• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline Thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that sooner rather than later they will have way too many guys they need to pay and won't be able to retain them all. I don't know much about their ownership or willingness to spend, but it would take a lot of money to keep all of those guys.

Yea for sure. Cole will walk, I think Verlander and Grienke will have 2 years left after the one. Springer and Correa still need to get paid. I think they were pushing $160 mil pre Grienke so they can definitely be considered a spending team at this point

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea for sure. Cole will walk, I think Verlander and Grienke will have 2 years left after the one. Springer and Correa still need to get paid. I think they were pushing $160 mil pre Grienke so they can definitely be considered a spending team at this point
Altuve is making 9.5 mill this year and jumps to 29 mil next year so yeah they will have some decisions to make soon but they looked stacked for this year

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that sooner rather than later they will have way too many guys they need to pay and won't be able to retain them all. I don't know much about their ownership or willingness to spend, but it would take a lot of money to keep all of those guys.
It is 100% sooner. The trade by them today says they are all in to win it this year and no matter how you look at it, age is a huge factors Verlander (36) and Greinke (35). They may not have many years left. Cole (28) will be a UFA.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end, I think it was a successful trade deadline for the M's. They moved a few pieces that have no fit into the future plans and got in return pieces that could.

Slightly disappointed that they were not able to move Santana or Gordon. Santana could still fit into the long term goal but at 26, it's unlikely. His shortcomings on defense is also a major liability.

Gordon's injury this year allows the M's to be stuck with him. Unfortunate.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the end, I think it was a successful trade deadline for the M's. They moved a few pieces that have no fit into the future plans and got in return pieces that could.

Slightly disappointed that they were not able to move Santana or Gordon. Santana could still fit into the long term goal but at 26, it's unlikely. His shortcomings on defense is also a major liability.

Gordon's injury this year allows the M's to be stuck with him. Unfortunate.

At least with Santana, I feel they could still move him this winter. Gordon they are probably stuck with

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If including trades for M's over the last 60 days, I would say it has been a mixed bag but I expect nothing less from this organization.

Trades:

Traded OF Jay Bruce and cash to Philadelphia for INF Jake Scheiner.

ME: Very, very lite return. 'D'

Traded 1B Edwin Encarnaci?n and cash to the N.Y. Yankees for RHP Juan Then.
ME: Very, very lite return. 'C'

Acquired RHP Matt Wisler from San Diego for cash considerations.
ME: It is only money. 'B'

Traded Mike Leake for Jose Caballero
ME: Great for Leake. Good for AZ. Ehhh for M's. Money unknown, outside of that why not make the earlier trade. 'C'

Traded Elias and Strickland for lefty Taylor Guilbeau and righty Elvis Alvardo — and sent left-handed right-handed pitcher Aaron Fletcher for Strickland.
ME: Love it. No matter what happens with these three they are all bonus babies. I wish we signed more guys earlier to trade at deadline. 'A'

Non-Trades:

Santana
- If the deal wasn't there, I am okay with keeping him. Look to trade him in the off season if value is there, if not make him the RH DH/RF.

Gordon- The missed opportunity with Gordon was actually when we obtained him. We were in need of a CF and Marlins were trading everyone including Yelich and Ozuna and we targeted a SS turned 2B to play CF coming off a bad year. With a little more trade value we could have went for Ozuna and for a little more a future league MVP in Yelich. We aimed low and hit what we aimed for.

2017 Stats:

Ozuna 5.1 WAR
Yelich 4.6 WAR
Gordon 3.6 WAR

2018 - To Current Stats:

Yelich 13.6 WAR
Ozuna 4.4 WAR
Gordon 0.4 WAR

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more Roenis Elias...again. I guess that means Hunter Strickland will be closing again. Fantasy Baseball geeks beware. Although I doubt there will be very many save opportunities available for him over the next two months.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more Roenis Elias...again. I guess that means Hunter Strickland will be closing again. Fantasy Baseball geeks beware. Although I doubt there will be very many save opportunities available for him over the next two months.

Strickland went with Elias to Nats.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strickland went with Elias to Nats.
Weeeeeelllll, fuck a rubber duck. Thanks for keeping me informed, bro. I guess I need to cut Strickland in all the leagues I just acquired him in. LOL

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If including trades for M's over the last 60 days, I would say it has been a mixed bag but I expect nothing less from this organization.

