• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp '12

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I actually like Slowey a little more than Kilgore. There's just something about him I can't really describe very well that makes me like him.

I'm not saying he's a future all-pro', but I like the guy.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Slowey a little more than Kilgore. There's just something about him I can't really describe very well that makes me like him.

Is it the fact that he dominated a lot of guys in that lower division he played in? I like him as well, but i think it's going to take at least a year or 2 before he has a chance to make the roster.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Granted, I understand he's a 7th round pick, & it's a long shot that any 7th rounder to make much of a difference. I also liked Cody Pickett for a 7th rounder, and we all know how that turned out.

...Cody Picket first ballot HOFer 20??!!!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Branch:

49ers rookie Joe Looney will play right guard when he returns from non-football injury list, he said.

49ers rookie LB Cam Johnson (knee surgery last month) indicated he wasn't 100 percent recovered. Has been practicing this week.

49ers rookie Jason Slowey has been working at center and guard. He'd never player center before he was drafted.

A weight-room legend at Western Oregon, #49ers rookie Jason Slowey on the jump from the Great Northwest Athletic Conference to the NFL: "In Division II, I'm a pretty strong guy, but I'm no Justin Smith or Ray McDonald, I'll tell you that right now."

I'm not that knowledgeable about late draft picks, so I always thought you were calling Looney "Slowey" because of his speed. So now I have this perception that Looney's slow. :doh: I saw Pozz's quote and it dawned on me. Did you know we drafted this Kaepernick guy last year?

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Granted, I understand he's a 7th round pick, & it's a long shot that any 7th rounder to make much of a difference. I also liked Cody Pickett for a 7th rounder, and we all know how that turned out.

...Cody Picket first ballot HOFer 20??!!!

you're forgetting Jesse Sapolu was a very low draft pick as well and started at both guard and center

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
you're forgetting Jesse Sapolu was a very low draft pick as well and started at both guard and center

Oh I never forgot that. He was an 11th round pick, and he might've been the best O-lineman the Niners ever had (with the exception of Larry Allen for a brief time). But 7th rounders & UDFAs becoming starters are usually the exception to the rule.

I'm sure Sapolu's one of Deep's all time favourite Niners.

I would love it if Slowey became the next Sapolu.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh I never forgot that. He was an 11th round pick, and he might've been the best O-lineman the Niners ever had (with the exception of Larry Allen for a brief time). But 7th rounders & UDFAs becoming starters are usually the exception to the rule.

I'm sure Sapolu's one of Deep's all time favourite Niners.

I would love it if Slowey became the next Sapolu.

no doubt!

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Its sad when I have to resort to watching the CFL on the internet. Its a shame our forefathers didnt come up with a better summer "pasttime" than baseball.

Spoken like a person that can't hit, or field, or throw!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I used to love baseball when I was a kid, but the people running MLB turned the sport into a dirty whore. Billy Beane may have coined the term Moneyball, but I think 'Roidball is more accurate.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And training camp begins!
Any bold predictions?
I have a feeling Culliver will take over Brown's starting position.
also think Konrad Rueland makes the team.
And last, Crabtree plays an exhibition game!

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davis wants to start
10:42AM ET
Leonard Davis | Lions

Apparently not quite pleased with how their roster was shaping up on the interior offensive line, the San Francisco 49ers elected to sign veteran OG Leonard Davis on Thursday. The 375-pounder was an NFL starter from 2001 through 2010, but didn't get on the field at all for the Detroit Lions after signing there in 2011.

"I definitely want to compete," Davis declared after joining the team, per the San Francisco Chronicle. "If I didn't want to compete, I wouldn't be here. I would just hang it up and retire."

He also indicates that he likes the way the Niners run their offense. "They like to run the ball a lot and that fits my style," Davis noted. "That's better for me. Obviously, you've got to be able to be good in all aspects of the game."

The current starter at RG for San Francisco is Alex Boone, and at the very least, Davis provides some insurance at that spot. ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando has more:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
Some depth was needed

"The other candidate for the job, Daniel Kilgore, also lacks experience. And with rookie Joe Looney recovering from serious foot surgery, the team could use other contingencies at guard. Looney, a fourth-round draft choice this year, suffered a Lisfranc fracture during Senior Bowl week. It's unclear when he'll be ready to contribute."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And training camp begins!
Any bold predictions?
I have a feeling Culliver will take over Brown's starting position.
also think Konrad Rueland makes the team.
And last, Crabtree plays an exhibition game!

I think Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Bowman, and Alex Smith win the competition to start. :)