• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp '12

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was tempted to get Alex Smith too, just because in my opinion he is the biggest sleeper at QB. If Moss shows up and brings 15 TDs to the offense then Smith will get a ton of points... so I was tempted.

But I went with Stafford and Ryan instead.

Stafford? Scoooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh... Grant.

Do you know if the P-D lost Maiocco before bringing on Grant full time? I don't remember him being around before that.

And on the topic of Maiocco, anyone else think the quality of Maiocco's articles has diminished since leaving the Press Democrat? I used to hang on a lot of what Maiocco wrote, as if it was Niner cannon, but now I find myself skipping a fair share of what he does for CSN.

I don't know if this is true, but I read in some comments somewhere that Nolan gave a lot of tidbits to Maiocco before. Since then, he hasn't gotten as much from Singletary and obviously Harbaugh. But that's just someone speaking, I have no idea. He is now doing more television stuff, so I don't know if that affects his time spent on reporting (written). Harbaugh is a bit tight lipped until he says everything he can to not answer the question or something.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year I had 2 ESPN teams. One had Tome Brady as my QB and I won that league. The other I had Alex Smith as my starter and I won that league as well. By getting Alex Smith later I was able to get much better position players. I also got a great kicker early so when people were drafting kickers I took Smith.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My last year's winning team

QB Alex Smith, SF QB 14 201 12.6 18 -- -- 13.5 37.7 +0.1
RB Arian Foster, Hou RB 4 238 14.9 0 -- -- 87.7 100.0 +0
RB Peyton Hillis, Cle RB 39 82 5.1 3 -- -- 39.3 87.8 -0.2
RB/WR C.J. Spiller, Buf RB, WR 31 108 6.8 16 -- -- 53.4 98.4 -0.1
WR Calvin Johnson, Det WR 1 254 15.9 30 -- -- 99.2 100.0 +0
WR A.J. Green, Cin WR 16 144 9.0 2 -- -- 61.4 100.0 +0
TE Vernon Davis, SF TE 8 105 6.6 11 -- -- 69.4 98.1 +0
D/ST 49ers D/ST D/ST 1 169 10.6 7 -- -- 87.2 100.0 +0
K David Akers, SF K 1 182 11.4 14 -- -- 86.9 95.4 +0
BENCH 2011 SEASON WEEK 18
SLOT PLAYER, TEAM POS PRK PTS AVG LAST PROJ OPRK %ST %OWN +/-
Bench Percy Harvin, Min WR 8 165 10.3 18 -- -- 65.6 100.0 +0
Bench Mark Ingram, NO RB 42 75 4.7 0 -- -- 20.2 86.6 -0.1
Bench Malcom Floyd, SD WR 32 108 6.8 18 -- -- 28.7 83.3 +0
Bench Lions D/ST D/ST 8 134 8.4 -1 -- -- 35.8 78.0 +0.2
Bench Torrey Smith, Bal WR 22 123 7.7 3 -- -- 28.2 63.8 +0
Bench Jake Locker, Ten QB 40 46 2.9 0 -- -- 0.2 1.1 +0
Bench Early Doucet, Ari WR 42 94 5.9 0 -- -- 3.2 16.1 +0.1

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Last year I had 2 ESPN teams. One had Tome Brady as my QB and I won that league. The other I had Alex Smith as my starter and I won that league as well. By getting Alex Smith later I was able to get much better position players. I also got a great kicker early so when people were drafting kickers I took Smith.

That is precisely my strategy this year (at least in that one particular league; I am sure I cannot implement that same approach in Monsters or Sharks...) which landed me Chris Johnson, and Arian Foster amongst other talented WRs.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Curse of Alex the Unbelievable - ************.com

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Curse of Alex the Unbelievable - ************.com

Easily one of the most honest and objective pieces written on Smith in a long time. Here is an excerpt.

"The preseason, of course, is not the time to be showing your [hand]. But you can't just [flip a switch] when the games start to matter. "...all I wanted, during our upcoming game against Houston, was "just a little taste, to show that [we] do have that potential in a game situation..."

And boy, did Smith have the perfect chance.

