• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC vs. Bama in 2016

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont like that Bama plays some cupcakes at home and have gone on record for stating so on plenty of occasions in numerous threads. I have also stated that i wont debate why it happens(although I do post my opinions as to why occasionally). Do I think they are afraid to play home and homes, no as they have plenty of them to show they have done so in the past 100 years. Do i think that a new model is emerging for neutral games that are marquee match-ups that net both teams money and give the fans a good game to watch, sure. Do I see my teams Coach as one of the best and one that will play any team, any where, sure i do, but I also know that the ultimate name of the game is money rules all. I am a realist in this respect.

I would love to see the days of the old college football, many dont even know that that looks like and cannot fathom the battles that were so epic back in the day. but in that same respect, we did not have the internet to whine and complain or even know that team A was not doing what team B through Z1000 felt they should be doing. this world of instant media coverage as in a sense cheapened the game as it allows the fans to create biases instead of looking at the Teams that are perennial powers like the Alabama's, USC's, Texas's and so on as just that. Now we get to view them as less than they should be due to the instant media. Gone is the mystique we once felt about playing USC because now we know everything they have on the field, what they are capable of pretty much down to the exact plays they might run and so on due to this age of technology. I hope this translates as it came out in my head, been in the bottle a bit this afternoon while researching for work and its fuzzy again.

I agree with much of this and you have stated on several occasions that you're not a fan of the cupcakes or at least not so many of them.

I have a bit of a love/hate when it comes to neutral site games. I love them because it usually means that we're going to get to see a good matchup. None of these neutral site games are ever 'Bama vs. Coastal Carolina or USC vs. Azusa Pacific.

I hate them because they remove much of the culture and tradition of the schools that are playing in them. Especially when we're talking about programs as tradition rich as Alabama and USC.

I doubt I'll make much of an effort to get to Jerrah World to see the USC/Alabama game, but I would sell my kids and grandkids for medical experiments to get to Tuscaloosa. I want to have my picture taken by Bear Bryant's statue, see the sidelines he walked on, see the facilities, the trophies and experience how Bammers do tailgating.

The only thing I don't want to experience is the t-bagging. So Bamabear would have to leave his t-bagging britches at home.:lol:

By the same token, I want to see Alabama fans checking out USC's culture and traditions. Heritage Hall, Trojan walk, the Heisman's, the unique way that USC does tailgating, etc. For me, that's a big part of the attraction of college football.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why he is probably best as an assistant coach under Saban right now. Saban has a gag order on most of his people and tells the ones that he thinks can speak to the media without creating a firestorm of controversy or spouting ignorant bullshit that its ok to talk to the media. Notice that only certain ones each year get to really talk to the media and thats by Saban design.

Not sure that Saban will make it to HC of Bama with Mario Christobal and Kirby Smart there currently in waiting. One of them seems more likely at this point and Kiffin is in a prove your worth phase to Alabama's fans.

That's probably the best thing in the world for Kiffin and if he's smart enough to listen and learn from Saban, it could very well save his career.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with much of this and you have stated on several occasions that you're not a fan of the cupcakes or at least not so many of them.

I have a bit of a love/hate when it comes to neutral site games. I love them because it usually means that we're going to get to see a good matchup. None of these neutral site games are ever 'Bama vs. Coastal Carolina or USC vs. Azusa Pacific.

I hate them because they remove much of the culture and tradition of the schools that are playing in them. Especially when we're talking about programs as tradition rich as Alabama and USC.

I doubt I'll make much of an effort to get to Jerrah World to see the USC/Alabama game, but I would sell my kids and grandkids for medical experiments to get to Tuscaloosa. I want to have my picture taken by Bear Bryant's statue, see the sidelines he walked on, see the facilities, the trophies and experience how Bammers do tailgating.

