• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: tRangers travel to LaLa land. Hopefully bullpen doesn't suck: 4/7-4/10

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too, but it would be earlier than they showed up last year.

True but I was hoping to have a much better start to the season than last year. That was real ugly. Hard for a team to make a run 2 years in a row, after a terrible start, like the Rangers did last year. Though I guess if anyone could, why not Texas? Still lots of April left, as well

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but I was hoping to have a much better start to the season than last year. That was real ugly. Hard for a team to make a run 2 years in a row, after a terrible start, like the Rangers did last year. Though I guess if anyone could, why not Texas? Still lots of April left, as well
Yeah, I don't ever want to have to count on what we had to do last year again. That kind of comeback doesn't happen very often.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoemaker is 4-0 with a 2.39 ERA in four career starts against the Rangers. That's tied with Collin McHugh of the Astros for the second most wins against the Rangers without a loss by an active pitcher. Wei-Yin Chen, now with the Marlins, is 5-0 against the Rangers.

Rangers manager Jeff Banister said backup catcher Bryan Holaday will get at least one game in Anaheim, but has yet to identify which one.--T R Sullivan

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre told reporters, including Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, that he is still waiting on a contract proposal from the Rangers following yesterday’s loss to the Angels. Grant writes that the Rangers’ hesitation, unsurprisingly, is likely due to Beltre’s age. The three-year deal he seeks would cost Texas something in the vicinity of $60MM, and the Rangers must weigh whether that type of investment in Beltre’s age-38 through age-40 seasons is a better course of action than trusting a high-upside but unproven prospect, Joey Gallo, to man the position while making scarcely more than $1.5MM (total) in his pre-arbitration seasons over that same time frame.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Rangers third baseman Adrian Beltre told reporters, including Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, that he is still waiting on a contract proposal from the Rangers following yesterday’s loss to the Angels. Grant writes that the Rangers’ hesitation, unsurprisingly, is likely due to Beltre’s age. The three-year deal he seeks would cost Texas something in the vicinity of $60MM, and the Rangers must weigh whether that type of investment in Beltre’s age-38 through age-40 seasons is a better course of action than trusting a high-upside but unproven prospect, Joey Gallo, to man the position while making scarcely more than $1.5MM (total) in his pre-arbitration seasons over that same time frame.

I wonder if the team made a 2 year, $40 mil, plus a $10 mil player option if he'd do this. And would we be overpaying? Would we be better off to holding off until around the AS break and see how everyone is performing?

If we let MM walk, which seems to be the prevailing school of thought today, and don't resign Beltre, then EA is our clubhouse leader isn't he? Him and perhaps Prince.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the team made a 2 year, $40 mil, plus a $10 mil player option if he'd do this. And would we be overpaying? Would we be better off to holding off until around the AS break and see how everyone is performing?

If we let MM walk, which seems to be the prevailing school of thought today, and don't resign Beltre, then EA is our clubhouse leader isn't he? Him and perhaps Prince.

So many possibilities as to what could happen, Profar at 3rd, Gallo, Rua etc. No one really proven and the thought makes me a little nervous. Don't know at what price, but I think they keep him around somehow. He's almost invaluable for many reasons, though the current price tag is pretty high

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think that would be too much.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor Rua to AAA today

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor Rua to AAA today
Yeah, I got a tweet from Jared Sandler telling me that I would probably get my wish today about him being sent down. That would be good for him and the team. Maybe that was the plan all along. At some point I hope they can go with one more guy on the bench though. A three man bench is stretching it a bit thin. Maybe they won't bring Ryan back up until someone goes on the DL.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Gallo takes Beltre's place at 3rd that will be a considerable decline in defense. I know at Beltre's age he has declined some but not to the level Gallo will be at his young age.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gallo takes Beltre's place at 3rd that will be a considerable decline in defense. I know at Beltre's age he has declined some but not to the level Gallo will be at his young age.

that is some of the reason for my concern in replacing Beltre after this year

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that is some of the reason for my concern in replacing Beltre after this year

I'm still thinking Profar may be moved to 3rd, if health/performance proves solid.

We've got a lot of moving, and/or movable players at this point. Gallo to 1st, EA is traded and Profar goes to SS, etc

But it's way too early to be considering anything right now IMO. Just let some games get under our collective belts and then make some decisions.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A)Is Moreland a leader in the clubhouse?
B)Definitely Andrus and Fielder. With Odor waiting in the wings. Choo might have a voice too.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone really think any team would give Beltre his current asking price though? In the end, I can see something getting done here, it is just not going to happen until after he tests the FA market.

Although, now that I look at it, FA market for 3B is pretty thin in 2017:

upload_2016-4-8_15-25-32.png

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone really think any team would give Beltre his current asking price though? In the end, I can see something getting done here, it is just not going to happen until after he tests the FA market.

Although, now that I look at it, FA market for 3B is pretty thin in 2017:

View attachment 105418
When he tests the free agent market he will almost certainly find an offer from some team that is willing to overpay for him. I think he will get 3 years for around $60 million.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howdy Guys!

hopefully Beltre can understand the Rangers hesitation. Understandably the power is falling off but I thought other aspects to his game did as well last season. Nice start in the field, but he needs to hit for average early if he wants a 20M per contract proposal going forward from Texas.

Thing is....when this teams hitters slump, it tends to be a group effort. Nobody came out on fire....hopefully that changes in a hurry.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is can Gallo hit well enough to make up for the decline in defense?

Actually a better question might be will Profar and Gallo give you more than a Moreland/Beltre combo because Profar might be the one at 3B for 2017.

With Profar, Gallo, Mazara, Brinson, and Rua there are a whole bunch of different directions they could go with this. Like I mentioned a few days back they might be willing to overpay for Beltre if they can find someone to take the Choo or Fielder contract off of their hands. It is a fascinating topic with all of the possibilities that are before us.

Also, like someone else mentioned, whatever they do they need to find a way to lock up Darvish and if that means saving some money somewhere else then so be it.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely on offense as well at least for a while