

I wouldn't necessarily agree. Yes, he'll have to play next season either with Philly or Nashville, but beyond that, he could certainly demand to be traded. I don't see why not. It'd be no different than what Rick Nash is doing and I don't see him playing another game for the Blue Jackets.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but I think this is all set up perfectly for the Preds to be able to not match and explain to their fans that Weber wanted to move on. If they do match, are they in the process of rebuilding or not? If so, Weber won't be happy there. Their defense still takes a huge hit without Suter and even a $7.85 million cap hit for Weber is millions more than they had originally planned.

Nashville spent just over $52 million on their entire roster last season. They'd be spending roughly half of that on just Weber alone for this coming season. I think it's too much for a small-market team to afford anyway.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a different situation altogether, but I can't help comparing it to the Knicks not matching the offer sheet for Jeremy Lin. They kept saying they'd match ANY offer and then got caught with their foot in their mouths after Houston paid Lin an outrageous amount of money in the third year of his deal. Nashville is in a similar situation right now, despite not being a large-market team that has to pay a luxury tax. They have claimed they'd match ANY offer, but now with the heavily front-loaded offer sheet before them may be having second thoughts.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a different situation altogether, but I can't help comparing it to the Knicks not matching the offer sheet for Jeremy Lin. They kept saying they'd match ANY offer and then got caught with their foot in their mouths after Houston paid Lin an outrageous amount of money in the third year of his deal. Nashville is in a similar situation right now, despite not being a large-market team that has to pay a luxury tax. They have claimed they'd match ANY offer, but now with the heavily front-loaded offer sheet before them may be having second thoughts.

Fans over here are sooooo pissed about the Knicks not matching and if it happens im sure the Preds fans wont be to happy either

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like it's shaping up to be a long weekend with this "deal", so I put son # 4 on -

{ WEBER WATCH }

- until something shakes out. :becky: