• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline thread

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Lakers should have added the contracts of Jordon and Bazemore to those two second rounders. Maybe adding Nunn or THT as well. Apparently Pelinka has not learned much from the many debacles he has already committed to contribute to the shit-show known as the present-day Lakers.
Not ready to give up on THT or Nunn just yet. Those 2 could be young players we could use once James and Westbrook are gone.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not ready to give up on THT or Nunn just yet. Those 2 could be young players we could use once James and Westbrook are gone.

LOL.

Players you could use to do what?

You are willing to forgo a chance to get better around 2 elite players who have already won you a title for 2 guys who are at BEST quality role players in the future.

And they aren’t even there yet.

When LeBron and Russ are gone, you will have a chance to start over. THT and Nunn are easy to replace.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,806.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

Players you could use to do what?

You are willing to forgo a chance to get better around 2 elite players who have already won you a title for 2 guys who are at BEST quality role players in the future.

And they aren’t even there yet.

When LeBron and Russ are gone, you will have a chance to start over. THT and Nunn are easy to replace.
Maybe you missed it but we have traded away Ingram, Randle, Ball, Kuzma, and KCP. Just to mention some of the players we have traded.

Oh, and Ingram and Randle have turned into really good players. Ball is a good PG and Kuz is averaging 25.8ppg, 10rpg, and 3.1apg over his last 9 games. THT could develop into a really good scorer. He started out his season on fire.

Not trading THT for Reddish, despite him being a good player.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you missed it but we have traded away Ingram, Randle, Ball, Kuzma, and KCP. Just to mention some of the players we have traded.

Oh, and Ingram and Randle have turned into really good players. Ball is a good PG and Kuz is averaging 25.8ppg, 10rpg, and 3.1apg over his last 9 games. THT could develop into a really good scorer. He started out his season on fire.

You gave up those players to basically get Lebron and AD. That is a move you make 100 out of 100

Horton-Tucker was good in his first 3 games then was straight ass for about 10 consecutive games

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they trade one of their two stars instead of trading the guy on a one year deal looking for his next big contract in the offseason?
He turned down a massiv Laker offer andwentto the Celtics. He diesn't appear to be looking for money as much as a place to play where he's getting playing time, likes the environment and is making$7M a years. Schoder doesn't seem to be typical of many NBA Max Contract guys.

If theCeltics want to move out of this mediocrity they can't keep both Brown and Tatum. It hasn't worked for three years and they need to change it. Brown to the Wizards for Beal seems to be a constant rumor.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many trades going to happen that don’t at least make an attempt to get the Thunder involved. The Thunder are currently 23 million below the cap floor so they can and will take on salary. Throw in all the picks the Thunder have and it really feels like the Thunder will be heavily involved in the coming weeks.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not trading THT for Reddish, despite him being a good player.

The goal is to win now. That became the goal the second Lebron agreed to come to the Lakers. THT and Nunn are solid and might be solid role players on a winning team...but, as @tlance said, they are easily replaced. So if you can improve your chances of winning now by moving one or both of them, you do it without a 2nd thought.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goal is to win now. That became the goal the second Lebron agreed to come to the Lakers. THT and Nunn are solid and might be solid role players on a winning team...but, as @tlance said, they are easily replaced. So if you can improve your chances of winning now by moving one or both of them, you do it without a 2nd thought.

The moment Lebron retires, the Lakers will be rebuilding so no reason to hold on to THT or Nunn.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The moment Lebron retires, the Lakers will be rebuilding so no reason to hold on to THT or Nunn.

Agree. I'd also add that if they truly want to get out from under Westbrooks contract, it likely will will cost them one or both of them. I doubt they can get him moved, but if they do, I don't see it happening without at least 1 of those guys included.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. I'd also add that if they truly want to get out from under Westbrooks contract, it likely will will cost them one or both of them. I doubt they can get him moved, but if they do, I don't see it happening without at least 1 of those guys included.

