• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USC Is Loaded

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but they are a legit P5 team and a bit of a rival. So USC should expect more resistance than we got from Rice. I'm looking forward to seeing how we handle their running game.
They went 3-9 last season. I understand what you mean by testing the defense with a running game but they aren't going to be very good IMO.

That defense is what has me waiting for that USC game later......:heh:

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recorded the TCU-Colorado game and watching it right now.

Safe to say Colorado is going to be garbage again this season.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They went 3-9 last season. I understand what you mean by testing the defense with a running game but they aren't going to be very good IMO.

That defense is what has me waiting for that USC game later......:heh:

They will be better than they were last year. They aren't a threat to win the PAC, but they could have a say in who does.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding DTR @trojanfan12......receiver isn't a strength. We got Bobo through the transfer portal after Kyle Phillips went off to the Titans (local baby!!!!!!) but pre-Pac will be trying to find DTR a WR he can rely on. Allen and Norwood (yesterdays leading targets) are getting their first taste of major PT.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recorded the TCU-Colorado game and watching it right now.

Safe to say Colorado is going to be garbage again this season.

Looking similar to what Dorrell did at UCLA and that's not a good thing.

Last edited:

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DTR needs to trust Bobo more.....only had 3 catches and he has more experience than Allen and Norwood.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking similar to what he did at UCLA and that's not a good thing.
He had that 1 season in 2005 when he went 10-2, surprising even me.

Dorrell going to get fired after this season.....he just needs to realize what he is.....a solid position coach in the NFL.

No shame in that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding DTR @trojanfan12......receiver isn't a strength. We got Bobo through the transfer portal after Kyle Phillips went off to the Titans (local baby!!!!!!) but pre-Pac will be trying to find DTR a WR he can rely on. Allen and Norwood (yesterdays leading targets) are getting their first taste of major PT.

The problem, imo, is that it doesn't look like he has really improved his consistency and as the season goes on, they're going to be facing teams that are going to be a lot tougher to come back against. Might just be 1st game jitters and still trying to find a "go to" receiver, but if I'm a UCLA fan, I'm keeping an eye on that.

UCLA's win was the kind coaches love...they won handily...but they still have a lot to yell about in practice this week. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had that 1 season in 2005 when he went 10-2, surprising even me.

Dorrell going to get fired after this season.....he just needs to realize what he is.....a solid position coach in the NFL.

No shame in that.

If I was a head coach in college or the NFL...I'd hire him as an assistant in a heartbeat. Some guys just aren't cut out to sit in the big chair and like you said...no shame in being a solid assistant. You'll always be able to find a job.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem, imo, is that it doesn't look like he has really improved his consistency and as the season goes on, they're going to be facing teams that are going to be a lot tougher to come back against. Might just be 1st game jitters and still trying to find a "go to" receiver, but if I'm a UCLA fan, I'm keeping an eye on that.

UCLA's win was the kind coaches love...they won handily...but they still have a lot to yell about in practice this week. lol
He completed 74% of his passes.....wasn't perfect but I really think he is trying to find a go to guy.....not to mention Charbonnet's running sets up our passing game.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He completed 74% of his passes.....wasn't perfect but I really think he is trying to find a go to guy.....not to mention Charbonnet's running sets up our passing game.

Charbonnet is definitely a problem. Dude runs angry. DTR can be rattled...Charbonnet can't.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charbonnet is definitely a problem. Dude runs angry. DTR can be rattled...Charbonnet can't.
Those 2 will be fine.....DTR especially if he relies on Bobo.....The defense will be our make or break.....IMO.

The first 5 games let us figure a lot of things out, very favorable.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt see the game but lets not lose perspective people. It was Rice. Nice win, but lets wait until you play someone with a pulse.

And yes, I say the same thing about Bama's win last night.

OUGuy1999

BOOMER..SOONERS!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt see the game but lets not lose perspective people. It was Rice. Nice win, but lets wait until you play someone with a pulse.

And yes, I say the same thing about Bama's win last night.