Opening drive, second-and-seven at the Texans' 26. To Smith's left, Randy Moss is facing one-on-one coverage. Now any "expert," in any offense, [referring to Smith being an "expert" in our offense] is going to do two things.

First, he's going to notice this. And second, upon receiving the snap, he's going to look to be throwing to Moss. It doesn't matter what the assigned progressions are. When Moss is one-on-one outside, an "expert" is gonna start smelling a touchdown. And damn it all, he's gonna go for it.

Evidently, Smith never even saw Moss juke his defender and cruise, wide open, into the end zone. Instead, he locked onto Vernon Davis on a shallow cross, and delivered a pass that Davis dropped.

Admittedly, Davis should've caught that ball, and he should've gained a first down or more. But instead of seizing the chance for the touchdown, Smith didn't even notice it. And predictably enough, the drive ended with three, not seven."

So, assuming this play has been accurately portrayed, if Davis makes the catch and gets the first down would this be considered a successful play for Alex?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers offensive player-by-player review vs. Texans

66-Joe Looney: He played 31 snaps (25 at left guard; six at right guard), and did a good-enough job. Pulled from left guard to make block on D.J. Bryant on play in which Dixon gained 9 yards.

67-Daniel Kilgore: He entered at center in place of Goodwin and played 19 snaps without any glaring mistakes.

very encouraging.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily one of the most honest and objective pieces written on Smith in a long time. Here is an excerpt.

So, assuming this play has been accurately portrayed, if Davis makes the catch and gets the first down would this be considered a successful play for Alex?

Not knowing accurately how the pocket/protection was, Alex can't wait all day, he made a decision and delivered to Davis but Davis dropped it. That's on Davis unless the pass was awfully thrown to him.

As fo Moss, if he didn't see it, he didn't see but threw the ball to an open guy. Sure you could argue he should've thrown to Moss but on 3rd down he went for a first... maybe on first or 2nd, he would've pulled the trigger.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not knowing accurately how the pocket/protection was, Alex can't wait all day, he made a decision and delivered to Davis but Davis dropped it. That's on Davis unless the pass was awfully thrown to him.

As fo Moss, if he didn't see it, he didn't see but threw the ball to an open guy. Sure you could argue he should've thrown to Moss but on 3rd down he went for a first... maybe on first or 2nd, he would've pulled the trigger.

That was second down, unfortunately. But I think if Davis caught that, that would have been a TD, based upon Moss drawing attention and his potential blocking afterwards. Missed opportunity for Davis for one reason and missed opportunity for Smith for another. Wasn't the best pass but definitely, IMO, should have been caught (but if so, not necessarily a TD). If Smith threw it perfectly, I expect a TD on that play to either Moss or Davis. Both Davis and Smith bear fault there. Considering Smith may have fault in both the throw and not seeing Moss, I put that roughly 75% on Smith for not getting the first down. 65% for not getting the TD, because neither Davis catch or Moss throw is automatic TD.

The positive thing is that we have options on that play that both appear fruitful if Smith can read the defense. If teams cut off Davis, Moss is more open. If teams cut off Moss, Davis is open and as it appears, both are stronger chances for TDs. Add in some wrinkle and that's a pretty good play. We just need Alex to read the defense, make good decisions, and for the receiver to do his job. So many plays under Raye, whether that be his or Singletary's fault, required too much... I don't want to say luck, but the other team needs to not know the play, the receivers need to be taught where to be, better options on the plays, and Smith needed coaching (and often to make a better throw, read, or decision). All bear some blame. The NFL is complex, so too must Raye's O, but Harbaugh's and Roman's is better. (Understatement Alert!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Someone posted a picture just prior to Smith's release of what I think is the play. If that photo does depict the play then I think the author may have reacted a little zealously.

That said, however, Smith does carry a reputation for throwing underneath when there is an explosive play down field. I would think with Moss, Manningham and even Jenkins Smith's tendency for minimal success at the expense of maximum success will be met with more scrutiny.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are Alex supporters, Alex haters, and neutral folk. As far as I read on the other board, the writer is a poser as far as him believing Smith ever (after Saints game or before Moss's non-pass). He was as bonafide a 'hater' as I am supporter (though I think I support the Niners more than he). But I don't know, it's just from reading from others on other boards. Of course, they may be Alex lovers so that is to be taken with a grain of salt. I won't say he's a total hater, but I don't believe he actually believed in Alex. In fact, I believe Alex can succeed, I don't believe enough to know he will, and I'm a supporter.

