• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade deadline rumor/wishlist thread - 2015

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Handful of teams a trade from winning it all | MLB.com

From the article:

San Francisco Giants
The Giants are whole again with both Matt Cain and Hunter Pence back off the disabled list. They're 7-1 with Pence in the lineup this month. And so .

But San Francisco will do something, and no one is better at positioning his roster for a late run than Brian Sabean. Best guess is that the Giants will be looking to add a bullpen arm or a bat for the bench.

Sabean understands that acquiring players at this time of the season not only makes his team better, it sends a message to the entire clubhouse that the front office believes in them and is doing all it can. In that way, there's a shot of energy and confidence. At this point, that may be all the Giants need.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No mention of Peavy back off the DL, who was probably the biggest upside surprise in last year's stretch run, and has pitched quite well in his return this year.

But he does make some decent points.

1) maybe they don't need a single thing

2) Giants will be looking to add a bullpen arm

3) Giants will be looking to add a bat for the bench

No shocking news here.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean is teh awesome so whatever he does is fine with me, but I don't see the pen as an area of need. They need a legit 2/3 starter, and I'm not sure they are willing to give up what it takes to get one.

Now, they may get the reliever/bench bat for that 'vote of confidence' and hope that Peavy is that 2/3. And if he's not, oh well, get em next year (which frankly is an attitude that's fine with me....2016+ is >> than 2015

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First thing that hit me when I saw that article earlier today......Really? They are whole? Have I missed Aoki's return? Lol

I'm good with whatever they choose to do.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First thing that hit me when I saw that article earlier today......Really? They are whole? Have I missed Aoki's return? Lol

I'm good with whatever they choose to do.
Well, he is 4 days away, so we are essentially whole. Although, I expect Oxy to be placed on the DL when he comes off.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't Sabey Sabes handed the reins to Bobby Evans? I am sure there is collaboration and discussion, but these potential signings are not Sabes' call anymore, right?
Yea. Evans is the GM now. And most of what I have heard from interviews say that he is not just the GM in name. He is actually doing the job.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a crowded roster, I don't know if there is a move to make. Bench bat? Sure, but we do have a guy in AAA that could be that. Bullpen? Sure, but we have multiple guys in AAA that could fill that.

Is it worth selling part of the future for 31 days of help? Not really, in my opinion.

IF they decide to go out an do something, I would look at Marlon Byrd. He'd be an upgrade offensively over Maxwell, but not really defensively.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a crowded roster, I don't know if there is a move to make. Bench bat? Sure, but we do have a guy in AAA that could be that. Bullpen? Sure, but we have multiple guys in AAA that could fill that.

Is it worth selling part of the future for 31 days of help? Not really, in my opinion.

IF they decide to go out an do something, I would look at Marlon Byrd. He'd be an upgrade offensively over Maxwell, but not really defensively.

You never know, but that seems pretty unlikely. Byrd would be a slight overall upgrade and probably not worth giving up anything for.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tzill had mentioned, and I agree, if we could get Papelbon in a salary dump for a midlevel prospect I would do that. If we could do that and stay healthy I would really like our chances.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just not excited about getting a head-case like Paps into this clubhouse.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tzill had mentioned, and I agree, if we could get Papelbon in a salary dump for a midlevel prospect I would do that. If we could do that and stay healthy I would really like our chances.

I wouldn't touch Papelbon. $13M for him next year doesn't sound appealing at all.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't touch Papelbon. $13M for him next year doesn't sound appealing at all.
Truthfully, I missed the vesting clause he has, and he will likely get there.

But he is having one of his best years ERA wise, as he did last year. I'm not sure $13mm is all that bad a deal for him, especially if he puts us in the top tier this year.

But your point is well taken.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just not excited about getting a head-case like Paps into this clubhouse.

All things being equal, yeah, I agree.

But this clubhouse has some solid and strong personalities. I am not sure how much a disruption Pap would be, and we could sure use the lights out production.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All things being equal, yeah, I agree.

But this clubhouse has some solid and strong personalities. I am not sure how much a disruption Pap would be, and we could sure use the lights out production.
I would much sooner pay the price for Chapman than take on Paps.

I am edging closer to even being willing to part with Beede to get Chapman. Not sure I am there yet, but I am getting closer...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would much sooner pay the price for Chapman than take on Paps.

I am edging closer to even being willing to part with Beede to get Chapman. Not sure I am there yet, but I am getting closer...

Not I...as good a piece as Chapman is we don't have a glaring need there. Beede is the future.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not I...as good a piece as Chapman is we don't have a glaring need there. Beede is the future.
This is where my thinking is. But Chapman is something special. And he still has one year of team control left in him, so worst case, the Giants get a Comp pick when he walks after '16.

And with the potential re-emergance of Stratton (the PsTB know better if he is legit or not, so I will trust their judgement), Beede can become a MAJOR piece of a MAJOR get to lock down this season AND next...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where my thinking is. But Chapman is something special. And he still has one year of team control left in him, so worst case, the Giants get a Comp pick when he walks after '16.

And with the potential re-emergance of Stratton (the PsTB know better if he is legit or not, so I will trust their judgement), Beede can become a MAJOR piece of a MAJOR get to lock down this season AND next...

Fair points. I don't know if Beede is enough to get it done, but if he is: I'm glad to NOT have to make that call.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'd include a current bully arm in any deal to get Chapman or Papelbon? Because someone would have to go.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're thinking of trading Beede, don't we make him the center of a package for a starter, which we need more than a reliever?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'd include a current bully arm in any deal to get Chapman or Papelbon? Because someone would have to go.

That would be my guess. Including Kontos might bring down the prospect price significantly