• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline Thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember right, we were the only team to give up a Top 100 prospect in any of the three deals. To me we gave up the biggest package, took on the most money, and got the worst guy even at the time of the trade especially based on the position of need.

If I remember correctly a big part of that whole deal was getting more international cash for ohtani which ended up being a waste anyway.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember right, we were the only team to give up a Top 100 prospect in any of the three deals. To me we gave up the biggest package, took on the most money, and got the worst guy even at the time of the trade especially based on the position of need.

I think the biggest issue is that we acquired him right around the time that players like him started to go out of fashion. Additionally during his time with the Mariners he has had 3 or 4 minor injuries that really seemed to take a toll on him even after he came back from the DL.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dee Gordon:
We probably didn't have the prospects back then to realistically obtain Yelich or Ozuna, but I'm too lazy to research it. Unfortunately his injury and recent struggles really hamper his value. Perhaps if he finishes the season strong there could be a deal to be made in the offseason. At the very minimum he's a guy who would be a great fit as a utility player in the NL with his elite speed and ability to play OF, SS and 2B. He'd make one hell of a pinch runner.

I had to look it up. Based on the 3 outfielders traded (Ozuna, Yelich, Gordon), here are the current Marlins rated rookies involved in the trades:

Now:

Yelich: #5 & #6
Ozuna: None
Gordon: #12 & #24

So if adding a guy like Kyle Lewis back then who was rated #42 Overall or Zunino to the deal could have netted Yelich who was better and cheaper. We might have been able to deal both Lewis and Zunino and got Yelich and Realmuto back as well. Who knows but that trade never made sense.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember correctly a big part of that whole deal was getting more international cash for ohtani which ended up being a waste anyway.

Oh absolutely it was which never made sense either especially in the end. I would have taken Yelich over Stanton back then. He was the best all around player traded by Marlins that year and I hated the fact M's were putting all their eggs in the Ohtani basket w/o any indication of knowing which way he was leaning. Just bad GMing all away around that year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to look it up. Based on the 3 outfielders traded (Ozuna, Yelich, Gordon), here are the current Marlins rated rookies involved in the trades:

Now:

Yelich: #5 & #6
Ozuna: None
Gordon: #12 & #24

So if adding a guy like Kyle Lewis back then who was rated #42 Overall or Zunino to the deal could have netted Yelich who was better and cheaper. We might have been able to deal both Lewis and Zunino and got Yelich and Realmuto back as well. Who knows but that trade never made sense.

That's quite puzzling then. Thanks for looking that up as I was too lazy to do it myself/was at work and didn't want to waste any more time than I already do.

Looking back on it the Marlins really got fucked on the Yelich and Ozuna trades then. I do remember I was really hoping the Mariners would go after one of them, even at the expense of prospects.

Crazy to think that at one point the Marlins had Ozuna/Stanton and Yelich in the outfield. IMO if you want to rebuild, you build around those players. None of them were older than 27.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh absolutely it was which never made sense either especially in the end. I would have taken Yelich over Stanton back then. He was the best all around player traded by Marlins that year and I hated the fact M's were putting all their eggs in the Ohtani basket w/o any indication of knowing which way he was leaning. Just bad GMing all away around that year.

It would've been great if it had worked out, but the Mariners had to internally have been aware their chances of landing Ohtani. Even with hindsight being 20/20, that's just too big of a gamble to make.