The only thing I don't want to experience is the t-bagging. So Bamabear would have to leave his t-bagging britches at home.:lol:

By the same token, I want to see Alabama fans checking out USC's culture and traditions. Heritage Hall, Trojan walk, the Heisman's, the unique way that USC does tailgating, etc. For me, that's a big part of the attraction of college football.

And see, I agree with all that you stated in this post. Especially the parts about me:lol:

I like the tradition of the older way we did things in college ball. Seemed more legit to me back then, this is a watered down version of the game compared to the days you could see the spit knocked out of the QB's mouth in the upper deck on a good hit, or hear a helmet crunching bones in a midfield collision between a linebacker and a receiver. The artistry and pageantry(borrowed line for socaljims sake) are missing from today's game. We have allowed the sport to be dumbed down by the NCAA with all of its rules and the networks with its match-ups on neutral fields. Now that its to that point all we can do is learn to like it or have an ulcer trying to change what will not until the necessity to do so arises.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My contention is that teams dont magically change like that overnight and to think that had that game that was played in 2011 had been played on any other field and it changed by a magnitude of 42 points is a ludicrous thought in the first place. I used it as an argument that Alabama has clearly shown they are not afraid to play any team as they have since their very first football game way over 100 years ago. Case in point, they actually made their bones on playing on the WEST COAST of this great nation by beating teams on that side of the US and putting Southern football on the map. So While I agree that you retracted the word scare, i used that analogy to show that they are not scared and clearly have no reason to be.

I don't think they are scared. but I do think the scheduling is set up the way it is for a reason. I think its looked at as not being a disadvantaged situation. I think based on location its probably a given there will be more bama fans then USC. no crowd noise you can audible and change plays at the line all you want in a neutral site. I think where a game is played can change entire landscape of game. look at NFL divisional opponents. one team will get beat by 21 points on the road. then play the same team later in season on the road and deliver same beat down they got given to them earlier. lets just say for hypothetical reasons usc goes to dallas and loses by 10 points. personally I will think had they got them at home that would have gave usc the edge.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they are scared. but I do think the scheduling is set up the way it is for a reason. I think its looked at as not being a disadvantaged situation. I think based on location its probably a given there will be more bama fans then USC. no crowd noise you can audible and change plays at the line all you want in a neutral site. I think where a game is played can change entire landscape of game. look at NFL divisional opponents. one team will get beat by 21 points on the road. then play the same team later in season on the road and deliver same beat down they got given to them earlier. lets just say for hypothetical reasons usc goes to dallas and loses by 10 points. personally I will think had they got them at home that would have gave usc the edge.

So by that token you would then say that if Bama played USC at Bryant Denny that the beatdown would be twice as bad? See I dont think this nor do I think that venue plays that big a part in the difference between two teams that can actually play football and are prepared for the game. A few points here or there is ok to envision, but to think it makes a world of difference based on where you play is ludicrous.

If you feel its that big a difference then maybe you should try to sell this theory to Vegas as they certainly dont hold any liking to your theory at all. You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but circumstances chang from day to day and moment to moment, so to make that claim as you did is pure speculation. Kinda like holding truth to the belief that if Colt McCoy had stayed in the game against Bama they would have beaten Bama. Cannot be accurately claimed since it didnt happen and its only opinion not based on fact.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Have to agree with you on this. While I like the fact that the Neutral site games give lots of variety, there is something lost in translation.

I've been lucky enough to have seen a lot of college games in different stadiums, including a ton of non-Bama games. Just like every state has something to offer, every team has their own unique gameday experience. I saw USC vs Oregon at the Coliseum for a nail biter in 2010 when I was living in LA...would love to be seeing Bama vs USC in 2016 and 2017 at the Coliseum and then Bryant Denny, but by the same token, I'll take Jerry World rather than no game.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree with you on this. While I like the fact that the Neutral site games give lots of variety, there is something lost in translation.

