• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Walter football's 1st round mock dynasty draft

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since I hate rookies, I'd like to discuss this.

See, I believe that anyone who follows NCAA is perhaps consciously or unconsciously swayed by what they saw when these guys played college ball.
Because I can't understand why a guy like Metcalf would be ranked higher than a guy like Mercole.
I can only assume that Metcalf was a better collegiate athlete.

Unfortunately, Metcalf went to a run-first, pass-UNfriendly Seahawks team. (Wilson ranked 20th in passes attempted.)
Meanwhile, Cheifs moved up to get Mercole and rumors are he will immediately slide into Tyreek Hill's position. (Hill had 137 targets in Reid's offense. Only 12 other players across all positions had more.)
The landing spot clearly benefits Mercole over Metcalf.
This is how I feel also Joe. Not sure I buy that Hardman automatically gets Hill spot in the line up, but he might and that's a wonderful spot for a rookie WR.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kicked ass in the bench too...sub 10th percentile in most everything else

Every thing else? Not a whole lot of any thing left.:nod:

Screenshot - 5_24_2019 , 3_05_49 PM.png

Here's how they graded out athletely at the combine.....

Screenshot - 5_24_2019 , 3_11_40 PM.png Metcalf right in the #1 spot, Hardman is a ways down....

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the NFL.com scouts grading, which they use as a precursor to say.."probable starter" possible starter" chance to be a starter"..blah blah...not a determination of athleticism. All the agility drills he's down in the 8-12th percentile, cones and shuttles, in and out of cuts quickly, making quick movements and maintianing speed...basically the athletic tools needed to run anything other than a go.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Metcalf will be a very good player, but he's not going to put up top-tier fantasy football numbers unless the Seahawks suddenly start throwing the ball 600 times a year.

If he played in a different offense I could see it, but not with the Seahawks.

With the exception of DeAndre Hopkins and Michael Thomas, every one of the top 10 fantasy WRs played in an offense that threw the ball at least 583 times. The Seahawks attempted 427 passes.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the NFL.com scouts grading, which they use as a precursor to say.."probable starter" possible starter" chance to be a starter"..blah blah...not a determination of athleticism. All the agility drills he's down in the 8-12th percentile, cones and shuttles, in and out of cuts quickly, making quick movements and maintianing speed...basically the athletic tools needed to run anything other than a go.
Mecole didn't do those drills, but the drills Mecole did, Metcalf out performed him handly in every single drill, with plus 30 lbs on him. Metcalf had a bad cone drill, think he slipped a bit during the drill, pretty sure he would score better at with another attempt.

Needless to say little guys are going to , as a rule perform better at drills like the three cones.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Metcalf will be a very good player, but he's not going to put up top-tier fantasy football numbers unless the Seahawks suddenly start throwing the ball 600 times a year.

If he played in a different offense I could see it, but not with the Seahawks.

With the exception of DeAndre Hopkins and Michael Thomas, every one of the top 10 fantasy WRs played in an offense that threw the ball at least 583 times. The Seahawks attempted 427 passes.
Yeah Mecole is in a better spot no doubt. Still Metcalf could be a red zone target and do well that way.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mecole didn't do those drills, but the drills Mecole did, Metcalf out performed him handly in every single drill, with plus 30 lbs on him. Metcalf had a bad cone drill, think he slipped a bit during the drill, pretty sure he would score better at with another attempt.

Needless to say little guys are going to , as a rule perform better at drills like the three cones.
Hibestly, with 5" of height advantage, he only outjumoed him by 4".. Questionable if he actually did better

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Mecole is in a better spot no doubt. Still Metcalf could be a red zone target and do well that way.