Trades:

ME: Great for Leake. Good for AZ. Ehhh for M's. Money unknown, outside of that why not make the earlier trade. 'C'

Traded Elias and Strickland for lefty Taylor Guilbeau and righty Elvis Alvardo — and sent left-handed right-handed pitcher Aaron Fletcher for Strickland.
ME: Love it. No matter what happens with these three they are all bonus babies. I wish we signed more guys earlier to trade at deadline. 'A'

Non-Trades:

Santana
- If the deal wasn't there, I am okay with keeping him. Look to trade him in the off season if value is there, if not make him the RH DH/RF.

Gordon- The missed opportunity with Gordon was actually when we obtained him. We were in need of a CF and Marlins were trading everyone including Yelich and Ozuna and we targeted a SS turned 2B to play CF coming off a bad year. With a little more trade value we could have went for Ozuna and for a little more a future league MVP in Yelich. We aimed low and hit what we aimed for.

2017 Stats:

Ozuna 5.1 WAR
Yelich 4.6 WAR
Gordon 3.6 WAR

2018 - To Current Stats:

Yelich 13.6 WAR
Ozuna 4.4 WAR
Gordon 0.4 WAR

I would give 1 higher grade up for the Bruce and Encarnacion trades. Encarnacion has been a nightmare for the yankees since being traded there imagine having a player that only DHs but hits under .200 so literally what is the point. He got hot lately with a couple of homers but overall he is hitting like .204 since being traded and more than likely he wont be resigned and will be a free agent when his contract is up. Bruce is somewhat a similar story I see him being a free agent when his contract is over.

It would have been risky keeping Edwin because if he started hitting .200 with us we probably wouldnt be able to move him like Dee Gordon

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I am going to get boo'd here but I'm going to say it:

He ( Dipoto) has done a pretty good job retooling this.
You trade two head case relievers into three young unproven arms back to your farm.
Leake trade you got at least something that could pan out, ( end of the day you owed Leake to get him home)

September hits we get to see the two best arms this farm system has, if they flop they flop. They get the experience and will be looking to work on their stuff in the offseason then again in spring ball.

Now to be clear I am just applauding the young players he's getting back, trading away average players and getting some young talent back is hard, and he has been turning over every rock to try and restock this clubs farm system.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trades:

Non-Trades:

Santana

2017 Stats:

Ozuna 5.1 WAR
Yelich 4.6 WAR
Gordon 3.6 WAR

2018 - To Current Stats:

Yelich 13.6 WAR
Ozuna 4.4 WAR
Gordon 0.4 WAR

I agree with much of what you posted. Here are a few thoughts:

Jay Bruce:
I would give this an F if not for the fact that he wasn't a very valuable trade chip in the first place. We ate almost the entirety of his contract and received a guy who likely isn't a top-40 prospect for the Mariners and Bruce has continued to hit well. I do believe if the Mariners would've waited a bit longer, they could've received a better prospect and/or more salary relief.

Edwin Encarnacion:
Given the circumstances I'd say it's a win/win. Juan Then slots in at #16 in our system right now. He's a bit of a lottery ticket, but with teams not as willing to part with top prospects for a rental as they used to be, I think it was a fair return. Nothing spectacular, but I'd give it a B or B-.

Mike Leake:
Per some Seattle Times article that I read, the Mariners are on the hook for $5m in 2020 and $5m in 2021 (his buyout). My personal opinion is that Leake is underrated by the league and should've received a better return, but the interest in him is low so it is what it is. I'd say probably C on this one.

Strickland and Elias:
I wouldn't say I love it, but getting some pretty solid prospects for guys who don't fit in the long-term scheme of things it was a good move. B+

Domingo Santana:
I say they should wait until the right deal is there. His defense has improved since being moved to right field and if he continues hitting the way he has been and the defense continues to improve, his value could go up. No reason to rush trading him IMO.

Dee Gordon:
We probably didn't have the prospects back then to realistically obtain Yelich or Ozuna, but I'm too lazy to research it. Unfortunately his injury and recent struggles really hamper his value. Perhaps if he finishes the season strong there could be a deal to be made in the offseason. At the very minimum he's a guy who would be a great fit as a utility player in the NL with his elite speed and ability to play OF, SS and 2B. He'd make one hell of a pinch runner.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dee Gordon:
We probably didn't have the prospects back then to realistically obtain Yelich or Ozuna, but I'm too lazy to research it. Unfortunately his injury and recent struggles really hamper his value. Perhaps if he finishes the season strong there could be a deal to be made in the offseason. At the very minimum he's a guy who would be a great fit as a utility player in the NL with his elite speed and ability to play OF, SS and 2B. He'd make one hell of a pinch runner.

If I remember right, we were the only team to give up a Top 100 prospect in any of the three deals. To me we gave up the biggest package, took on the most money, and got the worst guy even at the time of the trade especially based on the position of need.