• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPDATED 1/10/2013 10:30PM: Offensive coaching staff for next year

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're really going for highly sought after folks, I wouldn't be shocked if it was in the 5-600K+ range

And I don't think there is any way a new OC would make more than Bud, so I figure he would get a raise

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea on interviews. That stuff is being kept pretty hush hush. One thing that I can say is the job appears to be extremely well regarded and we are getting some supposedly high end interest.

Others see VT a little different than some of our fans do. Sometimes it takes stepping back to really gain perspective on what you (as a program) rely have to offer. We aren't Bama, but we aren't Syracuse either.

This doesn't surprise me for two reasons. 1) We get good national exposure TV wise (we're on ESPN Thursday night every year, etc) so you can get your name out there more and 2) If you do well, you could have a shot at the HC job because its no secret that CFB won't be around too much longer.

hokieone

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thinking is that a good offensive coordinator knows how good Bud Foster has consistently been, plus knows how well Frank Beamer treats his staff. That stuff is not lost on these guys.

The candidate can pretty much come in knowing the defense has his back. That isn't true everywhere.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up, Hokies? CamFantasy asked me about the possibility of hiring Shawn Elliott (our co-OC, really OL coach/run coordinator) as OC the other night. There was an article up at a Gamecock pay site that said VaTech was targeting someone on our staff, and when I suggested what CF had told me, they denied it (got kind of snippy, too). So that makes me wonder if:

(1) They're wrong, as has been the case a couple of times recently with recruits that decommitted (despite assurances to the contrary that wouldn't happen).
(2) They're right, in which case I think the guy targeted might be our QB Coach Mangus.

Either way, I'll be checking back in - I know Shane B is familiar with both of these guys, and they're both excellent recruiters, so there would be concern.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea on interviews. That stuff is being kept pretty hush hush. One thing that I can say is the job appears to be extremely well regarded and we are getting some supposedly high end interest.

Others see VT a little different than some of our fans do. Sometimes it takes stepping back to really gain perspective on what you (as a program) rely have to offer. We aren't Bama, but we aren't Syracuse either.

This doesn't surprise me for two reasons. 1) We get good national exposure TV wise (we're on ESPN Thursday night every year, etc) so you can get your name out there more and 2) If you do well, you could have a shot at the HC job because its no secret that CFB won't be around too much longer.

The second half reads 'don't get your hopes to high' though.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My thinking is that a good offensive coordinator knows how good Bud Foster has consistently been, plus knows how well Frank Beamer treats his staff. That stuff is not lost on these guys.

The candidate can pretty much come in knowing the defense has his back. That isn't true everywhere.

Yeah it's a good situation for anybody. You can stink it up for 10 years but if the team is winning you will still have a job. If Beamer doesn't get a big name it's because he waited too long to look, had to go cheap because Weaver said so, or he made a bad choice. The VT OC position should be in huge demand

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The second half reads 'don't get your hopes to high' though.

You mis-read it then.

The bottom line is this program is in a position that 90-100 other programs would love to be in:

1. solid recruiting area
2. stable coaching staff that remains loyal
3. established defensive staff
4. two straight high end recruiting classes and a strong start to a third (did I mention that Xavier Burke was invited to the US Army All American combine).
5. fan support
6. a great place to live and raise kids

We sometimes get a bit spoiled and need to take a step back and look at how far this program has come and how it is viewed from the outside.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's up, Hokies? CamFantasy asked me about the possibility of hiring Shawn Elliott (our co-OC, really OL coach/run coordinator) as OC the other night. There was an article up at a Gamecock pay site that said VaTech was targeting someone on our staff, and when I suggested what CF had told me, they denied it (got kind of snippy, too). So that makes me wonder if:

(1) They're wrong, as has been the case a couple of times recently with recruits that decommitted (despite assurances to the contrary that wouldn't happen).
(2) They're right, in which case I think the guy targeted might be our QB Coach Mangus.

Either way, I'll be checking back in - I know Shane B is familiar with both of these guys, and they're both excellent recruiters, so there would be concern.

I have heard both names. Whoever it ends up being is not coming alone. I don't think it will be the USC guys though.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SE was rumored to be 1 of 2 that was high up on Beamer's list awhile back. I did correct myself later that night though. :D

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DoughtySports
Hearing #vtfootball staff changes could be in effect by Tuesday.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DoughtySports
Hearing #vtfootball staff changes could be in effect by Tuesday.

I'll go ahead and put the champagne on ice so its good and cold by then

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Really glad to see there's a chance Coach Sherman might stay. He's the one coach on this offensiive staff who's done his job.

Roberts and Davis were real disappointments this year. Maybe there are players that you just can't coach up to their potential I don't know. But I don't think he's a good recruiter. You don't hear about him being the lead recruiter on many commits, maybe 1 or 2 a year

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberts and Davis were real disappointments this year. Maybe there are players that you just can't coach up to their potential I don't know. But I don't think he's a good recruiter. You don't hear about him being the lead recruiter on many commits, maybe 1 or 2 a year

Neither were ever natural WRs. Good athletes do not always make good receivers.

Seems like we always get average athletes that are good receivers, or good athletes that are average receivers. Except for Eddie Royal of course. :thumb:

mrjhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberts I agree on. I wonder if he ever got completely over his injuries. But I was expecting a bigger year from him. Marcus Davis' blocking-gate was a big disappointment but he sure saved our asses in a couple of late games this season with some circus catches when we had to have them. What really impressed me about Kevin Sherman is we never seem to have highly recruited WR's and yet he produced 5 star results with guys like Coale and Boykin and then Corey Fuller kind of came out of nowhere this year. He just seems to keep coaching guys up. With only 2 returning WR's (one coming back from injury too) with any significant game experience we'll need whoever the coach is to continue doing that coaching up to develop any depth at the position, or it might be like 2008 all over again.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coale and Boykin were both pure receivers and lived up to it. I would argue that Josh Morgan and Justin harper were as well. Josh Hyman was sort of stuck behind those guys but he was a really good route runner and had great hands.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roberts I agree on. I wonder if he ever got completely over his injuries. But I was expecting a bigger year from him. Marcus Davis' blocking-gate was a big disappointment but he sure saved our asses in a couple of late games this season with some circus catches when we had to have them. What really impressed me about Kevin Sherman is we never seem to have highly recruited WR's and yet he produced 5 star results with guys like Coale and Boykin and then Corey Fuller kind of came out of nowhere this year. He just seems to keep coaching guys up. With only 2 returning WR's (one coming back from injury too) with any significant game experience we'll need whoever the coach is to continue doing that coaching up to develop any depth at the position, or it might be like 2008 all over again.

This is a really good point. I imagine he had to be a little but gun-shy with his history. As someone who almost lost his leg to an injury myself, I know that even 2 years later, I felt really gun-shy about getting hit there or blocking shots with that leg (hokey player).