• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp '12

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seriously, he didn't look that great the other night. About 5.0 ypc against 2nd stringers changed Barrows' mind?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, he didn't look that great the other night. About 5.0 ypc against 2nd stringers changed Barrows' mind?

Or as I view it - he had 12 carries of 2.7 YPC, and 1 carry at 26 yards - against 2's & 3's. And, I don't recall his name being called at all on ST's either. So if he stays, all things considered, it will be a true WTF moment.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Or as I view it - he had 12 carries of 2.7 YPC, and 1 carry at 26 yards - against 2's & 3's. And, I don't recall his name being called at all on ST's either. So if he stays, all things considered, it will be a true WTF moment.

I saw somewhere that Dixon was credited for his STs play and versatility. I believe it came from Harbaugh. That will be one I won't fully understand, at least initially, but obviously I have not seen everything they have and we have a difference of opinion on his personality and the willingness to deal with him sometimes.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw somewhere that Dixon was credited for his STs play and versatility. I believe it came from Harbaugh. That will be one I won't fully understand, at least initially, but obviously I have not seen everything they have and we have a difference of opinion on his personality and the willingness to deal with him sometimes.

Yeah, his being kept (if indeed he is kept) has to be about what we don't see. Even with that, it seems two from our RB/FB depth will likely be gone and Dixon & Cartwright just make more sense than any other two.

I certainly think our strongest backfield would be Gore, Hunter, James, Miller, & Jacobs.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, his being kept (if indeed he is kept) has to be about what we don't see. Even with that, it seems two from our RB/FB depth will likely be gone and Dixon & Cartwright just make more sense than any other two.

I certainly think our strongest backfield would be Gore, Hunter, James, Miller, & Jacobs.

I agree. I have been going back and forth between Dixon and Cartwright but as I though about it more, I am inclined to believe that both will not make the 53 man roster.

As RB's goes, it is highly unlikely that Dixon or Cartwright will get any carries with Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, and James on the roster

As FB's goes, the Niners' use a lot of 1 Back, 2 TE sets therefore the FB position is not as essential. In a pinch, Delanie Walker can play H-back like he did last year and Sop or Tukuafu can be called upon as lead blockers.

That leaves ST as the only viable position for either Dixon or Cartwright. Neither of them will be called upon as PR/KR nor are they gunners, so they are both basically playing coverage in ST.

The issue now becomes who should suit up as part of the 46 active roster. the Niners would not be able to afford to keep roster spots for just ST coverage personnel. They need those spots to go to players with other value like backup DB's DL's, LB's etc...

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I have been going back and forth between Dixon and Cartwright but as I though about it more, I am inclined to believe that both will not make the 53 man roster.

As RB's goes, it is highly unlikely that Dixon or Cartwright will get any carries with Gore, Hunter, Jacobs, and James on the roster

As FB's goes, the Niners' use a lot of 1 Back, 2 TE sets therefore the FB position is not as essential. In a pinch, Delanie Walker can play H-back like he did last year and Sop or Tukuafu can be called upon as lead blockers.

That leaves ST as the only viable position for either Dixon or Cartwright. Neither of them will be called upon as PR/KR nor are they gunners, so they are both basically playing coverage in ST.

The issue now becomes who should suit up as part of the 46 active roster. the Niners would not be able to afford to keep roster spots for just ST coverage personnel. They need those spots to go to players with other value like backup DB's DL's, LB's etc...

Could not have said it better.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/08/24/32-teams-in-32-days-san-francisco-49ers/

While the 49ers were one of the better run blocking teams last year, their pass protection was a glaring weakness, grading out 29th overall (-47.4). Center Jonathan Goodwin rated as second-worst among centers in pass blocking (-8.1), Adam Snyder graded out as the worst right guard in the league both in pass protection and overall, and right tackle Anthony Davis (-11.9 pass blocking) also struggled protecting the quarterback.

--

The left side of the line proved much more stable, with Mike Iupati graded as the fifth-highest left guard (+9.6) in the league and tackle Joe Staley overcoming a slow start to earn a rating of +8.8 the final seven games of the regular season.

PFF really should put a disclaimer on these types of analysis #'s stating they are for entertainment purposes only. This analysis as it relates to our O'Line's ability to protect Alex Smith could not be more meaningless.

