• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Traveling to Kauffman Stadium to play the Royals

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to be a contrarian here. But really and truly there's two ways to look at that stat. One is the obvious one, of "holy smokes this guy was/is terrific." Why wouldn't you want him? Two is, there's only so many throws in any arm, regardless of age, and he's throw a ton of pitches/innings and his first break down could be his last break down.

I thought of that myself as I typed. But he does not seem frail to the point of how I felt about Cliff Lee. But that is definitely something to think about. Like I said I was just playing devil's advocate.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading where Lynsi Snyder who is the sole heir of In-And-Out Burger fortune lives in Adrian Beltre's house from when he was with the Dodgers. In 2 years when she is 35 she get almost all of the company's stock. A 16,600 sq foot mansion.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you all hear that in Kangaroo Court that Prince Fielder wears a robe and a wig so DeShields calls him Uncle Phil for the character from Fresh Prince of Bel-air. I could just see Prince dressed up like that. Good chemistry with that clubhouse.

Yeah, and that's pretty amusing to me.

But I'm more than ready for Elvis to stop being such a good clubhouse guy, and start keeping his focus.

And I take it back, maybe I am trying to be a contrarian. :pound:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else get kinda nervous seeing Darvish in the post-game scrum?

Didn't see what you're referring too here. But if Darvish is out there putting himself in "potentially at least" harms way, then what-on-earth-is-management THINKING?

That's falls into the Elvis school of thought IMO.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see what you're referring too here. But if Darvish is out there putting himself in "potentially at least" harms way, then what-on-earth-is-management THINKING?

That's falls into the Elvis school of thought IMO.

11333700_441673159339559_1792429009_n.jpg

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's on the outside looking in, so-to-speak. But to answer your initial question, "YES" it makes me somewhat uncomfortable to even think about him being out there.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Elvis loses focus easily. Some plays he makes are brilliant while others in the field, on base and at bat he's out in space. I wonder if he's got ADD?

The post game PowerAde bath or shaving cream pies were cute the first 10 or so. Not any more. He's 26. He needs to grow up.

Unfortunately -- I don't see that in the cards. Not his personality.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elvis loses focus easily. Some plays he makes are brilliant while others in the field, on base and at bat he's out in space. I wonder if he's got ADD?

The post game PowerAde bath or shaving cream pies were cute the first 10 or so. Not any more. He's 26. He needs to grow up.

Unfortunately -- I don't see that in the cards. Not his personality.
You're right on here. It's time for him to figure it out for himself and if he can't he needs someone to do it for him. To old to act like a kid. He is paid as a professional and should act the same.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where? I'm not seeing it on Twitter or the DMN.

this was reported on MLB Trade Rumors today: As Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News discussed with host Jeff Todd on yesterday’s MLBTR podcast, the Rangers are likely to be tempted mostly by high-quality arms at the deadline. Corey Seidman of CSNPhilly.com opines that Texas may be the Phillies‘ best match in terms of prospects. Seidman speculates that a package centering around Jorge Alfaro and Nomar Mazara — two names previously said by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman to be of interest to Philadelphia — makes sense for Cole Hamels, as the Phillies are “desperate” to add a young catcher and would like an outfielder with some pop. Seidman wonders if including a rejuvenated Aaron Harang or paying a chunk of Jonathan Papelbon‘s contract and including him, too, would entice the Rangers. Of course, all of this boils own to speculation at this juncture, but the Rangers do seem to be a fit given their somewhat unexpectedly strong start. Texas is 28-26 after a win last night, but their ranks 19th in ERA (4.24), 24th in FIP (4.36) and 28th in xFIP (4.51).

it started out with EG and then Seidman

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very valid observation and question.

The key for me is.....Philly as talked about paying for part of his salary......Which part are we talking about? Like the really BIG part, or the not so much part?

And I must say, since catching is so hard to find today, trading a young catcher is pretty risky business.

i wouldn't do this deal but if they got Alfaro & Mazara it would have to be a big chunk of his salary

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this was reported on MLB Trade Rumors today: As Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News discussed with host Jeff Todd on yesterday’s MLBTR podcast, the Rangers are likely to be tempted mostly by high-quality arms at the deadline. Corey Seidman of CSNPhilly.com opines that Texas may be the Phillies‘ best match in terms of prospects. Seidman speculates that a package centering around Jorge Alfaro and Nomar Mazara — two names previously said by CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman to be of interest to Philadelphia — makes sense for Cole Hamels, as the Phillies are “desperate” to add a young catcher and would like an outfielder with some pop. Seidman wonders if including a rejuvenated Aaron Harang or paying a chunk of Jonathan Papelbon‘s contract and including him, too, would entice the Rangers. Of course, all of this boils own to speculation at this juncture, but the Rangers do seem to be a fit given their somewhat unexpectedly strong start. Texas is 28-26 after a win last night, but their ranks 19th in ERA (4.24), 24th in FIP (4.36) and 28th in xFIP (4.51).

it started out with EG and then Seidman

From this description, it sure doesn't sound like EG brought up Alfaro + Mazara for Hamels... the Philly guy did. Haven't listened to the podcast though.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mentioned this before but I remember when there was talk of sending Rusty Greer to NY for Andy Petitte and Jorge Posada and Ranger fans went ballistic. Now Petitte was young and Posada was just coming up and I thought he is just an OFer. So I thought they should make the trade. Now I am not saying they should trade for Hamels but it is something to think about since Philly as talked about paying for part of his salary. Alfaro seems to be trending down right now and is league average at throwing out baserunners.

One thing many of us have mentioned in the past is a prospect is just that, a prospect. You are not sure what you will end up with. Hamels is a proven commodity. And we do not really know when and if Harrison, Holland, Darvish and Perez will be back.

Just playing devil's advocate here.
As we have found out way too often around here you never know what you are getting with a pitcher. Too many arm injuries to pay that much of a price for one to me. Hamels is a proven commodity right at the present, but when will his arm give out ala Cliff Lee or even temporarily give out like Yu, Martin, and Derek.

Why do you say Alfaro is trending down?

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has his good and bad moments. I am glad he is around so there someone in the Dallas area willing to talk about the Rangers.
His ability to give us information about the team is good, but when it comes to his baseball opinions or possible trade scenarios he is often lost.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DDJ - Choo - Prince - Big Mitch - Joey G - Elvis - Martin - Chirinos - Alberto is your lineup tonight behind Chi Chi.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we have found out way too often around here you never know what you are getting with a pitcher. Too many arm injuries to pay that much of a price for one to me. Hamels is a proven commodity right at the present, but when will his arm give out ala Cliff Lee or even temporarily give out like Yu, Martin, and Derek.

Why do you say Alfaro is trending down?

if that is true why keep any of them?