• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

W/O Suh what attracts FAs to the Lions now?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than grossly over paying for guys like we've seen in the past, what does this franchise in its current state have to offer FAs the caliber of Suh, Hardy, Revis, Iupati and those like them? If Suh was bolting Miami would this team have a shot at him even if we had say 50 million in space like Oakland?

Calvin is past his prime. Stafford is what he is. Beyond that who do we have that lures other top players?

I'm a FA. Sell me on the Lions.

What makes the Lions the place to be over everyone else now without Suh?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the Lions would have shot at him. Suh is chasing a check. Wanting to win is not going to a team with same futile attempts of winning a division as the Lions.

Miami released or expected to release Wheeler and Ellerbee. So I sure hope he does make everyone all pro around him. Jeff Ireland really hurt that organization with his drafts. Now they are dumping players??? Yep he is surely going to a winning team. Unlike the Lions ownership, Dolphins fired their GM.

Do you think Tate said I will go to Detroit because of Suh?

I think having Austin in the room during a interview will help a lot. This guy took the same personnel( with Suh already) adding two guys in the mix and had a top defense. The fact they never did with Schwartz while Suh was here. It shows his scheme works. You can twist it also six ways and never convince me it was all Suh.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all Suh. Not all Austin. I really wanted to keep Suh. I will say this, however: I expect our defense with Austin/no Suh to be better than Suh/Schwartz was. My guess is we will drop to about 10th.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes the Lions would have shot at him. Suh is chasing a check. Wanting to win is not going to a team with same futile attempts of winning a division as the Lions.

Miami released or expected to release Wheeler and Ellerbee. So I sure hope he does make everyone all pro around him. Jeff Ireland really hurt that organization with his drafts. Now they are dumping players??? Yep he is surely going to a winning team. Unlike the Lions ownership, Dolphins fired their GM.

Do you think Tate said I will go to Detroit because of Suh?

I think having Austin in the room during a interview will help a lot. This guy took the same personnel( with Suh already) adding two guys in the mix and had a top defense. The fact they never did with Schwartz while Suh was here. It shows his scheme works. You can twist it also six ways and never convince me it was all Suh.

You're nuts if you think the Lions are better than Miami now. Miami beat the Patriots without him. Lions can't even hang with New England, let alone beat them or any winning team.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all Suh. Not all Austin. I really wanted to keep Suh. I will say this, however: I expect our defense with Austin/no Suh to be better than Suh/Schwartz was. My guess is we will drop to about 10th.

It was a combo that is now gone. Suh lead it. He made everyone around him much better. Austin knew how to use the players we have. He is obviously better than Gunther was in his last years. But there is just no way he works that magic again without his best player. Run defense was our strength cause of Suh, not pass defense. Now that run D is gone.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys normally go to a team for the right fit, the right money, the right coach or some combination of the 3. They are far less likley to go to a team to play with one guy. Even more so, if they spend the $17 mil they offered Suh wisely, it won't matter.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're nuts if you think the Lions are better than Miami now. Miami beat the Patriots without him. Lions can't even hang with New England, let alone beat them or any winning team.

New England lost to Miami week one and killed them in December. I mean seriously, did you even watch Miami last year? Suh will not make them better when they had to dump players to get him. Now they have more holes to fill.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New England lost to Miami

Exactly. Lions can't say that. Lions never beat any winning teams.

Now with Suh, they'll have an even greater chance to beat them more often. The players they dumped were overpaid and underachieving anyways. Wallace, Ellerbe etc...If they draft well they'll have 6 years to win with Suh. Mayhew sucks at drafting, wasted too many picks and failed to build a winner around Suh. Miami is a lot better than Mayhew at these things.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys normally go to a team for the right fit, the right money, the right coach or some combination of the 3. They are far less likley to go to a team to play with one guy. Even more so, if they spend the $17 mil they offered Suh wisely, it won't matter.

Rainbow club thinks Lions will draft well and spend wisely.

I don't see any proof to support that theory but anything is possible.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Lions can't say that. Lions never beat any winning teams.

Now with Suh, they'll have an even greater chance to beat them more often. The players they dumped were overpaid and underachieving anyways. Wallace, Ellerbe etc...If they draft well they'll have 6 years to win with Suh. Mayhew sucks at drafting, wasted too many picks and failed to build a winner around Suh. Miami is a lot better than Mayhew at these things.

Based on what? Miami hasn't had draft success and when they do they let them walk or trade them like Vontae Davis. Miami hasn't done anything right in free agency that I remember. What are you basing this off of? the only thing I can think of that Miami has done right in the past decade it finding Cameron Wake.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cooter is pretty good.

DetroitFan*

HAS NO FRIENDS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, now we can pay for some free agents as opposed to offering them a league minimum and laughing their way off the runway of the airport...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami is better than Detroit? Miami's offense will be a dumpster fire. Suh does not even fit their defense and they gave him franchise QB money. The whole situation is laughable.

If Lombardi gets his act together we will be as good as last year. If not he is gone next year and we bring in someone who can run an offense and still have money to keep Levy, Slay, Quin. We have about 3 or 4 more years before Megatron is an issue. This will be a good team for a while. Next year could be a hiccup with the offense and tough schedule, but clear sailing after that.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lombardi gets his act together we will be as good as last year. If not he is gone next year and we bring in someone who can run an offense and still have money to keep Levy, Slay, Quin.

I like the idea of getting rid of an OC rather than the HC every few years for a new philosophy, scheme and being inept. The Lions have already planned on Showcasing the offense next year when they said Stafford is going to have a big year. Think about it... the Lions defense played 4 quarter whereas the Lions offense played one for like the past two years.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than grossly over paying for guys like we've seen in the past,

Not sure how to quote with this new format on the site. That being said -- didn't Miami just do exactly what you are talking about the Lions having to do to bring in players?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how to quote with this new format on the site. That being said -- didn't Miami just do exactly what you are talking about the Lions having to do to bring in players?

Bottom right has two red quote boxes. Left one is multi-quote and right is normal.

Bottom left the pencil is edit.

I do not want to see edited Ebron posts now though...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. Lions overpay average players not elite ones.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Digs or Quin, I'm pretty sure they're reasonable to bargains. Johnson, and Tapp were both super low contracts out of contributors. We didn't overpay for Mosley. The big FA from last year Tate definitely outplayed his salary hit. Bush yes we overpaid, but it wasn't grossly. That was more about the emergence of other players than anything else. Houston was overpaid, but also a freak injury to a player that was ascending at the time of the contract. It has been a long time since we just threw money at guys that weren't good. KVB and Burleson were the last guys that I thought we grossly overpaid given what the market was doing at the time.

tk83

Semi-Senior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let the Fins overpay. The only move Suh has left is to stomp on guys. That ain't gonna win a championship.
All you true blue Lions fans should be relieved. Now maybe your team can play with some respect for itself (& others)