A much more meaningful analysis would be Alex Smith's ability to protect our O'Line. Yes, this year Alex is going to throw more than 5 INT's but if he hits even half of the open receivers he didn't throw to last year - this year, he'll more than double his TD's and add >30% to his total yards.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnson vs. Tolzien
1:58PM ET
Josh Johnson | 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers have no uncertainty at their Top 2 QB slots: Alex Smith is the starter, Colin Kaepernick is his primary backup. But a battle has been waged all offseason for the No. 3 QB job between Scott Tolzien and FA addition Josh Johnson, a battle that continues into tonight's preseason finale. Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee offers a snapshot of the situation.

"The quandary is whether the 49ers keep Scott Tolzien or Josh Johnson. Or both. It's hard to see the 49ers keeping four quarterbacks on the active roster, but Jim Harbaugh also isn't shy about bucking convention. Tolzien is the only one of the group with practice-squad eligibility. But the 49ers would have to expose him to waivers before getting him on the squad."

Because Tolzien would have to clear waivers to go to the p-squad -- and it's likely that other teams are interested in the Wisconsin product -- this could force the Niners to keep him on the 53-man roster. As for Johnson, it would all depend on just how much they really want to keep four QBs.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson vs. Tolzien
1:58PM ET
Josh Johnson | 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers have no uncertainty at their Top 2 QB slots: Alex Smith is the starter, Colin Kaepernick is his primary backup. But a battle has been waged all offseason for the No. 3 QB job between Scott Tolzien and FA addition Josh Johnson, a battle that continues into tonight's preseason finale. Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee offers a snapshot of the situation.

"The quandary is whether the 49ers keep Scott Tolzien or Josh Johnson. Or both. It's hard to see the 49ers keeping four quarterbacks on the active roster, but Jim Harbaugh also isn't shy about bucking convention. Tolzien is the only one of the group with practice-squad eligibility. But the 49ers would have to expose him to waivers before getting him on the squad."

Because Tolzien would have to clear waivers to go to the p-squad -- and it's likely that other teams are interested in the Wisconsin product -- this could force the Niners to keep him on the 53-man roster. As for Johnson, it would all depend on just how much they really want to keep four QBs.

- Tim Kavanagh​

I can think of exactly no reasons to keep 4 QB's - My money is on Tolzien

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yep, just don't see four QB's either. just good to know either one has a decent chance to develop.

things do change in a hurry, in the course of pre-season games. it wasn't too long ago were talking who'd get more snaps - Kap or JJ?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep, just don't see four QB's either. just good to know either one has a decent chance to develop.

things do change in a hurry, in the course of pre-season games. it wasn't too long ago were talking who'd get more snaps - Kap or JJ?

JJ may still wind up close to Kap on snaps - but not for the reason I suggested. I put my money on experience and familiarity and it looks like I'll have to pay the house.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Maybe we should think about trading one of them:

Cowboys in the market for a QB?
7:29AM ET
Dallas Cowboys

By Friday, NFL teams make their second big round of cuts this preseason, going from 75 players to 53. For players on the proverbial bubble, this means that the final practices and this week's final preseason game mean a lot regarding their continued employment by their current club. The Dallas Cowboys have two QBs that are in no danger of being cut -- starter Tony Romo and backup Kyle Orton -- but the two men behind them on the depth chart are both in significant trouble, it would seem. Here's ESPN NFC East blogger Dan Graziano breaking down Wednesday night's performance:

"Stephen McGee played the first half, led one touchdown drive and converted 13 first downs. He completed nine of 18 passes for 124 yards. The Cowboys led 20-6 at the break. Rudy Carpenter also led the Cowboys on a touchdown drive -- capped by a 58-yard run by Lance Dunbar -- and finished 4-of-10 for 48 yards. In addition, Carpenter had a 21-yard scramble. But it would appear neither quarterback did enough to secure a spot on the roster."

There are a lot of other teams that will be releasing one or multiple QBs on Friday, and the Cowboys will have a chance to do some shopping thereafter, either to bolster their ranks with a veteran or perhaps find a developmental player for the future.

- Tim Kavanagh​

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JJ may still wind up close to Kap on snaps - but not for the reason I suggested. I put my money on experience and familiarity and it looks like I'll have to pay the house.

yes, generally speaking we should lean 'experience and familiarity'.

was just thinking how things change fast, for all of us. we read all week about a player and think he's the guy? we watch one pre-season game and think he's the one.

the very next week, we start to think its the other guy? like its all perception only for that week?

anyways................

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kap looks like a better version of johnson. tolzien looks like a keeper as a back up for the next decade. keeping johnson would be a waste of a roster spot at this point.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, i'm not the only person that notices smith's improvement since the chants for carr. and i don't write articles on sports...