• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I want to screw the cable company

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With CBS prime, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and Youtube, you dont need cable except for sports

By the time you pay for all those streaming services, plus internet, you'd might as well get cable. That's the new scam. They tell people to cut the cord, but to get all the channels they used to get, hey need a bunch of new services.

The GF wanted Fox News, Hallmark Channel, a couple of those real estate channels and Food Network. It was cheaper to get cable, because each of the channels she wanted is on a different streaming service.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the time you pay for all those streaming services, plus internet, you'd might as well get cable. That's the new scam. They tell people to cut the cord, but to get all the channels they used to get, hey need a bunch of new services.

The GF wanted Fox News, Hallmark Channel, a couple of those real estate channels and Food Network. It was cheaper to get cable, because each of the channels she wanted is on a different streaming service.
You Tube is Free

Netflix is 10 dollars
Hulu is 6
CBS Prime is 10 and well worth it

Thats 26 a month and I seldom watch the regular cable

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spectrum has been sending me cable offers every few weeks. I still have internet from them, but I dropped the cable almost 2 years ago. They send via email and snail mail, and they all pretty much read the same: I can get cable for an additional $44.99/month for a year with no contract. What they don't tell you, unless you read the fine print and/or investigate further:
- that's the "introductory rate". Price goes up after the first year.
- "taxes/fees" not included. They charge extra for the cable guide (at least $3/month) and DVR (at least $12/month) There's also a "local channel surcharge" which is probably more than $10/month.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spectrum has been sending me cable offers every few weeks. I still have internet from them, but I dropped the cable almost 2 years ago. They send via email and snail mail, and they all pretty much read the same: I can get cable for an additional $44.99/month for a year with no contract. What they don't tell you, unless you read the fine print and/or investigate further:
- that's the "introductory rate". Price goes up after the first year.
- "taxes/fees" not included. They charge extra for the cable guide (at least $3/month) and DVR (at least $12/month) There's also a "local channel surcharge" which is probably more than $10/month.

Equipment is always extra. Thats where the cable companies actually make money.

I would suggest if FIOS is available you can get the 1 gig internet with a free router for 3 years and free cable. Of course even then you will have to pay for the rest of the equipment so it will still cost 25-30 bucks a month.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Equipment is always extra. Thats where the cable companies actually make money.

I would suggest if FIOS is available you can get the 1 gig internet with a free router for 3 years and free cable. Of course even then you will have to pay for the rest of the equipment so it will still cost 25-30 bucks a month.
Right now, I have Spectrum internet for $75/month plus $10 more for VOIP. That includes all equipment/taxes/fees, and I don't have a contract. It's been very reliable ever since a tech came out and replaced something on the pole behind my house. It's fast enough for my needs; just ran a speed test that came out about 100 Mbps.

I'm so "old school" I don't carry a phone, so I have a separate $25/month account for a PayGo flip-phone that I keep in my car.

When I dropped my cable, I looked into Verizon. i could get internet/cable for roughly what I'm paying now, after you add in all the equipment/other charges. I watched so little cable it's not worth the bother, especially when you factor in I'd need a contract with autopay to get the competitive rate.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that they want to screw you too so have at it young man :wink:

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I have Spectrum internet for $75/month plus $10 more for VOIP. That includes all equipment/taxes/fees, and I don't have a contract. It's been very reliable ever since a tech came out and replaced something on the pole behind my house. It's fast enough for my needs; just ran a speed test that came out about 100 Mbps.

I'm so "old school" I don't carry a phone, so I have a separate $25/month account for a PayGo flip-phone that I keep in my car.

When I dropped my cable, I looked into Verizon. i could get internet/cable for roughly what I'm paying now, after you add in all the equipment/other charges. I watched so little cable it's not worth the bother, especially when you factor in I'd need a contract with autopay to get the competitive rate.

I just got the internet. Told them even for free the cable was not worth it because of the extra equipment charges. Most cable channels are available on the web for free so its not worth paying for anymore.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to revive this thread. I quit cable a couple of years back. Biggest problem was being able to watch NFL games, but I've gotten by just fine....mostly. Amazon Prime, Sling and a antennae gave me plenty of NFL, when in a pinch I've used Yahoo and watched games on a tablet. I'll be cancelling Sling as soon as the NFL playoffs are done. For things non football netflix, and hula and a slew of free apps on prime gives me a ton to watch.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
January is the usual increase fee time. Haven't seen the bill yet.
Yep. But it’s coming especially when this Bally Sports thing settles down and they start selling product back to streaming platforms.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of rate hikes...

NetFlix just sent mine. $18 a month.

$20 is the Rubicon.