• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USF Coach suspended over Aaron Lynch related tweet

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate the pussification of this country, USF needs to maintain as much recruiting power as possible. It's competitive dis/advantage. If they lose ONE recruit because he didn't like that a coach talked bad about a player (in a public manner, no less) then that coach deserves the suspension.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, I really don't give a shit what Donald Sterling, or anyone for that matter, thinks, just what they do. Its their actions that count in my book.

Well, you DO realize that he has been sued for racial discrimination with his properties that is pretty public knowledge and the plaintiffs WON, right?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate the pussification of this country, USF needs to maintain as much recruiting power as possible. It's competitive dis/advantage. If they lose ONE recruit because he didn't like that a coach talked bad about a player (in a public manner, no less) then that coach deserves the suspension.

:agree:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did he do that upsets you so much?

The disrespect to teams in interviews, the lack of effort in the workouts at the combine at at the Pro day for the school. The general disrespect for the process and for authority. He seems like the typical "angry black man".

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The disrespect to teams in interviews, the lack of effort in the workouts at the combine at at the Pro day for the school. The general disrespect for the process and for authority. He seems like the typical "angry black man".

Link?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you DO realize that he has been sued for racial discrimination with his properties that is pretty public knowledge and the plaintiffs WON, right?

Then those should have been given as the reasons for his dismissal by Silver and not some silly illegally recorded private conversation.

Are you sure he lost those case you mentioned? I heard he either won or settled them all and has no record of illegality anywhere.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call paying out over 3.5 million dollars in a lawsuit LOSING. If it were in fact a garbage claim, he could have easily fought those claims in court. No businessman, specifically a slum lord, would bat an eye at forcing this to court.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call paying out over 3.5 million dollars in a lawsuit LOSING. If it were in fact a garbage claim, he could have easily fought those claims in court. No businessman, specifically a slum lord, would bat an eye at forcing this to court.

You are probably correct on this one. I haven't followed it very closely. Actions like those, if true, are awful. Saying something derogatory about a guy in a private conversation with your girl friend because you are a jealous old man is not so bad. Bitches make guys say and do crazy things all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure its worth looking up a link but it was in a story about the reasons why he dropped so low in the draft and was the reason he got kicked out of Notre Dame. He's a guy who will blame everything on somebody else; its never his fault.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably correct on this one. I haven't followed it very closely. Actions like those, if true, are awful. Saying something derogatory about a guy in a private conversation with your girl friend you are a jealous old man is not so bad. Bitches make guys say and do crazy things all the time.

Did you see the Anderson Cooper interview?!? He continues to put his foot in his mouth repeatedly. Don't blame bitches, blame racist old men who don't know when to shut up, regardless of who is talking to them.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see the Anderson Cooper interview?!? He continues to put his foot in his mouth repeatedly. Don't blame bitches, blame racist old men who don't know when to shut up, regardless of who is talking to them.

I think that is what started the original dig at me in this thread because I said I didn't see anything wrong or incorrect in what he said about Johnson in that interview. Johnson's behavior was abhorant and irresponsible and it led to him getting Aids by fucking everything that moved in every city he went to. I agree with Sterling that Johnson is not a guy to be looked up to. And if its OK with you, I will blame the bitches.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I'm not sure that comment by the strength & conditioning coach would've dissuaded a single recruit from going to UCF. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see how the comment would make anyone want to not go there. What's the thinking behind that?

"The dumbasses on the team will be thrown under the bus by the coaches. If I'm a dumbass, the coaches are going to trash me."

Would that really dissuade a recruit from going there? I mean you at least have to be a little bit tough to play FB at a college level don't you?

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure that comment by the strength & conditioning coach would've dissuaded a single recruit from going to UCF. Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see how the comment would make anyone want to not go there. What's the thinking behind that?

"The dumbasses on the team will be thrown under the bus by the coaches. If I'm a dumbass, the coaches are going to trash me."

Would that really dissuade a recruit from going there? I mean you at least have to be a little bit tough to play FB at a college level don't you?

Two sides of the story... right or wrong does not matter, but one way or the other it will have an effect... All it would take is one recruit to find fault with USF's strength and conditioning coach to create negative hype for the Bulls... I've been following recruiting for years now, and can honestly say it doesn't take much to turn off a recruit and have them never look back at a once promising university destination...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Two sides of the story... right or wrong does not matter, but one way or the other it will have an effect... All it would take is one recruit to find fault with USF's strength and conditioning coach to create negative hype for the Bulls... I've been following recruiting for years now, and can honestly say it doesn't take much to turn off a recruit and have them never look back at a once promising university destination...

What do you think the chances are that a comment like that would actually cast UCF in a positive light in the eyes of a potential recruit? I don't know how HSFB players think, but I actually gave the guy a lot of respect for what he said.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, it would. The fact that the coach seemingly went out of his way, and publicly ON Twitter, to put down Aaron Lynch after probably the biggest event of his life is a turn-off to a lot of people, including potential recruits. Just not a good look, at all.

If a recruit is having a hard time deciding between USF and another school, it could very well be the tilting factor into NOT picking USF knowing that they have a coach who publicly put down one of his ex-players on Twitter. Not only did he attack Lynch's work ethic, but also his character.

And you know me. I'm usually as anti-PC as possible when it comes to stuff like this but I'm with USF on this one. In recruiting you just have to look at every possible advantage. Sometimes it's that close.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What do you think the chances are that a comment like that would actually cast UCF in a positive light in the eyes of a potential recruit? I don't know how HSFB players think, but I actually gave the guy a lot of respect for what he said.

You give a guy credit for going on twitter to rip a former player? Why wasn't he talking prior to the draft? Why did this tweet come out after Lynch had been drafted? It's cowardly, it's stupid and he deserved to be removed from his job.

