• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline rumor/wishlist thread - 2015

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Davis is much more of a #4 than a #5. He'd be a #5 on the Giants when Oxy/Herk/Seaweed/Shark are healthy, but he's a 100 OPS+ and 1.5 WAR guy which are #4 numbers.

Also, to be fair, Oxy has been 77 OPS+ and -1.1 WAR this year, which is a #6 or #7's numbers. These numbers are cumulative, and he's been quite hurt, so they could certainly change to the positive by years end, but Davis looks like an upgrade.

For reference, the G's OF in OPS + and WAR
Pence: 133, 0.9
Pagan: 77, -1.1
Aoki: 120, 1.7
Blanco: 129, 0.7
Maxwell: 81, 0.2

Recall that WAR is cumulative and generally increases as the year goes on. OPS+ is based on comparison to league average and is not cumulative.
Pagan is not in danger of being the guy to be DFA'd. He is on this team, assuming health. The guy who would get the boot would be Mad Max. And while Max's seasonal numbers are OK at best, he started super-hot and has been quite good of late (basically since his batting session with GOAT). I trust that he will be a better player from here on out than he season numbers to this point would indicate. Also, while he went to Velez school for Outfiled Routes, he is an amazing athlete who is able to recover quite well from these routes, so he is a net positive in the field (with a near-cannon to boot). This team relies on defense. If the #4/#5 OFer the acquire does not offer defense, there is no point for him to be acquired.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pagan is not in danger of being the guy to be DFA'd. He is on this team, assuming health. The guy who would get the boot would be Mad Max. And while Max's seasonal numbers are OK at best, he started super-hot and has been quite good of late (basically since his batting session with GOAT). I trust that he will be a better player from here on out than he season numbers to this point would indicate. Also, while he went to Velez school for Outfiled Routes, he is an amazing athlete who is able to recover quite well from these routes, so he is a net positive in the field (with a near-cannon to boot). This team relies on defense. If the #4/#5 OFer the acquire does not offer defense, there is no point for him to be acquired.

That's certainly possible, but "trust" in it seems like a leap of logic, given his career numbers.

I'm not arguing that Oxy could/would be DFA'd. He won't be. But he could be DL'd for August and then added back when rosters expand. In the interim, I could see a Davis fit.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's certainly possible, but "trust" in it seems like a leap of logic, given his career numbers.

I'm not arguing that Oxy could/would be DFA'd. He won't be. But he could be DL'd for August and then added back when rosters expand. In the interim, I could see a Davis fit.
If Davis is added, though, someone still has to be taken off the roster (Aoki will be taking Pagans spot). Who goes? Are you recommending that Max gets DFA'd?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Davis is added, though, someone still has to be taken off the roster (Aoki will be taking Pagans spot). Who goes? Are you recommending that Max gets DFA'd?

for the 25 man, Oxy to DL.
For the 40 man, BT to the 60 day DL

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The reports on BT's hips are not good. Having had two hip replacements myself, I cannot imagine what his pitching style has done to his hips. He did seem, early on, to be very flexible, almost like a gymnast. But there are fewer and fewer 30 year old gymnasts with that sort of supple flexibility. I hope he can come back, but "degenerative hips" sounds downright scary.

The ominous news about Tim Lincecum's hip condition - McCovey Chronicles

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, since you insist that Pagan to the DL will account for Davis's 25-spot (a 40 spot is not needed since we are currently at 39)...

Who's spot does Aoki take?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Tim's injuries are extremely serious, the Giants wouldn't shut him down like that and ruin his value for the rest of his career. He is still pitching for life after 2015, they'll let him ruin his value on his own.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Tim's injuries are extremely serious, the Giants wouldn't shut him down like that and ruin his value for the rest of his career. He is still pitching for life after 2015, they'll let him ruin his value on his own.
Hasnt he already done that?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he goes to the 60, it will be a (relatively) legit turn, I think. However, if the Giants are in the hunt, his PT will be very infrequent. The Giants to do not owe him enough to tank this season just so he can get another job. If they are done, than yes, he will get quite a few opportunities to show off.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he goes to the 60, it will be a (relatively) legit turn, I think. However, if the Giants are in the hunt, his PT will be very infrequent. The Giants to do not owe him enough to tank this season just so he can get another job. If they are done, than yes, he will get quite a few opportunities to show off.