When I say hater, it's not the same "hater" as someone who always dogged on LeBron, someone who was more successful than Smith even prior to winning the Championship. I mean hater as in one who will actively look to discredit something someone has done, with zealousness, not merely doubting him. If doubting Alex was all it took to be a hater, most of us have been or still are 'haters'. It would leave little to know room for objectivity. Definitions must fit to have any value.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are Alex supporters, Alex haters, and neutral folk. As far as I read on the other board, the writer is a poser as far as him believing Smith ever (after Saints game or before Moss's non-pass). He was as bonafide hater as I am supporter (though I think I support the Niners more than he). But I don't know, it's just from reading from others on other boards. Of course, they may be Alex lovers so that is to be taken with a grain of salt. I won't say he's a total hater, but I don't believe he actually believed in Alex. In fact, I believe Alex can succeed, I don't believe enough to know he will, and I'm a supporter.

The problem with Alex Lovers, such as yourself, is your opinions are often these faith filled, emotional charges that either, A) exaggerate much of what Alex has ever done, or B) remove critical and historical context from what he has done.

I'm probably a bigger Alex fan than you, but I'm objective. I do not afford Alex or any individual player in my analysis of his/their performance the same emotional leniency as I do the entire team/organization.

On the whole and thanks to last year, Alex finally elevated his game to that of being a solid average NFL QB, and this year he has a damn good shot to become an above average NFL QB.

This year he WILL take that shot; however, speaking from both an empirical and current perspective, I would say he has about a 40% chance of making that shot. Does that make me a hater? Nope! It makes me realistic.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are Alex supporters, Alex haters, and neutral folk. As far as I read on the other board, the writer is a poser as far as him believing Smith ever (after Saints game or before Moss's non-pass). He was as bonafide a 'hater' as I am supporter (though I think I support the Niners more than he). But I don't know, it's just from reading from others on other boards. Of course, they may be Alex lovers so that is to be taken with a grain of salt. I won't say he's a total hater, but I don't believe he actually believed in Alex. In fact, I believe Alex can succeed, I don't believe enough to know he will, and I'm a supporter.

When I say hater, it's not the same "hater" as someone who always dogged on LeBron, someone who was more successful than Smith even prior to winning the Championship. I mean hater as in one who will actively look to discredit something someone has done, with zealousness, not merely doubting him. If doubting Alex was all it took to be a hater, most of us have been or still are 'haters'. It would leave little to know room for objectivity. Definitions must fit to have any value.

Perhaps if you stopped using the term "hater" you could also stop having to defend using it - just a thought.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Perhaps if you stopped using the term "hater" you could also stop having to defend using it - just a thought.

Hello Bem, Not saying you assessment on supporters and critics of Smith is not accurate, in fact I would agree that it's hard to be objective when it comes to Smith but it's hard to put credence on posters like the author of the webzone article in question, when critics like him disappears for a length of time when everything is going smoothly for the 49ers in general and Smith in particular, then a bad game comes along and a full force "I told you so" article gets posted like the one in question...

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That play to VD is exactly what we want to see so there was no reason for Smith to wait around and see if there was a bigger play brewing. He saw VD singled covered by an LB with no shot to keep up with him and he hit it. We'll take that play all day if it's open like that.

Like I said in the other thread if Smith dumped it off to the RB or made another safe throw I could see being critical of him and roasting him for missing on a bigger play but that particularly play wasn't a miss on Smith's part.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello Bem, Not saying you assessment on supporters and critics of Smith is not accurate, in fact I would agree that it's hard to be objective when it comes to Smith but it's hard to put credence on posters like the author of the webzone article in question, when critics like him disappears for a length of time when everything is going smoothly for the 49ers in general and Smith in particular, then a bad game comes along and a full force "I told you so" article gets posted like the one in question...

Wassup Four! I could not agree more with your point - well stated! I admit I don't know this author's work very well but if he is doing drive-bys, as you mention, then yes, he likely deserves the moniker of 'hater'