I loved the pick, but even if he reaches his potential I can't see him putting up huge fantasy numbers in Seattle. 50 receptions, 800 yards and 8 touchdowns in our offense is the equivalent of 75 receptions, 1200 yards and 12 touchdowns in an offense that throws the ball 600 times a year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hibestly, with 5" of height advantage, he only outjumoed him by 4".. Questionable if he actually did better

I'm going to agree to disagree here, it's all besides the point anyways. We all know being a combine stud means nothing to how the player ends up doing in the NFL. I have Mecole Hardman on some of my rosters in FF, but not Metcalf. Which shows who I think presents a better value. Not sure either well excel.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are kinda missing the point with Metcalf. The real issue with him has to be his small sample size. If he can't stay on the field in college then why am I trusting him in the NFL?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are kinda missing the point with Metcalf. The real issue with him has to be his small sample size. If he can't stay on the field in college then why am I trusting him in the NFL?
Metcalf did have some injuries in college. Only played in half as many games as Hardman. You won't realize that from their stats.....

Screenshot - 5_24_2019 , 3_53_48 PM.png

Screenshot - 5_24_2019 , 3_56_29 PM.png

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Metcalf did have some injuries in college. Only played in half as many games as Hardman. You won't realize that from their stats.....

View attachment 206153

View attachment 206154
This is the whole 'systems' argument in reverse but if we're being honest both of these WRs are so fast that most college QBs are going to be wildly ineffective at getting them the ball deep.

All I know is that Metcalf was picked after 8 WRs and 3 TEs left the board.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to agree to disagree here, it's all besides the point anyways. We all know being a combine stud means nothing to how the player ends up doing in the NFL. I have Mecole Hardman on some of my rosters in FF, but not Metcalf. Which shows who I think presents a better value. Not sure either well excel.
Well, tbh, I'm not at all saying Metcalf is not a exceptionally gifted, maybe even world class "athlete", just that there are measurable, very real, weaknesses in his " athleticism. And those particular weaknesses are the very things that I feel separate guys like DHB, Braylon Edwards, ect..from the realms of being a real WR, and not just some one trick pony. And unfortunately, those things are abilities, not coachable skills, you either can do them or you can't. I think those are the reason this physical freak fell to where he did. Had he had that ability, he may have been the first guy off the board.
So to just blanket say he's a better athlete, when there are very basic, athletic tasks that others can do significantly better, its just kinda odd. Physical freak, yes, exceptional athlete, absolutely. Hands down better than a handful of other guys in his general vicinity, not so much.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth, IRL I would rather have deebo Samuel , aj brown, Parris Campbell

50/50 on nkeal Harry he has trouble with separation gonna be great or suck

Also gimme some Andy Isabella and dionte Johnson over them all

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, tbh, I'm not at all saying Metcalf is not a exceptionally gifted, maybe even world class "athlete", just that there are measurable, very real, weaknesses in his " athleticism. And those particular weaknesses are the very things that I feel separate guys like DHB, Braylon Edwards, ect..from the realms of being a real WR, and not just some one trick pony. And unfortunately, those things are abilities, not coachable skills, you either can do them or you can't. I think those are the reason this physical freak fell to where he did. Had he had that ability, he may have been the first guy off the board.
So to just blanket say he's a better athlete, when there are very basic, athletic tasks that others can do significantly better, its just kinda odd. Physical freak, yes, exceptional athlete, absolutely. Hands down better than a handful of other guys in his general vicinity, not so much.

Well IMO Metcalf is the better athlete, but just a opinion and I don't feel that what matters going forward. Feel like Reid does a better job developing WRs then Carroll does and runs a passing offense. So think at this time I'd rather have Hardman on my roster then Metcalf. At the same time think folks under estimate how a big WR with all that speed could be put to use, limited route tree and all. Seahawks are actually a good fit for Metcalf as taking shots downfield is something they do and do well . Also when Wilson scrambles a big target is a nice thing to have.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth, IRL I would rather have deebo Samuel , aj brown, Parris Campbell

50/50 on nkeal Harry he has trouble with separation gonna be great or suck

Also gimme some Andy Isabella and dionte Johnson over them all
Give me Campbell from that group, you can keep the rest of them.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyreek Hill had 31 catches for 281 yards and 2 TDs
Josh Gordon had 43 catches for 721 yards and 7 TDs
Terrell Owens had 38 catches for 724 yards and 8 TDs

A lot of genetic freaks leave early(or are kicked out in some cases)