I'm just saying the Giants aren't going to 60-day him if he's not seriously hurt, as that would kill any value he had left for the sake of a roster crunch. Whether he re-establishes that value on the field or not is a different matter.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This question is above my paygrade, but here goes to youse guys:

Now that Kazmir 'set the market' as the first domino, what does that say about the remaining SPs, and do the Giants now seem more or less likely to land a top line starter even as a rental?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Lincecum...

Is it a little selfish of me to kinda wish this hip thing is so bad that he retires, never having worn anything but teh French vanilla? I don't want to dude's career to end, but if it does, there are good ways and bad ways and it would be sad to see him try to pitch on that hip in Seattle or wherever. It's be more dignified.

Is that unfair of me?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Lincecum...

Is it a little selfish of me to kinda wish this hip thing is so bad that he retires, never having worn anything but teh French vanilla? I don't want to dude's career to end, but if it does, there are good ways and bad ways and it would be sad to see him try to pitch on that hip in Seattle or wherever. It's be more dignified.

Is that unfair of me?
Dude has made 100 M in his career thus far. No need for any of us to cry him a river.

I would prefer he only wear the French vanilla as well, but he is nit a HOFer, so it isn't really a big deal. I am not sure how active he will be in the Giants alumni system, either.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, since you insist that Pagan to the DL will account for Davis's 25-spot (a 40 spot is not needed since we are currently at 39)...

Who's spot does Aoki take?

I'm not "insisting," I'm saying it could be done that way. Aoki pushes BT to the 60 day, which I believe does not count toward the 40 man.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not "insisting," I'm saying it could be done that way. Aoki pushes BT to the 60 day, which I believe does not count toward the 40 man.
But that nothing for the 25 man.

Aoki will be activated today, likely pushing Pagan to the DL.

Next, let's assume the Giants trade for Davis tomorrow. Who does he replace on the 25 man? pagan is already "gone".

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This question is above my paygrade, but here goes to youse guys:

Now that Kazmir 'set the market' as the first domino, what does that say about the remaining SPs, and do the Giants now seem more or less likely to land a top line starter even as a rental?

I think that's a great question, and one I've been pondering. I think the market for SP is a lot softer than we thought a week ago. There aren't many teams who are looking to add a front of the rotation starter, now that the Stros are out. By my count, the doyers, cubs, jays, royals are looking for starters. LA is going after Price, Chi linked to Hamels, Jays seeking Shark, and Royals in on Cueto (along with Jays). Those guys will all be expensive, but there are not a ton of teams lining up to get them.

Billy Beane looked around at the market and decided to get two guys he really liked for Kazmir instead of waiting and getting less. He doesn't want the draft pick as the A'ss haven't shown a great ability to draft and develop talent.

So, I don't see us getting in on Price, Shark, Cueto, Hamels; more likely we'd be in line for someone like Leake. There could be someone under the radar like Gallardo though, if the Rangers decide to get something for him and the price drops enough. I also woudn't put it past the doyers to get Price AND Gallardo. They are the suck.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that nothing for the 25 man.

Aoki will be activated today, likely pushing Pagan to the DL.

Next, let's assume the Giants trade for Davis tomorrow. Who does he replace on the 25 man? pagan is already "gone".

I see what you're asking. Aoki activated today; Oxy to DL. You've got two choices as I see it: DFA Max (I wouldn't do that), or fix the 13 arm situation. JA back to the DL? Alternatively, they could send EA down.

I suspect that they won't get Davis at all, but if they do, they'd ship out an arm (Tron?).