I've been lucky enough to have seen a lot of college games in different stadiums, including a ton of non-Bama games. Just like every state has something to offer, every team has their own unique gameday experience. I saw USC vs Oregon at the Coliseum for a nail biter in 2010 when I was living in LA...would love to be seeing Bama vs USC in 2016 and 2017 at the Coliseum and then Bryant Denny, but by the same token, I'll take Jerry World rather than no game.

Definitely better than no game.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish more teams in general would play teams across the country. I'd prefer for these matchups to be against noncon opponents that they wouldn't regularly see in a BCS bowl (ie, no Pac12 vs B1G game, etc) that way we would see different teams and matchups.

I love the home and home series we have with Clemson every once in awhile, immediately hyped for the first game those years. Can't wait to play ND. I HATED that our series with Oregon was canceled, even though there was a good chance we lose both games (think we would've split).

I'm all for better NonCon games across the countries. USC-Bama, Michigan-Miami, Texas-FSU, UGA-UCLA. Whatever it is, give me more high-level football
AMEN!!! I have been saying this same thing for years.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn!!! This is such a good comment!!!! Good job. :suds:

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And see, I agree with all that you stated in this post. Especially the parts about me:lol:

I like the tradition of the older way we did things in college ball. Seemed more legit to me back then, this is a watered down version of the game compared to the days you could see the spit knocked out of the QB's mouth in the upper deck on a good hit, or hear a helmet crunching bones in a midfield collision between a linebacker and a receiver. The artistry and pageantry(borrowed line for socaljims sake) are missing from today's game. We have allowed the sport to be dumbed down by the NCAA with all of its rules and the networks with its match-ups on neutral fields. Now that its to that point all we can do is learn to like it or have an ulcer trying to change what will not until the necessity to do so arises.
Good comment!!!

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So by that token you would then say that if Bama played USC at Bryant Denny that the beatdown would be twice as bad? See I dont think this nor do I think that venue plays that big a part in the difference between two teams that can actually play football and are prepared for the game. A few points here or there is ok to envision, but to think it makes a world of difference based on where you play is ludicrous.

If you feel its that big a difference then maybe you should try to sell this theory to Vegas as they certainly dont hold any liking to your theory at all. You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but circumstances chang from day to day and moment to moment, so to make that claim as you did is pure speculation. Kinda like holding truth to the belief that if Colt McCoy had stayed in the game against Bama they would have beaten Bama. Cannot be accurately claimed since it didnt happen and its only opinion not based on fact.

well I do think from games I have seen televised involving bama that they do get home cooking with officials. to each their own opinions. but again you have been accustomed to your school not playing these games on the road for the most part over the last 10-12 years. so seems to me easy to say something without anything to back it up...on one hand usc will play anyone anywhere...Alabama will play anyone almost anywhere just not in another teams stadium.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well I do think from games I have seen televised involving bama that they do get home cooking with officials. to each their own opinions. but again you have been accustomed to your school not playing these games on the road for the most part over the last 10-12 years. so seems to me easy to say something without anything to back it up...on one hand usc will play anyone anywhere...Alabama will play anyone almost anywhere just not in another teams stadium.

This would be a valid comment if I were not a lifelong Alabama fan and an Alumni of the school. My span of games seen predates the 1970's, so to make a claim that I am accustomed to them not playing these games, no matter the time frame is simply not true. I have in the last few years watched them play Duke at Duke and also traveled to PSU for the last time that they played Penn State. So I have seen them play on the road in just the last several years myself.

And what is funny is that you keep throwing the backhanded comments that Bama wont play teams in their home stadium, when this simply is not true as they have on plenty of occasions. They just have not gone out of their way recently due to not having to with the newer model of neutral site games and them being asked almost every year to be in one of those games. Sorry if your team hasnt, but maybe that will change now that they are back off of probation and might be back on the upswing again. Playing Alabama certainly wont hurt that uptick any, unless you get blown out of course. Actually I have yet to see why it twists your panties that Alabama wont play a home and home except that some people have to find anything they can to be upset about and it appears that you may be one of those people. Good luck with that, maybe you and socaljim can start an awareness group together.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two more years of the same 5 bullet points on both sides.

