• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We could get Mat Latos

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DFA by the Dodgers, who make odd trades at time.
I did not investigate the reasons Matty was booted but it turns out, he was probably right about the Reds clubhouse.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't the first guy to talk about the Reds being a too comfortable loser. The recent worst was the Griffey, Dunn, Alex Gonzales, Edwin Encarnacion teams. You know, the guys they dumped when Dusty arrived, followed by an enema called Rolen...and a real pitching staff. Followed by the most dominsnt LHSP in a generation denied a single start, an anxiety riddled MVP, a manager that thought 1 out and 2 strikes was a great steal situation for slow ass runners, and a small ball philosophy that taught a 2 out solo homer was manufacturing runs. Viable winners have a lifespan shorter than tuna salad in August, and urgency shouldn't be avoided. All lessons unlearned, IMO.

Latos was a bad loser. Not a bad thing if you can be perfect yourself, and your manager has the balls and the GM's support to make winning the only thing accepted. Didnt happen, and it's always a team thing- everyone contributed to wasted opportunity.

Latos nor Dusty will ever be Reds again, for different reasons.

Price isn't a genius, but anyone that thinks this team is his fault probably believed Oswalt acted alone and Obama was born in Hawaii.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE="Price isn't a genius, but anyone that thinks this team is his fault probably believed Oswalt acted alone and Obama was born in Hawaii."[/QUOTE]

Love that statement

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about Oswald and don't much care at this point. Wherever Obama was born has no bearing on anything.

I do know that the deals the Reds have made to unload their "star" pitchers is looking much better as time goes on.

I am seeing that Cueto is happy now to give up 8 hits in 5 innings and suffer through 7 to keep from losing. I kept thinking toward the middle of July that whoever got JC was going to get hosed. So far, that appears to be the case.

Same with Leake ... who is probably worth Adam Duvall and Wattzisface, the pitcher.

Latos learned to pitch under Price's tutelage. After that, it was up to him. Latos will get a job in the bigs because he is young, and has MLB experience. My hunch is that it is contractual. Could be, he's just too hurt to pitch and is taking up space on the team bus. Could be, he just doesn't like Mattingly. Not everybody does.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Latos arm is damaged, and doesn't have the head to overcome it.

I think it's likely Cueto is also injured, but will hide it best he can until he has a pyramid of FA money to fall back on.

Leake is going to be the next Bronson Arroyo, not Greg Maddux, although he is likely to make better than Maddux money in todays MLB.

I think the Reds got decent return, primarily because most or all will see MLB rosters. I do not believe a single one will ever have a year that approaches Cueto's better seasons, however. I think they got a good middle reliever or two, and some number 4-5 ceiling starting pitchers if they were on on plus .500 teams. Suarez isn't as good a hitter as we saw this year, but if they plan on playing him at SS, I hope he's a better fielder than we saw. Duvall is just a righy Lutz, IMO.

The real young prize wasn't a trade- it is Iglasias. I'd keep whoever is in the Carribbean scouting, at it. Maybe a couple OF next time ?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You nailed it on the Cuban kid. If the Reds intend to fix their problems, they can't do it in the conventional way. They are going to have to find an Ichiro kinda hitter or another Latin superstud.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latos was picked up by the Angels. Pitched 2 innings in relief Tuesday.

Reds' fans complained about losing Cueto, Latos, Leake, and Simon. The new team's fan are probably complaining about getting them. None of them have pitched well. I think their ERA are all around 5 or more.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a reason the Reds were 76-86 last year and about 10 under .500 at the deadline this year.
Cueto was marginally effective part of this season. I suspect his attitude sucked more than anything.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it was the starting pitching that hurt us last year. The bullpen wasn't that good, but much better than this year. And like this team this year they can't score runs.