• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HBO Max and Discovery+ (Warner Bros. streaming services; formerly also HBO Now and DC Universe)

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apple is laying the groundwork for an iPhone subscription

This article hit today and shows how Apple is going to find entry into the market for Apple TV and bundle it with hardware (iPhones). This is why the Netflix purchase or merger would make sense.

The streaming market is going to have 4 major players soon:

Apple
Disney
Amazon
Warner

At some point, everyone is going to have to piggyback onto one of those platforms as add ons. Right now that is Amazon's strength because they are actively selling everyone else pretty much. Disney is about to cut bait with Amazon and I'll be surprised if you can access Disney using a Firestick in the future.

Right now Live TV matters but at some point it is going to die and Sports Rights are going to become available and that is when this is going to get interesting and we will see who survives.
And if the rumors about Apple wanting to buy Sony happen, that’ll give them a huge catalog of movies and shows to put on there.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if the rumors about Apple wanting to buy Sony happen, that’ll give them a huge catalog of movies and shows to put on there.
I just Googled their catalog and didn't realize that will give you Columbia, MGM and UA content as well. That is a considerable catalog haul all at once.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just Googled their catalog and didn't realize that will give you Columbia, MGM and UA content as well. That is a considerable catalog haul all at once.

Indeed. You know ATT isn't going to be a competitor for that since their stock is already down because of the HBO buy.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. If Sony is willing to sell, Apple should definitely go all in on it and hope that they can outbid Netflix and Amazon for that library.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm thinking.

If this happens I'll probably bundle Disney with my Hulu, stick with HBO, keep Prime (really use it for free postage anyway) and drop Netflix.

Netflix is going to be the big loser and honestly if they and Apple TV want to stay/become relevant they may need to combine.

I really like Star Trek but I'm not going to pay for CBS streaming to get it.

Netflix's popular original content (particularly with millennials) should keep them a major player.. there's a lot of brand loyalty there.

And when you look at these streaming services, not all of them are geared towards the same groups...

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Netflix's popular original content (particularly with millennials) should keep them a major player.. there's a lot of brand loyalty there.

And when you look at these streaming services, not all of them are geared towards the same groups...
The most watched stuff on Netflix isn't their original content and I've noticed a lot of their original content doesn't get renewed. My feeling is Netflix is over valued and we are going to see their numbers drop by at least a 4th when these other services get up and running.

Prime would be dead already if Amazon didn't give you other perks and all you were paying for was the streaming.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most watched stuff on Netflix isn't their original content and I've noticed a lot of their original content doesn't get renewed. My feeling is Netflix is over valued and we are going to see their numbers drop by at least a 4th when these other services get up and running.

Prime would be dead already if Amazon didn't give you other perks and all you were paying for was the streaming.

In terms of total viewers, their original content is certainly getting the most viewers on the whole. Shows like The Office might have more total minutes viewed, but that's largely because there's so many seasons and episodes.

Look at how many households are watching the likes of Stranger Things, Glow, Our Planet, Orange is the New Black etc.... Many of these top shows are easily getting tens of millions.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of total viewers, their original content is certainly getting the most viewers on the whole. Shows like The Office might have more total minutes viewed, but that's largely because there's so many seasons and episodes.

Look at how many households are watching the likes of Stranger Things, Glow, Our Planet, Orange is the New Black etc.... Many of these top shows are easily getting tens of millions.
I'm not sure how you know that because Netflix keeps its viewer counts under lock and key except when they have a hit and then release a strategically worded press release. However if you count the shows that don't get renewed verses the shows that do their hit ratio isn't that great and many of the shows you mentioned are done or are closing out soon.

The Marvel and Star Wars shows that Disney is going to produce are going to be a huge draw and Netflix is going to lose viewers. Their growth right now is internationally and that tells me there is saturation in the states. They are vulnerable from a business perspective.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how you know that because Netflix keeps its viewer counts under lock and key except when they have a hit and then release a strategically worded press release. However if you count the shows that don't get renewed verses the shows that do their hit ratio isn't that great and many of the shows you mentioned are done or are closing out soon.

The Marvel and Star Wars shows that Disney is going to produce are going to be a huge draw and Netflix is going to lose viewers. Their growth right now is internationally and that tells me there is saturation in the states. They are vulnerable from a business perspective.

They've started to release viewership data pretty recently, although not consistently.
Netflix's 8 most popular original movies and TV shows that it has shared viewership data for

And the things you're mentioning like Star Wars and Disney isn't necessarily targeting the average Netflix viewer...I mean, the majority of Netflix subscribers are female, and a large chunk of females aren't into Star Wars or superheros. When you look at the content for many of these platforms, it's geared towards different groups.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WarnerMedia has announced a launch date for HBO Max: Wednesday, May 27, 2020.

The service will be priced at $14.99 per month.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HBO Max debuted today for lots of people except with people getting HBO through Amazon Prime, Roku and Comcast

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HBOMax sucks so far. Buncha bullshit (Friends, We're Here & Queer Handi shows) + No App on Firestick. Fail.

"Love Life" with Anna Kendrick is your anchor original show, really? Dbldwn on the gayness.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I did that preorder deal that’s $11.99 for a year or whatever, have had and dropped hbo many times over the years, like a lot of their original stuff, so wanted to check it out.

With all the hype about streaming wars I’ve seen, nothing ever really seemed to compare to Netflix, other than maybe Hulu, who have been a thing for years so doesn’t really count with the new crop of streaming competition. Disney + is more of it’s own niche that isn’t going to replace Netflix or Hulu, and the networks streaming options are a similar kind of thing, they don’t really have the variety to be a Netflix replacement.

But HBO Max first look... if I had to pick only one streaming service, I could see it possibly being that.

Also, check out The Righteous Gemstones if you haven’t.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I did that preorder deal that’s $11.99 for a year or whatever, have had and dropped hbo many times over the years, like a lot of their original stuff, so wanted to check it out.

With all the hype about streaming wars I’ve seen, nothing ever really seemed to compare to Netflix, other than maybe Hulu, who have been a thing for years so doesn’t really count with the new crop of streaming competition. Disney + is more of it’s own niche that isn’t going to replace Netflix or Hulu, and the networks streaming options are a similar kind of thing, they don’t really have the variety to be a Netflix replacement.

But HBO Max first look... if I had to pick only one streaming service, I could see it possibly being that.

Also, check out The Righteous Gemstones if you haven’t.

These analysts always predicting that Disney + is going to kill off Netflix, when they serve to different markets.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HBOMax sucks so far. Buncha bullshit (Friends, We're Here & Queer Handi shows) + No App on Firestick. Fail.

"Love Life" with Anna Kendrick is your anchor original show, really? Dbldwn on the gayness.
I’m sure their sitcom options will grow. But even if it’s not your cup of tea, Friends and the Fresh Prince will be a solid draw for them. Especially considering Netflix has had friends locked down for years. The DC catalogue is also a good start. Throw in the expanded kids' programming, and the entire HBO catalogue already built in... It doesn’t suck...

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of Warner Bros new movies for 2021 will be on HBO Max (Dune, Matrix 4, etc)

Pretty big news but sort of necessary given the state of the world. All of the studio's new movies will be released in theaters and you can also watch them on the HBO Max streaming service