I can see this thread both being fun at times, and getting very old too.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be a valid comment if I were not a lifelong Alabama fan and an Alumni of the school. My span of games seen predates the 1970's, so to make a claim that I am accustomed to them not playing these games, no matter the time frame is simply not true. I have in the last few years watched them play Duke at Duke and also traveled to PSU for the last time that they played Penn State. So I have seen them play on the road in just the last several years myself.

And what is funny is that you keep throwing the backhanded comments that Bama wont play teams in their home stadium, when this simply is not true as they have on plenty of occasions. They just have not gone out of their way recently due to not having to with the newer model of neutral site games and them being asked almost every year to be in one of those games. Sorry if your team hasnt, but maybe that will change now that they are back off of probation and might be back on the upswing again. Playing Alabama certainly wont hurt that uptick any, unless you get blown out of course. Actually I have yet to see why it twists your panties that Alabama wont play a home and home except that some people have to find anything they can to be upset about and it appears that you may be one of those people. Good luck with that, maybe you and socaljim can start an awareness group together.

define plenty please? 3 or 4 in over 12 years? im sorry but theres no way to view that other than pathetic. basically you have played penn st on the road during that span. lol @ duke might as well have played north texas on the road. my take on the home and home is that for the most part Alabama is one of the few teams that don't care to do home and home with non conference opponents. auburn plays at Kansas st this season. usc plays @ texas with the next few years. LSU has upcoming road games with Syracuse, Arizona st, ucla, and Oklahoma. hell even Georgia will play @ notre dame. A&M has Oregon and ucla on the road currently. now whats wrong with bama?

Alabama has the 3 championships in 4 years or whatever. if they had even 1 or 2 of the above road games scheduled in that span who knows maybe they don't make it to those championship games.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
define plenty please? 3 or 4 in over 12 years? im sorry but theres no way to view that other than pathetic. basically you have played penn st on the road during that span. lol @ duke might as well have played north texas on the road. my take on the home and home is that for the most part Alabama is one of the few teams that don't care to do home and home with non conference opponents. auburn plays at Kansas st this season. usc plays @ texas with the next few years. LSU has upcoming road games with Syracuse, Arizona st, ucla, and Oklahoma. hell even Georgia will play @ notre dame. A&M has Oregon and ucla on the road currently. now whats wrong with bama?

Alabama has the 3 championships in 4 years or whatever. if they had even 1 or 2 of the above road games scheduled in that span who knows maybe they don't make it to those championship games.

Pure opinion based comment that holds very little water with people who dont get butthurt over the slightest little thing. Perhaps you can explain to us all(we really do want to know) how Alabama's OOC schedule has any thing to do with you personally.

See, if you would take the time to read the comments in this thread by me, maybe you would get a couple of answers as to why you asking my this ridiculous question is a waste of time. I know what you want me to say and I know that you think that it will give you some satisfaction to read it. You would be able to tell all the other twisted panty friends you have that you made a convert, but i am sorry to say this to you at this time, your whines are falling on deaf ears and the reasons are here in this thread for you to read, all you have to do is make the effort.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two more years of the same 5 bullet points on both sides.

I can see this thread both being fun at times, and getting very old too.

This thread isn't even about the game itself.

I didn't realize USC had turned into Boise St. I guess being a shitty team for all these years has given them an inferiority complex.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't realize USC had turned into Boise St. I guess being a shitty team for all these years has given them an inferiority complex.

LOL shitty team, USC was under sanctions from 2011 to 2013, with the loss of 30 scholarships, they still managed to go 27 & 10.

Alabama's recent sanction in the early 2000 led them to only 21 loss in scholarships, they managed to only go 20 & 18, tells us again who has a shitty team. :laugh3:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We played more games, obviously USC is scared to play as many games.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, look who's back.

What's the over/under on how soon 4d20 goes full butthurt and storms off again?