Agree.

Where I do take some optimism is that, if you're wanting to be considered an elite level team, you have to beat teams like Rice the way that an elite team should. USC did that yesterday.

The past several years under Helton there have been too many of these games where the "undermanned" team was still in the game in the 4th quarter.

They still have a lot of work to do if they really want to be considered elite though.

For example, for about the first quarter and a half, the defense looked vulnerable to the run. Then, they shut it down the rest of the game...but I don't know if that was because they figured something out, or if it was because the game was getting away from Rice, so they had to pass more.

I also want to see how the offense responds when they are in a spot where they have to have a first down or have to score to take away a teams momentum.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not saying I agree, but…

lol

It's a dumb, clickbait article written by a casual.

As long as USC keeps winning, they have a shot. An unbeaten USC, with what should be quality wins over Utah, UCLA, Notre Dame and whoever they would see in the CCG will get them in. A 1 loss USC would also still have a solid shot against a 1 loss conference champ from the Big 12, ACC and maybe even the B1G considering the hype they'd be getting.

Utah also still has a good shot. They barely lost on the road in one of cfb's more hostile stadiums and if not for a bad decision by the qb on the 2 at the end of the game, they likely win or at least force OT.

But, they have zero margin for error now. They need to win out and they need:

1. Florida to finish with 8-10 wins. That will change the narrative from Utah was overrated to Florida was underrated.
2. USC and UCLA to both finish with 8-10 wins, so those would be considered quality wins.
3. They need Oregon to get their shit together and get some respect back because there's a solid chance they're going to have to beat them twice. Once in the regular season and once in the CCG.

UCLA is also no joke. If they can run the table, they could get in. But they probably have the longest odds.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

It's a dumb, clickbait article written by a casual.

As long as USC keeps winning, they have a shot. An unbeaten USC, with what should be quality wins over Utah, UCLA, Notre Dame and whoever they would see in the CCG will get them in. A 1 loss USC would also still have a solid shot against a 1 loss conference champ from the Big 12, ACC and maybe even the B1G considering the hype they'd be getting.

Utah also still has a good shot. They barely lost on the road in one of cfb's more hostile stadiums and if not for a bad decision by the qb on the 2 at the end of the game, they likely win or at least force OT.

But, they have zero margin for error now. They need to win out and they need:

1. Florida to finish with 8-10 wins. That will change the narrative from Utah was overrated to Florida was underrated.
2. USC and UCLA to both finish with 8-10 wins, so those would be considered quality wins.
3. They need Oregon to get their shit together and get some respect back because there's a solid chance they're going to have to beat them twice. Once in the regular season and once in the CCG.

UCLA is also no joke. If they can run the table, they could get in. But they probably have the longest odds.
This.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did that work out last season vs the Trojans?
New era bro. Wait til you see the difference in how this team plays now that they have a professional coaching staff that won't accept the LA gang thug nonsense from its players.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I knew that since it was a team like Rice, USC could beat them if Helton was still the coach.

So, I was looking at other things, like the stupid drive killing penalties on offense and drive sustaining penalties by the defense. the only thing close to one of those that I remember was the targeting call on Romello Height and that was pretty questionable.

Even with the turnovers, I'm not convinced on the defense just yet as they were vulnerable to the run early in the game. They got better as the game went on, but that might have been because Rice had to start passing more because they were falling behind.

I'm anxious to see how the defense does next week against Stanford who will likely have a strong running game.
Agreed about the defense; you cannot count on turnovers all the time. but I noticed some real speed on the defense in this game; especially at linebacker. I understood the targeting because he lunged a little with the helmet; that is so hard not to do. Stanford will be a test because they are so well-coached and prepared but you can see that Riley really has a plan on offense. The QB he brought with him, Williams, looks really good.
Sorry that it caused Dart to leave and Slovis is now at Pitt.
But again, the biggest thing was the absence of the ridiculous personal foul calls. I think Riley laid down the law. The players finally have a coach they respect.