Yeah that's gonna be pretty tough. Don't know how you can match those salaries. The Thunder could do it but I doubt that they have much desire to bring back Russ and Nunn and THT probably don't fit their timelines.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's gonna be pretty tough. Don't know how you can match those salaries. The Thunder could do it but I doubt that they have much desire to bring back Russ and Nunn and THT probably don't fit their timelines.

Imo, the most realistic option would be a team that has decided to blow it up and has a high priced player or 2 that they want to move, but still want the fans to show up/tune in to the games.

If, for example, The Blazers decided to blow it up, maybe they send CJ to the Lakers for Westbrook and THT or Nunn. Probably have to throw in some "filler". But that's along the lines of what I think it would take to move him. Probably not the Blazers, I doubt they would want to trade with the Lakers, but a team in a similar situation.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, the most realistic option would be a team that has decided to blow it up and has a high priced player or 2 that they want to move, but still want the fans to show up/tune in to the games.

If, for example, The Blazers decided to blow it up, maybe they send CJ to the Lakers for Westbrook and THT or Nunn. Probably have to throw in some "filler". But that's along the lines of what I think it would take to move him. Probably not the Blazers, I doubt they would want to trade with the Lakers, but a team in a similar situation.

The problem is that Westbrook is getting paid a gajillion dollars. THT is another 10. So the 2 of them represent something close to 60 million is salary that needs to be matched. So realistically you would need a team that is A) blowing it up and B) has a couple of albatross contracts and C) wants whatever sweeteners the Lakers can offer.

Honestly the only real possibility I could see is if the Lakers trade Westbrook for... John Wall again. Which I can't see happening.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with your basic premise TJF12. The Lakers will probably make the playoffs this year at best or at least the play-in round. But the more the Lakers see how bad the shooting of Westbrook continues to disintegrate coupled with the realization that they really shit-the-bed with that awful contract, I think they would move LeBron and Westbrook if some team was going to do something like you've stated.

It is pretty tough to imagine any team in their right mind would do that especially in light of the fact that LeBron is getting older and close to retirement.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that Westbrook is getting paid a gajillion dollars. THT is another 10. So the 2 of them represent something close to 60 million is salary that needs to be matched. So realistically you would need a team that is A) blowing it up and B) has a couple of albatross contracts and C) wants whatever sweeteners the Lakers can offer.

Honestly the only real possibility I could see is if the Lakers trade Westbrook for... John Wall again. Which I can't see happening.
The Lakers are not going to trade Westbrook for Wall because their contracts are nearly identical. Although many people have presented the same idea. Granted, Wall can shoot way better than Westbrook these days but the Lakers have already stated they will not do that trade because of the contracts. Also, Wall is getting up in years as well.

Pelinka, I believed has learned his lesson, (I think) and he is slowing moving old garbage out for younger, defensive-minded players like the very ones he traded away to get in this shit-show in the first place.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with your basic premise TJF12. The Lakers will probably make the playoffs this year at best or at least the play-in round. But the more the Lakers see how bad the shooting of Westbrook continues to disintegrate coupled with the realization that they really shit-the-bed with that awful contract, I think they would move LeBron and Westbrook if some team was going to do something like you've stated.

It is pretty tough to imagine any team in their right mind would do that especially in light of the fact that LeBron is getting older and close to retirement.

The Lakers aren't trading Lebron. They'll move Westbrook during the season if they can. If not, unless they win the title, they'll try to move him in the off-season.

There are 2 things that can make him attractive to another team...fans will show up to watch him and he will be an expiring contract. But, as has been pointed out, the $44 million he's making this year, becomes $47 million next year and that's a lot of salary to try to match. I don't think they have to match 100%, but they have to come within a certain percentage. That will be made even more difficult if the team they trade him to wants THT or Nunn.

*Edit - If a team that is blowing it up, does trade for Westbrook, that contract would have to have more years left than Westbrooks, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably right TJF12 but after watching professional sports for nearly 60 years, I am not surprised anymore by what a team says to the public they are going to do and what they eventually and actually do. I think you are of the same ilk.