• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: We graduate to a two game series with the Reds here, 6/21 & 22

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He missed most of the rest of the season after the AS break last year too, if I remember right. Im not sure how much I can buy into those value metrics when he missed a big part of the second half of the contract and could possibly not pitch for them again. I can't remember if he helped them win any significant games either, but I don't believe so

Last year was his lowest as an Angel, 21 starts, he's generally been pretty reliable for 30+ starts until he got hurt last year, otherwise he would've easily achieved the value on that contract, in the end he didn't but not b/c of performance it was health as is often the case, just b/c the team didn't perform as expected doesn't mean Wilson didn't do so

Cliff Lee would've done the same and was well on his way until his last injury, but therein lies the danger in giving that kind of contract to a pitcher of his age

Personal feelings seem to play a factor in how many people on this board think a player is actually playing it seems

Also I did say he was going to come about 20 million short of meeting expectations due to the injury, which is the value of the last year

People say they don't trust metrics but I trust them far more than some people's gut and "eye test" but that's me, I prefer to trust numbers

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year was his lowest as an Angel, 21 starts, he's generally been pretty reliable for 30+ starts until he got hurt last year, otherwise he would've easily achieved the value on that contract, in the end he didn't but not b/c of performance it was health as is often the case, just b/c the team didn't perform as expected doesn't mean Wilson didn't do so

Cliff Lee would've done the same and was well on his way until his last injury, but therein lies the danger in giving that kind of contract to a pitcher of his age

Personal feelings seem to play a factor in how many people on this board think a player is actually playing it seems

Also I did say he was going to come about 20 million short of meeting expectations due to the injury, which is the value of the last year

People say they don't trust metrics but I trust them far more than some people's gut and "eye test" but that's me, I prefer to trust numbers

I never liked CJ because he was a nibbler. I hate all nibblers...When Teen starts to nibble I wanna throw a shoe at his head.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well....that game sucked. Chalk it up to the team being tired from a long road trip? Would be nice to see a blow out tomorrow if we win or if we lose so that all of the good bullpen arms get 3 consecutive days off in a row.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well....that game sucked. Chalk it up to the team being tired from a long road trip? Would be nice to see a blow out tomorrow if we win or if we lose so that all of the good bullpen arms get 3 consecutive days off in a row.
I will take a CG from Hamels.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked CJ because he was a nibbler. I hate all nibblers...When Teen starts to nibble I wanna throw a shoe at his head.
I am with you on that Rev. And I do hope Perez gets his stuff together. He is throwing way too many pitches in a short amount of time.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you on that Rev. And I do hope Perez gets his stuff together. He is throwing way too many pitches in a short amount of time.

Darvish belongs in the same group, he's more infuriating to me bc he doesn't have to live on the corners as much as Perez does yet he still does it (pre-surgery Darvish)

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Diekman could stand to pitch, he hasn't pitched in 3 days and twice in the last 10

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You kind of sound pessimistic. Are ya?

I've said for years I don't think Yu resigns here. And if I'm right, it's going to be real interesting to see how JD & Co handle him for the rest of this season, and how they approach this off-season/2017.

That's why it wouldnt surprise me to see a major name traded to Texas in the offseason. It'll take a Profar, Gallo, Brinson, Odor, Mazara to front the deal... but Jose Fernandez...come on downnnnn

And I'd be ok with trading away top tier prospects to the NL... AL...not so much.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why it wouldnt surprise me to see a major name traded to Texas in the offseason. It'll take a Profar, Gallo, Brinson, Odor, Mazara to front the deal... but Jose Fernandez...come on downnnnn

And I'd be ok with trading away top tier prospects to the NL... AL...not so much.

Yeah...not giving the A's anything for Gray...sorry Sonny, but I don't want Gallo, Brinson, Tate, and Profar kicking my ass every year.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...not giving the A's anything for Gray...sorry Sonny, but I don't want Gallo, Brinson, Tate, and Profar kicking my ass every year.

Not only that, but imo gray and Fernandes are not on the same level.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you elaborate? I haven't heard anything to suggest Yu doesn't like playing for the Rangers.

I did not say nor insinuate Darvish is unhappy here. But that doesn't mean he's going to resign here either.

Yu was almost like a rock star in Japan. He was on the cover of magazines, and doing TV/radio interviews constantly. And it appeared to me he rather enjoyed this. And there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

But, if this is what he enjoys then NY and LA are the two cities which would probably be attractive to him.

I also believe Yu feels like he's pitched at a WAY BELOW market rate - anyone wanna argue with this? - and in today's baseball climate, someone will offer him a kings ransom. Probably more ransom than the Rangers is my guess.

And a guess is all it is today.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu was almost like a rock star in Japan. He was on the cover of magazines, and doing TV/radio interviews constantly. And it appeared to me he rather enjoyed this. And there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

But, if this is what he enjoys then NY and LA are the two cities which would probably be attractive to him.

I also believe Yu feels like he's pitched at a WAY BELOW market rate - anyone wanna argue with this? - and in today's baseball climate, someone will offer him a kings ransom. Probably more ransom than the Rangers is my guess.

agreed that he's pitching below market value... when he pitches. losing 15 months to TJ kind of dilutes the value a little bit. but he will get paid handsomely his next contract.

regarding the media, I'm not sure how much of the spotlight he likes stateside. in Japan, yes, but I think this is a different Darvish now. Married, kids, etc. not sure how any of it would affect the Rangers ability to sign him - but I do think the Rangers make an effort to keep him.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not say nor insinuate Darvish is unhappy here. But that doesn't mean he's going to resign here either.

And a guess is all it is today.

Well darvish came in via the posting system, he could either take the contract offered or go back to Japan, them's the breaks... people were sick of getting screwed over by lousy Japanese pitchers whos skills didn't translate to what they ended up getting paid.... his contract is the result of that backlash

He will also be a pitcher turning 30, who's undergone TJ and had issues doing so i addition to a variety of other ailments and also the reputation as a pitcher that needs coddled to be effective... in addition to being stubborn about the way that he should be pitching at times

I think he's going to get paid, but I don't think it's going to be quite the windfall he's expecting unless he comes back this year and pitches great and puts in a full season next year as well of great pitching, w/o injuries

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed that he's pitching below market value... when he pitches. losing 15 months to TJ kind of dilutes the value a little bit. but he will get paid handsomely his next contract.

regarding the media, I'm not sure how much of the spotlight he likes stateside. in Japan, yes, but I think this is a different Darvish now. Married, kids, etc. not sure how any of it would affect the Rangers ability to sign him - but I do think the Rangers make an effort to keep him.

Even missing about the equivalent of a season and a half, in his first 3 years of the contract alone he almost pitched at double the value of what he was paid, when he actually pitched it was triple the value

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Diekman could stand to pitch, he hasn't pitched in 3 days and twice in the last 10
I actually thought about mentioning his name as well. He messes around too much as well

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jose is some kind of monster of a pitcher. I am intrigued by Teheran as well but not the same level or trade pieces of course as Jose. I think he has some great stuff.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish belongs in the same group, he's more infuriating to me bc he doesn't have to live on the corners as much as Perez does yet he still does it (pre-surgery Darvish)
I actually was referring to this post on he messes around too much. In 2012 made it into the 8th inning 5 times in 29 starts and 3 times in 32 starts in 2013. Better in 2014 doing it 6 times in 22 starts. He is too good of a pitcher to not make it into the 8th inning on a more consistent basis.