• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp following

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Jayfan for all the links.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1990 donruss was my favorite year i think, rated rookie cards! Does topps still put the trophy on their cards? Dont think ive bought any since 96.

Loved the 84 topps....with the team name down the side...

Sometimes i buy an old pack of cards at the hobby store.....and they warn you, dont eat the gum.....25 yr old hard gum....you think it was hard back then.

rd27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kickalicious has recieved the boot. I wish him well.

uofmarmyguy

Meat Popsicle
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me dumb but this is where the end is near for me for this whole regime. They are seriuosly looking at this year only and not at all into the future. They hold Akers for 1 to 2 years max instead of chance a missed kick or 2 this year and hold Rugland for years to come. There just seems to be penny anney piss-ass decisione made daily that shows fear and desperation. Ajd I say this as a guy who has supported these 2 the last 3 years wholeheartedly. Its the little things that are pissing me off lately!

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine with keeping Akers, I do think it was promising that Raglund initially was brought in because he kicked with the same leg as Akers, and then he made a battle of it.

Since we did cut Raglund I am hoping we draft a kicker next year though. It is time for the next Jason Hanson!

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Akers hit a 63 yarder in practice. Still some leg left in the old man.

I think he sticks around for a few years if he stays consistent.

Kickalicous was a good story but it's hard to put an untested guy out there.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to like akers, but i cant say i trust him anymore than GB trusts crosby.....does help kicking in a dome tho

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna be weird to boo a Lions kicker. I've never done it before. But that'll be changing here soon. (UAG, I'm afraid you're all too right with your assessment)

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure hope Kickalicious doesn't catch on somewhere else. Would hate having a 65 or 66 yard field goal beat us on the last play of the game at the hands of his feet.

Maybe Akers dicks up early and we somehow bring Rugland back in.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Cook v. Pettigrew debate

All in good fun, RobBase, but let's take a look back.

RobBase: Pettigrew is WAY better than the overrated, under performing Jared Cook.
jayfan: Jared Cook >>> Brandon Pettigrew. Forget about the stats. Just watch them play.

Cook is a weapon. Pettigrew is a liability.
RobBase: This is why we need an smiley of someone shooting heroin directly into their own eye ball.
RobBase: Remember when posters were referencing links trying to convince me the Lions weren't going to draft Ansah because media moneky # 472542035723 said so? You gotta bring it harder than that. I don't give a shit what peter king says. What does Jayfan think?
My friend, like I said before - Pettigrew is a liability, and Cook is a weapon.

Lets take week 1, for instance:

PETTIGREW: 2 catches on 4 attempts for 6 yards, with 2 drops, a drop and a strip, or 2 strips. Take your pick.

COOK: 7 catches. 142 yards. 2 TD's

Good thing we have the better player. He's an average blocker, after all, and those are hard to come by. Where is that heroin shooting smiley face, anyway? :suds:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still with Swarm. Peter King can suck some eggs, don't much give a fuck what he says.

The point is still that Pettigrew and Cook play two different spots within the TE umbrella. Cook is a slot/move/joker type. He's a big receiver who can block in space. Pettigrew is an in-line TE- basically an extra offensive lineman who can run routes and catch the ball.

The one place where people have a legit beef with Pettigrew is the fumbles. There's no excuse to let the ball hit the turf, especially when you're a dude his size. That's gotta improve, but, imo, it's also not something you cut him for. He's been far too productive thus far in his career to just cut bait now because of a few fumbles. Especially since we don't have a replacement for him on the roster.

I understand the frustration though...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For what it's worth I'd love to have Cook on the roster. He'd be a major upgrade over Scheffler, and the perfect compliment to Pettigrew.

Just gotta remember that one is an apple, while the other is an orange...

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just gotta remember that one is an apple, while the other is an orange...

The more and more I get to watch Pettigrew, I'm thinking he is more of a lemon. I'm not sure one player on the team is more frustrating for me to watch than Pettigrew. The guy has 5 fumbles and 12 dropped passes in his last 16 games.

Instead of progressing -- he seems to be regressing. As you said though -- without a better option on the roster, there is nothing the Lions can do with him right now.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree with TPaulus on the players being two different types of TE's. Jared Cook is a physical freak -- 6'5" 255 lbs and was actually clocked in a sub 4.4 in college and ran a 4.49 at the combine, to go along with a 39.5" vertical.

Put Cook in the Lions offense and he'd put up monster numbers. Unfortunately for Cook -- his QBs have been pathetic thus far in the NFL, so he hasn't put up anything special. In STL, even though Bradford isn't an elite QB -- he is light years better than what Cook had in Tennessee. I think you will see Cook put up top 5 numbers for TE's this year, as he is arguably the best weapon on STL right now (though that could change if Tavon Austin turns into the player people think he can be).

Personally -- if you are going to spend a 1st round pick on a TE -- I would have much rather seen a player with Cook's ability to spread the field, than Pettigrew, who has shown he is basically a dump off TE.

Obviously Pettigrew is the better blocker, but teams most definitely don't have to spend a 1st round pick on a TE who can block.

I honestly don't think we will see Pettigrew on the Lions going forward -- I think they will try to find a TE who is a mismatch on defenses with their size and speed. Pettigrew has the size, but lacks in the speed department.

As it stands though -- we have to play with the hand we are dealt and right now, Pettigrew is the best option we have at TE, so hopefully he can overcome the fumble issue and put up a good year for us.