• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPDATED 1/10/2013 10:30PM: Offensive coaching staff for next year

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The tackles played well and that is why we had some decent pass blocking. Wang was gawd awfule and losing centers all season killed us. Benedict was just average i felt. Wang is the softest puss I have ever seen on a football field. Our interior line had 0 push all year and that means 0 holes to run through when the DL can stand them up and play 2 gaps at once.

Ditto on Wang. This is at least 2 years in a row that the interior blocking has sucked. I also think Miller is average at best so I don't think his injury had much of an effect other than the bad snaps

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea pass blocking wasn't awful... but this OL couldn't open up holes for the running game if they were playing in the FCS. Beamer and Co. weren't wrong when they said after every loss that "execution" was the issue. But that failed execution falls back on the coaching.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea pass blocking wasn't awful... but this OL couldn't open up holes for the running game if they were playing in the FCS. Beamer and Co. weren't wrong when they said after every loss that "execution" was the issue. But that failed execution falls back on the coaching.

... and recruiting.

Other than Benedict, who was a transfer (and my opinion is still undetermined on him), we haven't had any hits or discoveries at OL in recruiting... in a long, long time.

Who was our last OL drafted? Duane Brown? Just guessing here. I think the recruiting sites are terrible at evaluating big men (which makes some sense), or we've done a terrible job improving the talent we've recruited...

4 Star Linemen (according to Rivals since 2008)
Mark Shuman
Laurence Gibson
Vinston Painter

That's it. And none of those guys are really world beaters.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
we've done a terrible job improving the talent we've recruited...

Mark Shuman
Laurence Gibson
Vinston Painter

To be successful on the OL you either have to be able to recruit elite guys or coach up the ones you can get, for the past __ years, VT has done neither.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and recruiting.

Other than Benedict, who was a transfer (and my opinion is still undetermined on him), we haven't had any hits or discoveries at OL in recruiting... in a long, long time.

Who was our last OL drafted? Duane Brown? Just guessing here. I think the recruiting sites are terrible at evaluating big men (which makes some sense), or we've done a terrible job improving the talent we've recruited...

Mark Shuman
Laurence Gibson
Vinston Painter

Ed Wang - 5th round to Buffalo in 2010 Draft

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Conte is going to be our next find on the OL tho. From what I have heard, he is the best they brought in from the last class and is impressing on the scout team. I know he has a good motor and isnt a scared puss. An off season and a good spring he could be seeing time next year. Other than that I have no idea what we will have come next year. It still doesnt solve our interior line problems at all.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've also heard that shuman and gibson have impressed

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also heard Acree was looking much better before his knee injury, but I don't want to put too much faith in that until I see it.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also heard Acree was looking much better before his knee injury, but I don't want to put too much faith in that until I see it.

I would be very (pleasantly) surprised if Acree makes it on the field in a starting role. Injury he had in his senior year of HS really set him back in football development. This latest injury made it worse. He has two years left, so there is hope that if he develops his technique maybe he'll make the field in his 5th year. Tearing two ACLs seems to be a death sentence for most athletes, though. I really hope I am wrong. If he's kept his strength up through the injury he has miles of potential.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know if this has been mentioned, Per AB at Roanoke.com

Football Scoop is reporting that it expects Scott Satterfield to be named the head coach at Appalachian State soon. Virginia Tech quarterbacks coach Mike O’Cain‘s name had been mentioned for that job, although it’s unclear how serious his candidacy was.

Report: Appalachian State to name Satterfield football coach | Fox News

So much for O'Cain "taking" another job somewhere else.

rockhead44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on what Beamer does with the staff, I think serious consideration needs to be made towards blowing up the empty national trophy case. It's pathetic for that thing to exist while year after year he gives the "thumbs up" to his offensive coaching staff. If he pulls a typical, lateral, fambly, buddy buddy, yes man, state of Virginia need only apply hire, then I think it needs to not only be removed but blown up as well

I have been irritated with that case from Day One. Frank is not going to do what it takes to fill the case. He's made that clear with his acceptance of poor offenses. I'm sure he would like to win a NC but he isn't consumed with it, which a coach in the ACC will have to be to stand a chance. We had our one shot and it was awesome. With our current status it's not going to happen again.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have been irritated with that case from Day One. Frank is not going to do what it takes to fill the case. He's made that clear with his acceptance of poor offenses. I'm sure he would like to win a NC but he isn't consumed with it, which a coach in the ACC will have to be to stand a chance. We had our one shot and it was awesome. With our current status it's not going to happen again.

Blown up in a ceremony at midfield at halftime of the first home game in 2013. Beamer himself must detonate it

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, a glass box is holding us back. We would win a lot more if we had all maroon everything as well.

:crazy:

Yeah because that was my point. I'm saying that there are huge inconsistencies between what Beamer does and what he says

757vt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think Beamer will make any changes unless one of the coaches retires or goes to another school. He's just not that type of coach...*sigh*... if there are any coaching changes, it will most likely be a position switch.