• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: We graduate to a two game series with the Reds here, 6/21 & 22

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evening gents. Rest Well

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna take more than hoping guys step up...Chi Chi and Nick starting games...not happy

We can limp into break. Guessing we are shopping for SP. I don't think Cheech is first choice after Nick. I van be hopeful about him for a few. More hope re Yu. Perhaps we are down on,y 1SP extended

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna take more than hoping guys step up...Chi Chi and Nick starting games...not happy
Pretty sure JD pulls the trigger and gets another starter. Think we are stuck with current middle relief.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure JD pulls the trigger and gets another starter. Think we are stuck with current middle relief.

I can easily see him getting both. The reliever won't be a flashy name, but he'll be an upgrade. What starters are potential out there?

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can limp into break. Guessing we are shopping for SP. I don't think Cheech is first choice after Nick. I van be hopeful about him for a few. More hope re Yu. Perhaps we are down on,y 1SP extended
I think we do shop and make deal for SP. You don't throw away such a division lead hoping Nick and Chi come around. We did that crap in 2012 with Grimm and Tepesch. Then got Dumpster and did the same in 2013 with a sub par rental.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can easily see him getting both. The reliever won't be a flashy name, but he'll be an upgrade. What starters are potential out there?
Tehran would be ideal but Atlanta wants Profar.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teheran has been good this year but I think he was pretty bad last year, not ready to give up Profar for that yet

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teheran has been good this year but I think he was pretty bad last year, not ready to give up Profar for that yet
His FIP is north of 4 pitching in the NL. He almost has the feel of a Ryan Dempster move to me (albeit a much younger version with more upside). By that, I mean overpaying for a starting pitcher who has benefitted from pitching in the NL.

If we're trading for a starting pitcher, I'd either like to go all-in on a legit ace like Jose Fernandez (who likely isn't available) or go for a pitcher one tier lower who wouldn't necessarily cost Profar or Gallo. Someone like Jake Odorizzi or Drew Pomeranz would definitely upgrade our rotation without costing us the entire farm.

I guess I just don't want to part with the likes of Profar, Gallo, Brinson, or Tate for a guy with question marks attached.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His FIP is north of 4 pitching in the NL. He almost has the feel of a Ryan Dempster move to me (albeit a much younger version with more upside). By that, I mean overpaying for a starting pitcher who has benefitted from pitching in the NL.

If we're trading for a starting pitcher, I'd either like to go all-in on a legit ace like Jose Fernandez (who likely isn't available) or go for a pitcher one tier lower who wouldn't necessarily cost Profar or Gallo. Someone like Jake Odorizzi or Drew Pomeranz would definitely upgrade our rotation without costing us the entire farm.

I guess I just don't want to part with the likes of Profar, Gallo, Brinson, or Tate for a guy with question marks attached.

Hell, I'd settle for a Gallardo type that wouldn't eat us up in cost. Baltimore won't trade him, but that's the type of guy I'd look at.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree and I thought about the Odorizzi option, and like it ok. I want no part of Pomeranz

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does impressive look like? He's a middle reliever...they aren't really supposed to be flashy or impressive. Their job is to give you innings without giving up lots of runs. He's done that as Texas is 20-8 when he pitches.
What is impressive? How about someone who doesn't have a 1.5 WHIP and allow opposing hitters to hit .318 off of him for starters?

Even if you take BABIP into consideration and lower that average against to .300, that's still not good at all. His numbers are right in line with Claudio and Ramos in terms of WHIP and Avg. against. He's got a better ERA, so obviously he works out of self-created jams better than those other two. But the not impressive comment refers to the fact that he allows a ton of hits and walks and makes things interesting.