• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Verizon Fios

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have opinions about Verizon Fios?

I figured this would be the best forum to ask. My wife and I just purchased a house that is Cat-5 wired and the seller has been using Fios. The house also has a DISH satellite dish. We currently use Time Warner Cable for TV and internet.

From what I've read, the Fios internet speed is significantly better than cable. The TV service seems equivalent. Price wise it seems fairly close. Time to ditch TWC?

Thanks.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
miss fios, they dont have it available at my new house. but they have differing speeds for your needs. if you dont download or game TWC might still be ok for you. dont think i could go back to cable tv though, i have had directv for many years now.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have their TV, but their internet speed has never let me down. I have what is now the bottom tier 5/15 and have never run into any buffering/loading/lagging issues and we stream everything. I can be on the PS3 multiplayer while the wife is streaming netflix in the other room and you would never know either of us were online.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have opinions about Verizon Fios?

I figured this would be the best forum to ask. My wife and I just purchased a house that is Cat-5 wired and the seller has been using Fios. The house also has a DISH satellite dish. We currently use Time Warner Cable for TV and internet.

From what I've read, the Fios internet speed is significantly better than cable. The TV service seems equivalent. Price wise it seems fairly close. Time to ditch TWC?

Thanks.

I don't do too much online and I don't do online gaming so I can't comment on that but from the internet I do and the cable I really can't complain at all. It's quality, not to mention I love how the cable box does it's own self diagnostics if it detects a problem or the power goes out. You don't have to call and complain you have no cable.. As far as price... it is a little on the steep side.. and to save money we had to cut back on a lot of channels but I really can't complain too much about it at all. Never liked Dish or Satellite television since I know it always goes out when it rains or is cloudy, etc.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't do too much online and I don't do online gaming so I can't comment on that but from the internet I do and the cable I really can't complain at all. It's quality, not to mention I love how the cable box does it's own self diagnostics if it detects a problem or the power goes out. You don't have to call and complain you have no cable.. As far as price... it is a little on the steep side.. and to save money we had to cut back on a lot of channels but I really can't complain too much about it at all. Never liked Dish or Satellite television since I know it always goes out when it rains or is cloudy, etc.

I would get their TV if it didn't cost more per month to rent their darn set top boxes than to get the channels.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would get their TV if it didn't cost more per month to rent their darn set top boxes than to get the channels.

True that is a downside. It's 10 bucks for them so we only have the one in the living room. Took the one out of the bedroom as far as cable, which sucks but it has saved money

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very rarely have satellite reception issues with weather anymore. and if i do i just watch something on the dvr. missing live tv once in a blue moon doesnt bother me.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate the input. I think the faster internet speed makes sense for us. I need to cost out the TV portion.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Verizon Fios (so maybe this is just a Verizon thing) but lately they have NOT been putting on the shows "on-demand" 24-48 hours after the initial episode airs?

This just started within the last month or so...

It doesn't bother me too much since I have HuluPlus and Netflix but still. Anyone else notice this?

*** I am thinking this is televisions way to actually get people to watch live shows instead because of the tv revenue via commericials

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're probably doing that to make you want to buy their DVR box.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have Verizon Fios (so maybe this is just a Verizon thing) but lately they have NOT been putting on the shows "on-demand" 24-48 hours after the initial episode airs?

This just started within the last month or so...

It doesn't bother me too much since I have HuluPlus and Netflix but still. Anyone else notice this?

*** I am thinking this is televisions way to actually get people to watch live shows instead because of the tv revenue via commericials

I doubt that is the problem, since most channels on demand don't allow you to Fast forward... Watching demand ususally forces you to watch commercials...

As for your gripe, I haven't noticed because on demand is my last resort... I first watch all that I DVRd...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have DVR and I don't plan on getting it. I will just watch it on Hulu Plus (I have the Roku so it's linked with my big tv so I am set). Just wondering if and why they were doing this. But I am sure it was because they wanted people to buy DVR services or since Netflix and Hulu are so popular they are losing money