• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WE WUZ FUCKING ROBBED!!

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because a game was on the line and it HASN'T BEEN CALLED ALL YEAR while in no way affecting the play.

i wonder if you say the same thing about the tuck rule game..

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we'll just have to disagree once again.

I return to my analogy of NBA refs holding onto their whistles over marginal violations at key moments.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See my OP in this thread Micro.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you mean "you're?"

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the argument for calling it: By rule, it's a penalty.

The argument for not calling it: They've let it go many times so far this season. They inadequately explained it such that a number of NFL head coaches did not understand it and special teams units have been coached all season under a wrong assumption of the rule.

So, yes, calling it is fine and you can bet all those teams are now going to get that changed up in a hurry. But it's a scummy way for the NFL to debut a rule after letting it slide for half a season. The result of the Patriots' game is on the Patriots for screwing up. The mess of controversy afterwards is on the NFL for how they handled the rules change.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wonder if you say the same thing about the tuck rule game..

I was about to make the same comment, the refs got the call correct it was just a dum ass rule.

Well we'll just have to disagree once again.

I return to my analogy of NBA refs holding onto their whistles over marginal violations at key moments.

And that analogy makes no sense at all either.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of the NFL rulebook comes down to how the play is called on the field consistently. This exact formation and exact play has been used numerous times by many teams over the course of the season - it is literally a standard, textbook special teams play for many teams this year - with no call.

This is actually the exact opposite of the NBA ref holding onto their whistles over marginal violations at key moments. It's something that hasn't been a penalty all season, that has been allowed to happen dozens of times this year, which is suddenly a penalty when the situation is big enough.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of the NFL rulebook comes down to how the play is called on the field consistently. This exact formation and exact play has been used numerous times by many teams over the course of the season - it is literally a standard, textbook special teams play for many teams this year - with no call.

This is actually the exact opposite of the NBA ref holding onto their whistles over marginal violations at key moments. It's something that hasn't been a penalty all season, that has been allowed to happen dozens of times this year, which is suddenly a penalty when the situation is big enough.

Not sure how much of this it true, typically in this formation it's just a straight forward push. Again to me it looked as if he stunted on purpose to get behind a player and add additional push, that is what I am unsure happens on a regular basis.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Why wouldn't you call a penalty, because it was on the Pats with the game on the line?

No because I thought this was to have an affect (effect whatever) on the play. But it doesn't matter, that's why I am not an official.

But... like I said earlier, it never should have come to that in the first place. Patriots lost the game, not this call.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much of this it true, typically in this formation it's just a straight forward push. Again to me it looked as if he stunted on purpose to get behind a player and add additional push, that is what I am unsure happens on a regular basis.

Saw the exact same play highlighted in the New Orleans game last week and allowed to stand.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ref followed the rule

Watching the game, I didn't see anyone move early so I had no clue why the flag was thrown at first. Strange play, but is was pretty clear cut once they explained it.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw the exact same play highlighted in the New Orleans game last week and allowed to stand.

Link please I never saw it, and even if you did ;) refs are not going to catch every call every time. None of which negates the fact it is a rule, it is a penalty, it should and did get called, and it cost us the game. This is all on the Patriots not the refs. Pats had first possesion did nothing then allowed the Jets to drive down field, then committed a penalty, albeit a stupid penalty but a penalty none the less.

Watching the game, I didn't see anyone move early so I had no clue why the flag was thrown at first. Strange play, but is was pretty clear cut once they explained it.

Agreed, I had no idea that rule existed until yesterday. When they asked Pereia (SP?) about it he agreed it was the correct call.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because a game was on the line and it HASN'T BEEN CALLED ALL YEAR
Lions fans know all too well about new rules being enforced during games. The "process" rule, or the Calvin rule as I like to call it, had many a Lions fan upset for a long time(some still). But it's a rule and just b/c the game was one the line shouldn't change things. That negated TD on Calvin would've potentially won the game against the Bears for us.

That's a weak stance you're taking.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did New York Jets blow whistle on New England Patriots? - ESPN

It appears that the Jets actually got away with the same play in the same game. It's certain that the Pats did last week.

It's not just that this hasn't been called all year. Tuck Rule calls (while it was on the books) happened no more than once or twice a year - because situations where the Tuck Rule applied were extremely rare. In this case, it hasn't been called ever, and they changed the way they were calling it when the Pats got into a key situation. If you're going to make a rule a point of emphasis, make the rule a point of emphasis. Don't wait til it'll decide a game.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is the NFL changed the wording of the rule AFTER the game. BB may be correct. It'll be interesting to see if the claim is true that the NFL altered the wording AFTER the game.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is the NFL changed the wording of the rule AFTER the game. BB may be correct. It'll be interesting to see if the claim is true that the NFL altered the wording AFTER the game.

I doubt it, I think it has to be approves by the rules committee. It's not just as simple as using a magic eraser.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did New York Jets blow whistle on New England Patriots? - ESPN

It appears that the Jets actually got away with the same play in the same game. It's certain that the Pats did last week.

It's not just that this hasn't been called all year. Tuck Rule calls (while it was on the books) happened no more than once or twice a year - because situations where the Tuck Rule applied were extremely rare. In this case, it hasn't been called ever, and they changed the way they were calling it when the Pats got into a key situation. If you're going to make a rule a point of emphasis, make the rule a point of emphasis. Don't wait til it'll decide a game.

Not sure what you read but I readm They may have gotten away with it's hard to tell in the replay. Maybe the refs did get a tip and if so that's football man, you do what ever you cab to gain an edge.