• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

USA TODAY TOP 25 9/29/2013

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland isn't ranked because of what they have coming up most likely.

Florida St, Clemson and VT.

If they win some of those games, they will get ranked. If they play them closely, they will get ranked as well. Thus far they haven't really played anyone. WVU is their best win and it was impressive, but WVU even beating OkSt isn't a quality win.

If they only lose those 3 games all year, they will likely end up top25. But until they play some tougher games, most people are probably unsure if they are for real.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland isn't ranked because of what they have coming up most likely.

Florida St, Clemson and VT.

If they win some of those games, they will get ranked. If they play them closely, they will get ranked as well. Thus far they haven't really played anyone. WVU is their best win and it was impressive, but WVU even beating OkSt isn't a quality win.

If they only lose those 3 games all year, they will likely end up top25. But until they play some tougher games, most people are probably unsure if they are for real.

Oklahoma State has not played anyone, has a loss, and games coming up against Baylor, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma and is ranked ahead of Maryland

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything except for Wisconsin. This early, I don't like the idea of a 2-loss team in there. However, they will be ranked by season's end and will likely finish in the top 15.

Yeah I mean at this point it really isn't very important where Wisconsin is ranked until the end of the year with an outside BCS shot, UW will want to be 14 at least. Still sucks seeing a top 25 without your team simply because you've played and lost some tough games early in the year.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson is in the driver's seat for that #2 spot

already beat Georgia, still have Florida State, South Carolina and possibly Miami in the ACC CG

Until you actually check what Oregon has remaining on the schedule.

And consider the pollsters in Coaches and Harris will not drop Oregon below CLemson should both continue to win.

UCLA, UW, Stanford, all highly ranked teams.

And 3 others receiving votes remain on the Ducks schedule.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State has not played anyone, has a loss, and games coming up against Baylor, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma and is ranked ahead of Maryland

:lol:

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we don't move up anymore in the polls until we beat a team from Oklahoma

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But they have higher expectations, and if they fail to meet those expectations they will drop out of the top25. Likewise, if Maryland exceeds their expectations they will rise into the top25.

:noidea:

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we don't move up anymore in the polls until we beat a team from Oklahoma

Holy shit...your schedule is a bit bottom loaded, eh?
Sat, Oct 26 @ #11 Oklahoma
Sat, Nov 2 vs #21 Oklahoma St
Sat, Nov 9 vs Kansas St
Sat, Nov 16 vs #17 Baylor* (Jerry's place?)
Thu, Nov 28 @Texas 7:30 PM ET

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But they have higher expectations, and if they fail to meet those expectations they will drop out of the top25. Likewise, if Maryland exceeds their expectations they will rise into the top25.

:noidea:

Oklahoma State has higher expectations after a loss to a team that Maryland beat? Shouldn't Maryland have higher expectations? :scratch:

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's exactly the point. Michigan dropped for winning. I have no problem with that, as long as others (i.e. team sec) gets the same treatment.

UCF was up 10-0 at half. S. Carolina only won by 3 points. Aggies only won by 12 and right now they look like they would let a junior high school team hang 30 on them. The only consistency here is that it is consistently swayed in favor of the sec.

A&M is forced to play underclassmen on defense cause we don't have many veterans and not much depth.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State has higher expectations after a loss to a team that Maryland beat? Shouldn't Maryland have higher expectations? :scratch:

Nope, that is where overall program placement comes in. Maryland can get to that point but they have to prove it. While OkSt has some juice from previous years, but still they will have to prove they still deserve it over the year as well.

And agree with it or disagree with, the majority of times they are right to do so.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, that is where overall program placement comes in. Maryland can get to that point but they have to prove it. While OkSt has some juice from previous years, but still they will have to prove they still deserve it over the year as well.

And agree with it or disagree with, the majority of times they are right to do so.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I'm questioning things because I don't study rankings.
1. Is that actually how it works?
2. Is that how it's suppose to work?
3. How does it work? Oklahoma State is essentially already getting credit for wins in games they haven't played in but they'll also get a bump in the poll again win they actually win them

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some AP Poll Voting Guidelines:
- Base your vote on performance, not reputation or preseason speculation
- Pay attention to head-to-head results
- Don't hesitate to make significant changes to your ballot from week to week.

occupant

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma State is essentially already getting credit for wins in games they haven't played in but they'll also get a bump in the poll again win they actually win them

They beat an eSECpn team.

Jus' sayin'...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I'm questioning things because I don't study rankings.
1. Is that actually how it works?
2. Is that how it's suppose to work?
3. How does it work? Oklahoma State is essentially already getting credit for wins in games they haven't played in but they'll also get a bump in the poll again win they actually win them

It's how it works IMO. And personally I think it should work that way. The saving grace is that it will keep changing when more games get played.

This weekend is a big game for Maryland. If they win, they will jump alot, but FSU will fall even more. But they will for sure start getting respect.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's how it works IMO. And personally I think it should work that way. The saving grace is that it will keep changing when more games get played.

This weekend is a big game for Maryland. If they win, they will jump alot, but FSU will fall even more. But they will for sure start getting respect.

I understand you think it works that way, and you think it should work that way but considering the guidelines for the AP poll it's not suppose to. I looked up the guidelines to see how voters are told to vote because I'm new to the information about the polls being predictive, and I found out it's suppose to be based on their actual performance.

IMO, ranking Oklahoma State ahead of Maryland kind of shows that the voters are giving credit to teams based on reputation and not basing it on performance like they are suppose to.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand you think it works that way, and you think it should work that way but considering the guidelines for the AP poll it's not suppose to. I looked up the guidelines to see how voters are told to vote because I'm new to the information about the polls being predictive, and I found out it's suppose to be based on their actual performance.

IMO, ranking Oklahoma State ahead of Maryland kind of shows that the voters are giving credit to teams based on reputation and not basing it on performance like they are suppose to.

FWIW, I have Oklahoma St ranked above Maryland at this point as well, and that is based solely on performance/stats.

I have Maryland @ #29, and OkSt @ #19.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, I have Oklahoma St ranked above Maryland at this point as well, and that is based solely on performance/stats.

Which ones?

Because you seem to be ignoring record, or at least record against reasonable opponents.

BamaFanAlways

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going strictly by record, all undefeated teams should be tied at #1. Therefore, a preseason poll, by nature, has to be predictive.
After one game, all undefeated teams would still be tied for #1, the rest tied for last. So, Georgia losing to Clemson the first weekend would put them in the lower half of the rankings. Strictly by win/loss, it's where they belong. But I think it's safe to say that they would beat more than half of the teams, even more than 3/4s, on a regular basis. What is my proof? Don't have any, except the one that Herbstreit dubiously named 'the eye test'. And as anyone who has ever worked with the public knows, the eye is very selective. It tends to see what it wants to see. If you are inclined to like defense, the dominating defensive teams 'look' better. If you like scoring like a pinball machine, the HUNH offenses automatically look just a little bit better to you.
No poll is without bias simply because all the teams haven't played each other. It is the bias of the majority that wins in ANY election.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your poll is predictive though, right? Like you're predicting how teams will finish the season, not basing things on their performance so far, right?

I've yet to see someone make an argument that at this point in the season, without looking ahead that Oklahoma State deserves to be ranked ahead of Maryland.