• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp '12

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was your relationship with former 49ers head coach and current Vikings defensive assistant coach Mike Singletary? Will you say hi to him?

Alex - “Yeah, if we see him. I’m getting ready to play a game. I’m not thinking about seeing anybody or anything like that. I’m going to get ready to play a game. But our relationship was fine.”

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was your relationship with former 49ers head coach and current Vikings defensive assistant coach Mike Singletary? Will you say hi to him?

Alex - “Yeah, if we see him. I’m getting ready to play a game. I’m not thinking about seeing anybody or anything like that. I’m going to get ready to play a game. But our relationship was fine.”

that is a great attitude to have. I think Alex has grown so much these past 2 years it's like it's another guy out there.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't see the camera pan to Singletary once now that I think of it.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good lord 32,000? that's nearly a game right there...

expectations high in SF much? lol

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon's return timeline
1:26PM ET
Aldon Smith | 49ers

The increased role for San Francisco 49ers OLB Aldon Smith certainly played a role in his injury on Friday night, as he is now being expected to ramp up his role to staying on the field for all three downs. But speaking of that injury, when should we expect him back on the field?

"We'll see. He'll be out for some time," Niners HC Jim Harbaugh said Sunday, per CSN Bay Area. "Maybe a week or so. But I think he'll be back in a week, but we'll see."

It appears Smith will miss the club's second preseason game this Saturday, and his presence for the all-important third preseason game (where starters play into the second half) is certainly in question.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tolzien in the mix as QB2
11:14AM ET
Scott Tolzien | 49ers

The prevailing consensus heading into this preseason was that the San Francisco 49ers had a two-man competition going on for the right to be Alex Smith's primary backup at QB. We've been keeping a close watch on the battle between second-year pro Colin Kaepernick and Josh Johnson, but apparently it's actually more of a three-man race.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle writes that Scott Tolzien -- thought to be stuck in the No. 4 slot -- has injected himself into the competition for the No. 2 job, especially after his play during Friday's preseason opener. Tolzien finished 10-of-13 for 84 yards, and two of those incompletions were drops.

As for the others, Kaepernick was just 5-of-9 for 40 yards passing, but added 92 yards on three carries (including a 78-yard TD run), while Johnson was 2-of-4 at the tail end of the contest. Saturday's game at Houston will offer the next hint as to which of the three men is ahead in the competition.

- Tim Kavanagh​

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaepernick vs. Johnson
1:25PM ET
Colin Kaepernick | 49ers

The San Francisco 49ers have hitched their proverbial wagon to QB Alex Smith, and there is no question that he is the club's starter at the most important position in all of pro sports. While we can debate all day whether he's earned that job, it's a moot discussion.

But beneath Smith on the depth chart are two players vying for the right to take over for him in the case of significant injury. So with the club's preseason opener on tap for Friday night -- and the first-team offense not expected to get a ton of work -- the battle between Colin Kaepernick and Josh Johnson will be a key focal point. ESPN NFC West blogger Mike Sando sets the stage:

- Tim Kavanagh​

Mike Sando
Too close to call at this point

"Colin Kaepernick and Josh Johnson are battling for the right to serve in the No. 2 role behind Smith. A year ago, the lockout gave Kaepernick and other rookies very little prep time before the exhibition schedule. Kaepernick has subsequently had a full season to learn the offense. He'll be in better position to succeed. However, Johnson's roots in coach Jim Harbaugh's system run deeper. He played for Harbaugh at the University of San Diego, then signed with the 49ers in free agency this year."

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tolzien in the mix as QB2
11:14AM ET
Scott Tolzien | 49ers

The prevailing consensus heading into this preseason was that the San Francisco 49ers had a two-man competition going on for the right to be Alex Smith's primary backup at QB. We've been keeping a close watch on the battle between second-year pro Colin Kaepernick and Josh Johnson, but apparently it's actually more of a three-man race.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle writes that Scott Tolzien -- thought to be stuck in the No. 4 slot -- has injected himself into the competition for the No. 2 job, especially after his play during Friday's preseason opener. Tolzien finished 10-of-13 for 84 yards, and two of those incompletions were drops.

As for the others, Kaepernick was just 5-of-9 for 40 yards passing, but added 92 yards on three carries (including a 78-yard TD run), while Johnson was 2-of-4 at the tail end of the contest. Saturday's game at Houston will offer the next hint as to which of the three men is ahead in the competition.

- Tim Kavanagh​

I don't like the analysis on the numbers, I'd rather have a description on what it looked like - was it late, etc. Because one incomplete was a spike. One or two were dropped. Let's say one to be conservative. That 5-9 turns into 6-8. Obviously, there was the pass that should/could have been an INT and receivers get credit for catching passes, not just blame for drops, but I've read multiple accounts that say Kaepernick was just 5 for 9.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Smith might miss rest of preseason: 49ers outside linebacker Aldon Smith is expected to be ready for the start of the regular season but could miss the rest of the preseason according to head coach Jim Harbaugh. Smith left with a hip injury in the team's first preseason game against the Vikings. "We'll see," Harbaugh said according to Comcast SportsNet. "He'll be out for some time. Maybe a week or so. But I think he'll be back in a week, but we'll see."
(Updated 08/13/2012)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith might miss rest of preseason: 49ers outside linebacker Aldon Smith is expected to be ready for the start of the regular season but could miss the rest of the preseason according to head coach Jim Harbaugh. Smith left with a hip injury in the team's first preseason game against the Vikings. "We'll see," Harbaugh said according to Comcast SportsNet. "He'll be out for some time. Maybe a week or so. But I think he'll be back in a week, but we'll see."
(Updated 08/13/2012)

Gezus!! When I first read this I thought it read "Smith might miss rest of 'season'" - Okay, I'm okay, we're okay now.