• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vogel Is In For Lakers As Head Coach

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with the Vogel hire. As others have said, he's a solid NBA coach. With Lebron on the team and if the kids continue to develop, they should be fine with him coaching, especially if they can add another top FA.

The Kidd hire is a bit worrisome though. Hopefully, he will stick with being an assistant and working with Lonzo and won't try to undermine Vogel. But I have some concerns about that, especially if they get off to a slow start or hit a rough stretch during the season.

Hopefully, they will hire a strong PBO and empower him to shut that shit down if Kidd starts angling for Vogel's job.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frank Vogel is a solid NBA coach. Not a difference maker, but solid.

The problem here is that he is kind of being set up to fail with the current power structure the way it is.

It has been widely speculated the LeBron strongly prefers 2 qualities in his head coaches:

1) former NBA player
2) black

Vogel is neither. But, his top assistant, Jason Kidd quite obviously is both.

I fear for Vogel that this set up is kind of similar to Blatt in Cleveland. LeBron is going to have a good relationship with Kidd. That is almost guaranteed. If Vogel is not able to earn his star's trust early on, I fear LeBron's people are going to try and push him out like they did Blatt, and like they did Walton.

I bet Vogel doesn't make it through 2 seasons.

The one difference, imo, is that the Cavs hired Blatt before they knew Lebron was coming back. In this case, Lebron is already here and would presumably have been okay with Vogel.

However, I worry that bringing in Kidd was a compromise of sorts with Lebron that could end up creating the very problem that you describe. Especially if the Lakers struggle at some point.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one difference, imo, is that the Cavs hired Blatt before they knew Lebron was coming back. In this case, Lebron is already here and would presumably have been okay with Vogel.

However, I worry that bringing in Kidd was a compromise of sorts with Lebron that could end up creating the very problem that you describe. Especially if the Lakers struggle at some point.

Yeah. It could be problematic.

I am not sure how much LeBron was involved here. In fact, earlier in the week the reports were that he was completely staying out of this decision. Which is a textbook passive aggressive LeBron move.

He plays no role in the hire, then as soon as things go south, he starts creating narratives to push Vogel out and get Kidd in.

Hopefully it doesn't go down like that, but it sure looks like it could. Vogel better start the season well and go out of his way to earn LeBron's respect and trust. And that doesn't mean bending to LeBron's every whim.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. It could be problematic.

I am not sure how much LeBron was involved here. In fact, earlier in the week the reports were that he was completely staying out of this decision. Which is a textbook passive aggressive LeBron move.

He plays no role in the hire, then as soon as things go south, he starts creating narratives to push Vogel out and get Kidd in.

Hopefully it doesn't go down like that, but it sure looks like it could. Vogel better start the season well and go out of his way to earn LeBron's respect and trust. And that doesn't mean bending to LeBron's every whim.

Agree.

I hope that the Lakers hire a strong PBO who will back Vogel similar to Riley when Lebron wanted Spo gone.

Also, hopefully Vogel will be like Ty Lue and not be afraid to call Lebron out when necessary.

If those things work out, then they should be fine. If not, it could be another long season.

Supposedly, Lebron is looking to come back strong next year to make up for what happened this year. If he stays committed to that, it should help as long as it means listening to the coach and avoiding drama.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More evidence TLF is a moron.

MizzouFalcon

Let’s Fuck Some Shit Up is my legal middle name
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said that?
I have a group of NBA fan friends who bandwagon from team to team. They are convinced the Lakers are about to assemble a 74 win all star team. So they all bought LeBron jerseys in preparation.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a group of NBA fan friends who bandwagon from team to team. They are convinced the Lakers are about to assemble a 74 win all star team. So they all bought LeBron jerseys in preparation.

Do they even realize their lameness? Or do they think that's what fandom is?

Shower Fart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This better work bigly from day 1 or LeBron will be a passive aggressive bitch about it. It will be interesting to see what FAs are willing to sign to play with him this summer.

MizzouFalcon

Let’s Fuck Some Shit Up is my legal middle name
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they even realize their lameness? Or do they think that's what fandom is?
The fact that they all also own KD Warrior and LeBron Heat jerseys make me think they have no clue about either.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,756.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They can't afford those 4 players.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kidd hire is a bit worrisome though. Hopefully, he will stick with being an assistant and working with Lonzo and won't try to undermine Vogel. But I have some concerns about that, especially if they get off to a slow start or hit a rough stretch during the season.

The fact that they were forcing Kidd on whoever they hire is very worrisome IMO. I will feel like I'm already on the hot seat if I'm Vogel.

You know they have a coach in waiting if you screw up....not the best feeling

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof now exists that DJ is a fucking bitch

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they were forcing Kidd on whoever they hire is very worrisome IMO. I will feel like I'm already on the hot seat if I'm Vogel.

Kidd was already working with Lonzo last season. This would be a continuation in an official role. Plus, Vogel is more known for his defense, and Kidd isn't being brought in as a position coach but in a major assistant coach role, so perhaps that includes offense in general?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who's the coach in waiting Jeanie's BFF Linda Rambis?