I also really don't think kids with NFL dreams will be impressed at the idea of a coach airing personal grievances. I imagine that a player being recruited to any school would like to be able to trust the coaching staff.

The S&C coach at USF (not UCF dammit) took a somewhat subliminal dig at a former player and NFL team without giving any specifics. It isn't as if this is Alabama. It's probably not in the best interest of coaches to be badmouthing NFL teams and front offices if you want to recruit players that have a shot at the NFL.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I don't know Sick, I'm just giving you another POV from the recruiting side of things... After all these years of following the recruiting process, I have seen potential recruits shun potential college destinations for far less than this incident... And to take it a step further, I'm sure Lynch has friends on the current USF team that didn't care for coach meat-head's comments... Its just another reason for a coach so far down the chain of command to just keep his mouth shut about players publicly...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You give a guy credit for going on twitter to rip a former player? Why wasn't he talking prior to the draft?

Maybe he wasn't going to say anything if Lynch didn't get drafted. I don't know.

You guys may have a point. Like I said, I don't know how these recruits think. I guess my mind doesn't work that way. I don't think it was cowardly at all. I thought it was the exact opposite. In fact, I think comments like those potentially help dumbass players (like Lynch was apparently) a ton more than tickling their egos with flattery (which is all they're used to hearing).

Did I say UCF? :doh: I don't know from whence that came. In my mind I was thinking Bulls, but I said UCF for some reason.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some farily important differences between the sign at LSU and what this coach did.

1. Presumably, Les Miles is aware of the sign at LSU and has approved it. This tweet was sent out, presumably, without the approval of the head coach. Football teams are not democracies. If you break from the approved message you should expect some degree of discipline.

2. The LSU sign was "in house" and was released to the public through a third party (presumably someone associated with an NFL team). You can argue that it was posted in 2012/13 and its "release" to the public was inevitable, but ultimately it was not a coach, who is subordinate to Miles, who released the information. In the USF/Lynch case the coach shared his opinion with the general public directly directly. Speaking of his opinion. . .

3. Presumably the players listed on the sign at LSU were missing workouts. That would then be a fact. There is opinion (lack character and motivation etc), but the sign is grounded in what is presumably an indisputable fact. The USF tweet is 100% opinion. He didn't bring any facts to the discussion.

4. The LSU sign is posted informing scouts the S&C coach will not answer questions regarding those players. Presumably the questions that the S&C coach are asked are related to workout numbers, dedication to working out and character. He has answered some of those questions(opinion-based ones) in his sign, and made it clear he won't discuss the statistical/fact questions. The USF coach is simply public bashing a player AFTER the draft. He may have shared his opinion with the Niners, and any other team, during the scouting process. He clearly has some grudge with Lynch though, that he has chosen to express pubically.

5. I don't remember any LSU coaches bashing Sam Montgomery last year.

6. Your comment "This is why LSU is LSU and USF is USF" is slightly off. It's not WHY. It's BECAUSE. This is BECAUSE LSU is LSU and USF is USF.

LSU can afford to put up signs like that because LSU's best recruiter is its history. USF doesn't have a history. They can't bring potential recruits to the facilities and show off National Championships. They can't walk down a hall with name after name of NFL players. There are currently 17 former USF Bulls in the NFL. The most (only?) notable is Jason-Pierre Paul. There are 53 LSU Tigers. I'm not even going to try to pick the most notable. USF has put a total of 56 players in the NFL in its history. The vast majority as undrafted FAs who may never have made a game day roster (this doesn't include this year's draft picks and udfa class).

LSU has nearly as many players in the NFL right now as USF has put in the NFL in the school's history.

USF has had a total of 2 first round picks in its history. LSU has had 38 (+4 in the AFL).

LSU will pretty much always land 4 and 5 star recruits. They will compete for the top talent in Louisiana, Alabama, Florida and Texas. USF at this point will fight with UCF, and possibly FAU for guys that don't sign with SEC schools first, and then don't get interest from the Big 10, Big 12, ACC and Pac 12.

Apologies for the delayed response....been off the grid. Let me start by saying I have not read any of the posts after this....quite honestly my interest in this topic is waning. This may also be the classic "we'll have to agree to disagree".

Stripping all the bantering back and forth down, my core position is that in the absence of some kind formal school policy OR a history of issues with this employee resigning, being fired, losing your job, or whatever you want to call it seems way over the top to me. Not gonna change my mind on that.

Now...to address some of the other comments above I actually have some uncommon insight on the picture I posted.

I happen to entertain a booster for LSU on occasion through my job. He'll remain anonymous but let's just say Les has his picture on his wall and not the other way around. Big $$$ booster. That being said, he's a really nice guy and extremely down to earth. I happened to be at a corporate event ~30 days after this happened. I can tell you this did stir up a some folks at LSU and among supporters BEFORE the picture even got out. A lot of boosters were not happy with this sign and in fact said some (if not all) of the kids listed were being misrepresented. I have no idea of the actual truth and don't really care. The sign came down very shortly after the picture surfaced. It was clearly not an approved sign OR method to handle topics of this nature. The coach wasn't fired but he may have been disciplined. I don't recall all of the details of the discussion and I'm not going push my feeble memory beyond what I can actually recall. I agree they aren't exact comparisons but in both cases a coach made disparaging remarks about players with very differing impacts on the offending coach.

People do dumb things...we all make mistakes...in my opinion the punishment seems way more severe than the crime (again barring the disclaimers earlier in my post).

As for the remainder of your points, I'll surrender.....I actually regret making the post. Never would have started this if I thought it was going to turn into a manifesto. I come here as an escape not solve world hunger.

:suds: