• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Twinkies @ M's, 5/27-5/29

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's cute you think it's all about just you and not the one who says they can't normally read or post up here because it's too negative or the other one that accused everyone of jumping off the wagon after that Angels sweep. I guess you missed the part where I said SOME OF YOU and not just YOU. :noidea:

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's cute you think it's all about just you and not the one who says they can't normally read or post up here because it's too negative or the other one that accused everyone of jumping off the wagon after that Angels sweep. I guess you missed the part where I said SOME OF YOU and not just YOU. :noidea:

C'mon man, just chill. I originally said SOME, and you jumped all over me saying I was talking about you, now you are DOING the exact same thing. Weird.

Chill, some posters here, NOT you, are ultra negative, and I get tired of it. Hell, I watched a Pilots game in Sicks Stadium then watched them move to Milwaukee. I've watched my share of painful baseball, and I get tired of the whining when we actually have something good, or at least promising.

Enjoy your summer, I know I will.:suds:Peace.

What exactly did I post that pissed you off?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of prisoners of the moment around here, but I'm not coming off the rails just yet. It's baseball, after all, and it really doesn't take a whole lot for a bad team to beat a good team. Terrible and disappointing weekend for sure, but I'm not letting these 3 games overshadow all the other positives that have happened the first 2 months of the season. Nor am I going to place undue value on this one series and allow it to make me think the season is lost.

Martin and Marte being out definitely hurts both defense and offense, so we survive these next handful of games and we may be in better shape once they return.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad teams can beat good teams, but mediocre teams can get off to a bit of a hot start before falling back to earth too.

M's might only be a half game back, but they are 10-14 at home. That's not a small sample size. That's a glaring sign of a major flaw. They are still living and dying off the long ball. Sure, they have added a bit more speed and have on occasion played small ball more than they have in recent years, but that's not how they are winning most of the time when they do win. You play 81 games in the Safe and nearly half of those are impacted by the marine layer and make it so long ball hitters struggle a bit more. Maybe when the weather heats up their play at home improves, but history hasn't shown that to happen nearly to the extent they need it to in recent years.

Plenty of reason to be up compared to where we have been as fans over the last decade plus. I remember many times last year just wishing the last 3 in the lineup were only at the mendoza line. Not even asking for 240+ hitters back there, just reach 210 ffs. Most of the year they had troubles putting anyone in the back half that was above 180. You can't win with that. They have improved this year. The bullpen has been playing way over its head as well. A very much unexpected bonus to this point.

If any of you haven't found yourselves thinking that being 8-9 games over .500 at least makes it so when the inevitable 5-8 game losing streak happens you aren't falling 10 games below .500 then you are much less impacted by their history over the last 15 years than the rest of us.

Until they finish rebuilding this team to play a style that is designed to win consistently at Safeco all year long I just don't see them being a serious threat in post season play. Dipoto did a lot in this off season and a lot of is has improved things so he gets a few more years in my book to get us there. The farm system will take time to rebuild and everyone goes after the kinds of players we desperately need. He won't be able to entirely build his vision in just one or two off seasons. When they can start manufacturing runs on a consistent basis and play well in spring time in Seattle having this record early will have more meaning.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, seems like we get beat by the long ball quite often at Safeco... How many HR's did the Twins hit against us this series?

Mariners are 9th in the ML's in hitting HR's at home with (32)... They are 8th in the ML's in allowing HR's at home with (32)...

Point is, HR's are being hit at Safeco, even by the opposing team...

But I agree that, something I've been saying for a while, we can't rely on the long ball to score our runs, which is a big reason we lost this series... We simply don't manufacture our runs like we need to... We're 21st in the ML's at hitting w/ RISP...

Our SP's have taken a step back... Felix, TWalk will have to pitcher up to expectations if we're going to stay in the race... Can't rely on Miley, Karns and Iwa to carry us...

We definitely still have a shot but there are also a few glaring weaknesses were seeing on this team that need to get fixed if we're going to be a serious contender imo...

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, seems like we get beat by the long ball quite often at Safeco... How many HR's did the Twins hit against us this series?

Mariners are 9th in the ML's in hitting HR's at home with (32)... They are 8th in the ML's in allowing HR's at home with (32)...

Point is, HR's are being hit at Safeco, even by the opposing team...

But I agree that, something I've been saying for a while, we can't rely on the long ball to score our runs, which is a big reason we lost this series... We simply don't manufacture our runs like we need to... We're 21st in the ML's at hitting w/ RISP...

Our SP's have taken a step back... Felix, TWalk will have to pitcher up to expectations if we're going to stay in the race... Can't rely on Miley, Karns and Iwa to carry us...

We definitely still have a shot but there are also a few glaring weaknesses were seeing on this team that need to get fixed if we're going to be a serious contender imo...

RISP is a massive key. It's a main reason the Twins overachieved last year and are god awful this year. Huge difference in that.

On bright side for you guys, we swept you and are still 13 games behind you all lol

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's are tearing it up today with 2 hits against a pitcher that had a 5 era coming into today's matchup...

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one put a game thread up and I'm lazy. But fuck you Mariners, just fuck you putting me through a roller coaster of emotions...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,747.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome home, Brandon Maurer...

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, that baserunning on Saturday. Looked like little leaguers still learning the basics on the base paths. Blah. Good win yesterday against the Pads, though.