• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Upcoming Large Amount of Free Agents

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I think as well.

Teams can't get difference makers at all positions, they need lunch pale type guys playing THEIR roles. IF and I mean IF we get a solid rotation on the Dline that holds water and keeps olinemen OFF the LB's so they can run to the football then this run defense will be much improved. Neal is a player and after watching our LB's last year guess most of the time (many times wrong) on which hole to fill. Neal looks the perfect weakside run to the football guy with above average coverage skills to me. MY GOD, Quinn must be sick at what he saw on film of our two LB's last year.

Corner at 10 should be a top player available AND desperately needed
I agree. If you look back at Zimmers defenses we always had smaller linebackers and did just fine stopping the run. The film shows Jaylon guessing and honestly getting outsmarted by opposing offenses. Same thing over and over. Jaylon is just not the guy without that speed he once had.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. If you look back at Zimmers defenses we always had smaller linebackers and did just fine stopping the run. The film shows Jaylon guessing and honestly getting outsmarted by opposing offenses. Same thing over and over. Jaylon is just not the guy without that speed he once had.
Yes Sir....keep the oline off the backers seems exactly the intent for our new DC. Lavonte David came in to this league weighing 220 (now only 233) and he's been a flat out baller.

Jaylon still has front line speed but his problem is when he has to plant his leg and chance direction. This has caused him to guess and he's not very good at that based on the last couple of seasons. I think Quinn see's his only real value is blitzing, and I expect this coming season will be his last in Dallas. Instinctive LB'ers have value. Jaylon nor LVE showed that have this trait last season. I'm sure Quinn knows Neal is an instinctive football player and values that at the LB position

Last edited:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giving Neal $5M to play a position he doesn't play is just not smart. I don't see anyway around that. Would any team without Jerry as a GM do that? Could it work out? Of course it could, but the point is whether it is worth the risk/reward. I've also yet to see him at more than 216lbs. But, I haven't seen the details so it may be at least half incentive based (I've read $3M guaranteed) which would make a lot more sense. At that price he could be a backup, STer or really play anywhere if it doesn't work out. I still think the idea if @LB is in the nickel in the middle of the field because our 3 LBs last year were all a complete disaster attempting to play that spot. You take a shit run defense and run out a 216 lbs LB who isn't really a LB and you just aren't even pretending that stopping the run is important.

I agree with you on Hooker. Not as sold on Kazee from what I saw of him, but would happily take over what we have if that is what happens.
Quinn knows what he is doing and knows the player. I think he will do great

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinn knows what he is doing and knows the player. I think he will do great
I don't have an issue with bringing in Neal. I have an issue in giving him $5M to play a position he doesn't play and that he is likely too small for. Until I hear the team say otherwise, I expect the plan is that he is going to start or at least be in the mix to start/rotate in at SS. That is what he is good at. Then (I know I said this a bunch of times already) in the nickel/dime he will play that hybrid LB, middle of the field spot that our 3 LBs were putrid at last year. A lot of teams do this so it is nothing unusual and we should have been doing for two years now. I don't expect he plays WLB in the base defense.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have an issue with bringing in Neal. I have an issue in giving him $5M to play a position he doesn't play and that he is likely too small for. Until I hear the team say otherwise, I expect the plan is that he is going to start or at least be in the mix to start/rotate in at SS. That is what he is good at. Then (I know I said this a bunch of times already) in the nickel/dime he will play that hybrid LB, middle of the field spot that our 3 LBs were putrid at last year. A lot of teams do this so it is nothing unusual and we should have been doing for two years now. I don't expect he plays WLB in the base defense.
Have they decide what his role will be? All I’ve heard is they signed a safety

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinn is having an impact.

The Cowboys continue to add to the defense as the second week of free agency begins, agreeing to terms with former Lions starting safety Jayron Kearse.
Kearse had a scheduled visit with the Cowboys on Wednesday, as did free agent safeties Damontae Kazee and Malik Hooker. It's a reported one-year deal for Kearse.
A seventh-round pick out of Clemson in 2016, Kearse spent his first four seasons as a backup with the Vikings before starting seven games with Detroit last year. The Lions waived Kearse in December, and he signed to the Ravens' practice squad before the playoffs.
The Cowboys also reached a deal with former Falcons safety Keanu Neal over the weekend, though Neal might play more linebacker than safety in defensive coordinator Dan Quinn's scheme.
It's unclear at this point if the Cowboys will reach a deal with Kazee and/or Hooker. But Kearse adds depth at safety, as well as a boost on special teams. He was a special teams captain for the Vikings and has been a core contributor on coverage units throughout his career.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just signed another former peice of the Falcon 2ndary.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the Falcon 2ndary been one of the worst past few years. Not very excited to see Quinn and the gang get back together but hopefully I'm wrong and our 2ndary takes a big step forward this season.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the Falcon 2ndary been one of the worst past few years. Not very excited to see Quinn and the gang get back together but hopefully I'm wrong and our 2ndary takes a big step forward this season.
Atlanta only had 29 sacks in 16 games. That doesn't give the secondary much of a chance IMO. Kazee had 7 picks a couple of years back, which is more than our entire secondary had last season. I think it's a nice signing

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. Something to be happy with IMO because he is a centerfielder type and we need that badly, but a one year deal for probably not a lot of money seems about his skill set coming off an Achilles. I think he makes the team better even if incrementally because even if we go from a bottom 3 safety tandem to a bottom 12-15 safety tandem it's a huge improvement. But, bringing in marginal guys from a shitty D is what it is and seems to be our MO.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta only had 29 sacks in 16 games. That doesn't give the secondary much of a chance IMO. Kazee had 7 picks a couple of years back, which is more than our entire secondary had last season. I think it's a nice signing
The lack of a pass rush was a major part of the problem for the Falcons. Wasnt because Neal and Kazee were bad players. Both were solid pickups. I will be honest and say the addition of these two does not transform the defense. You add Surtain and even Horn then the secondary will be better. I have been torn between Surtain and Horn. I do think Surtain maybe fits Quinns scheme better than Horn. Surtain seems to understand what offenses are trying to do. He obviously is in to watching film. You can tell by the way he mirrors receivers. He is NFL ready!! At this moment I am leaning towards Surtain. Tough call.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thought of a Diggs/Surtain duo is desirable for me.