• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: We graduate to a two game series with the Reds here, 6/21 & 22

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby seems to think the muscle cramp is no big deal and that he's okay.
Glad to hear that. We don't need any more of this stuff going on with our pitchers. Why can't Fielder pull a hammy.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like they plugged him back into the closer role based upon it was his previously. Not sure what he was like while rehabbing but maybe they should have had him pitch some middle innings first and get up to speed. But Scosh is overrated so I am not surprised.

He pretty much said he would retire if he wasn't closer didn't he?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby seems to think the muscle cramp is no big deal and that he's okay.

holding my breath he is right and won't miss any time

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't heard that. If you are right in him saying that they should let him do whatever and pocket the money because that should have ticked management off. Their season is a lost cause anyway.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably, but Joe Smith hit a rough patch while closing and then had to go on the DL. LAA doesn't have many options, their pitching staff has had injury issues the last 2 years. How's that CJ Wilson contract working out for them?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this team is so close to being 100% complete and garbage-free. But lately we've been seeing the garbage being used too much- Fielder, Ramos, Claudio, and Barnette all need to be gone. Replace Fielder with Rua/Profar, Ramos with Holland, Claudio with Kela, and Barnette with a reliever acquired via trade.

Rotation: Darvish-Hamels-Lewis-Perez-Griffin
Bullpen: Dyson-Diekman-Bush-Kela-new RP-Tolleson-Holland

Limit Holland and Tolley's exposure and that's about as legit as it gets.

Barnette has been WAY better than Tolley, if you said get rid of both I get it, but to advocate one being gone and one as an active piece makes no sense... not that Barnette has even been that bad

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably, but Joe Smith hit a rough patch while closing and then had to go on the DL. LAA doesn't have many options, their pitching staff has had injury issues the last 2 years. How's that CJ Wilson contract working out for them?
Haha. CJ ha

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They tried so hard to kick us in the gut when they signed CJ and then took Hamilton because JD with good reason was sitting on what to do about Hamilton with the performance he had the 2nd half of that year. We all knew what the Angels were getting and it served them right.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They tried so hard to kick us in the gut when they signed CJ and then took Hamilton because JD with good reason was sitting on what to do about Hamilton with the performance he had the 2nd half of that year. We all knew what the Angels were getting and it served them right.
Now to get them to take Prince and throw in Claudio for free

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnette has been WAY better than Tolley, if you said get rid of both I get it, but to advocate one being gone and one as an active piece makes no sense... not that Barnette has even been that bad

Not too much of a comparison at this point, Tolley by the numbers has been worse but it seems he's been exposed more for certain. He has been in the higher leverage situations more often and had significantly more opportunities to stink at the start of the season. That said Barnette appears to have pitched better, from the eye test so far. Hopefully they both get better going forward.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

certainly liked our position the way things worked out then, and hindsight is no different. they are gonna be in a bind for several years

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually not bad, he achieved about 53.7 million in value in the first four years of a 5 year 77.5 million dollar contract, obviously the injury this year is going to prevent him meeting the mark but its going to woek out a lot better than the Pujols and Hamilton signings

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually not bad, he achieved about 53.7 million in value in the first four years of a 5 year 77.5 million dollar contract, obviously the injury this year is going to prevent him meeting the mark but its going to woek out a lot better than the Pujols and Hamilton signings

He missed most of the rest of the season after the AS break last year too, if I remember right. Im not sure how much I can buy into those value metrics when he missed a big part of the second half of the contract and could possibly not pitch for them again. I can't remember if he helped them win any significant games either, but I don't believe so

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tolleson has achieved sustained success at the ML level whereas Barnette hasn't. I'm willing to give Tolleson a pass on his first few horrific months of this season because he's got good stuff when it's working. Barnette started off well but has really scuffled lately.

With that being said, I did have Tolley on there as my last man in and Barnette as last one out, so if Tolley's troubles continue and Barnette manages to stay afloat, you could switch the two out for one another. I'm not really high on either to be honest. I know Barnette has the better numbers this year, but he's anything but impressive when you watch him pitch.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tolleson has achieved sustained success at the ML level whereas Barnette hasn't. I'm willing to give Tolleson a pass on his first few horrific months of this season because he's got good stuff when it's working. Barnette started off well but has really scuffled lately.

With that being said, I did have Tolley on there as my last man in and Barnette as last one out, so if Tolley's troubles continue and Barnette manages to stay afloat, you could switch the two out for one another. I'm not really high on either to be honest. I know Barnette has the better numbers this year, but he's anything but impressive when you watch him pitch.

What does impressive look like? He's a middle reliever...they aren't really supposed to be flashy or impressive. Their job is to give you innings without giving up lots of runs. He's done that as Texas is 20-8 when he pitches.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His BABIP is .360, if that regresses to closer to .300 as it typically does when a pitcher puts up ok numbers despite a high BABIP his numbers will improve, it just seems like he gets nickeled and dimed a lot

He also isn't very good against LHBs

I'm not saying Barnette is a great pitcher, but I think he has a role in this bullpen with his ability to pitch more than 1 inning at times