• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vikings/Redskins going after Greg Roman

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure how far up the list Roman is, as far as who the Vikes really want.
They've asked for permission to speak to a lot of guys, from what I hear on these talk shows.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There won't be a ton of people upset about it. Roman frustrates alot of people myself included. To be 100% fair to him, he's way better than any other OC we've had since Norv Turner was here several years ago.

I'd love to get Norv back, but I doubt Harbaugh will do it. I think Harbaugh will promote from within as getting Norv would change the offense. I don't mean Norv would move away from a power running game, but the design of plays and especially the way the offense runs would probably change. Example being the 2/3 plays called in every huddle that costs us 3 or 4 timeouts a game is something I could see Norv throwing out. He would probably throw out the jumbo sets in mid field too..... The more I talk about it the more I wish he would come here:drool:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So if Roman becomes a HC does Mangini become the OC next year?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I along in thinking Roman will not make a good head coach?
If I wanted a former Harbaugh protege to be my teams head coach I'd be going hard after David Shaw.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Shaw doesn't want to leave yet. So who would be next on the list?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Am I along in thinking Roman will not make a good head coach?
If I wanted a former Harbaugh protege to be my teams head coach I'd be going hard after David Shaw.

Hard to tell. Roman's smart enough to be a HC IMO. He has the attitude. He wouldn't exactly be on the top of my list if I wanted a HC though.

The question is does Harbaugh make him look better or does Roman make Harbaugh look better. I hope we don't have to find out next year.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Shaw doesn't want to leave yet. So who would be next on the list?

I'm sure if Dan Snyder wanted he could come up with about 8 million plus reasons Shaw should leave Stanford. The problem is I doubt he or anyone else would take the risk required to convince him to leave right now.

I'm not sold on anyone from our staff making a good Head Coach in the NFL, but I'd say Jim Leavitt, Eric Mangini and Jim Tomsula.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all coordinators are replaceable as far as I'm concerned.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure if Dan Snyder wanted he could come up with about 8 million plus reasons Shaw should leave Stanford. The problem is I doubt he or anyone else would take the risk required to convince him to leave right now.

I'm not sold on anyone from our staff making a good Head Coach in the NFL, but I'd say Jim Leavitt, Eric Mangini and Jim Tomsula.

The Redskins already reached out to him. He doesn't want to leave Stanford right now.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would be disappointed but its probably inevitable. I think the criticism of Roman is crazy and out of control, he's a good OC that does have the occasional hiccup. But to me, more than anything I just really enjoy the amazing variety of looks his offenses have, its entertaining to watch how many different styles and formations they bring to the big games. One thing I was watching during the game yesterday was the fullbacks.....all the talk of how they'd replace Miller, and instead they made the FBs an even bigger part of the offense with all these 2-FB sets, including a bunch with both offset in a pistol style that I don't think they'd ever shown before.

Roman is very creative and versatile with his styles, I think people underrate his ability to take what the opposition is giving and building a gameplan around it. I don't doubt we'd get another good OC, but maybe not one that is as interesting to watch work on a weekly basis.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He was when he was a coordinator, but he's an offensive assistant this year w/ SF.

Isn't the deal with Mangini that he basically scouts the Niners' offense as if he were the opposition defensive coach, then works with Roman based on those observations?