• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Deadline 2020

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything I read said that Wiggins was the hold up. The picks might also be a hold up. I am not a big Russell fan, but KAT wants him, so it is likely to happen. I would love to get out of it as cheap as possible. Nobody is going to take Wiggins contract, so the team is stunted all the way through KAT's prime.

I still really hate that the wolves did not keep the rockets pick. giving up a trade asset for the right to over pay Beasley was a bad call. Him and Hernangomez does help with the wolves horrendous 3 point percentage though.

Yeah, but Wiggins wasn't the hold up in that the Warriors were dead set against getting him. The Warriors would take him, but obviously there was a gap in draft pick compensation. I'm sure the Warriors were possibly exploring other teams who may want Wiggins in order to shed him additionally, but if the draft compensation and/or someone like Culver was included the Warriors wouldn't have declined the trade I don't think.

If I was Myers, my asking price for D'Lo would have been D'Lo and Looney for Wiggins, Culver, 2021 unprotected first and at least one more 2021 or 2022 unprotected first round pick.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but Wiggins wasn't the hold up in that the Warriors were dead set against getting him. The Warriors would take him, but obviously there was a gap in draft pick compensation. I'm sure the Warriors were possibly exploring other teams who may want Wiggins in order to shed him additionally, but if the draft compensation and/or someone like Culver was included the Warriors wouldn't have declined the trade I don't think.

If I was Myers, my asking price for D'Lo would have been D'Lo and Looney for Wiggins, Culver, 2021 unprotected first and at least one more 2021 or 2022 unprotected first round pick.

Russell the player is not worth anything near that. However, Russell's value in making KAT happy removes all of the Wolves leverage in a trade.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell the player is not worth anything near that. However, Russell's value in making KAT happy removes all of the Wolves leverage in a trade.

Yeah probably, but you also have to factor the Warriors are taking back a contract that not many people want either. Otherwise the Wolves would have moved on from Wiggins at some point.

So it's not only compensation for D'Lo, but also additional compensation for taking Wiggins and his multi-year contract back.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And if I was trying to get DLo, no way do I offer that much, unless I had picks in pocket from playoff teams to throw in. That's a 2019 #6 pick and two more unprotected first rounders. I would keep Culver. I know it would be great to shed Wiggins, but to what end?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They're not winning WITH KAT. It might be time to look at the best trade offers for him. KAT and Russell is not exactly going to set the world on fire.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah probably, but you also have to factor the Warriors are taking back a contract that not many people want either. Otherwise the Wolves would have moved on from Wiggins at some point.

So it's not only compensation for D'Lo, but also additional compensation for taking Wiggins and his multi-year contract back.

That is why I wanted the Rockets pick. If they don't take Beasley and Hernangomez, use one of the gained picks to drop Dieng's contract then come draft time the Wolves would have had the cap to absorb Russell's contract. The offer I had in mind was the Warriors getting picks and take back no contracts. Wiggins would have stayed.

I want Wiggins gone ASAP, but he is not going anywhere. Adding Bench players that they will have to overpay as RFA does not help the wolves at all.

The trade would load up the Warriors with Draft capital, moved them from 7 million over the luxury tax to only 2 above the salary cap, and kept the core intact. They are contenders again next year with a healthy roster.

Wolves keep KAT happy and can go back to dreaming about dumping Wiggins.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not winning WITH KAT. It might be time to look at the best trade offers for him. KAT and Russell is not exactly going to set the world on fire.

Fair, but I don't believe the Wolves have the capability to build a contender with a reset or not. At least KAT is fun to watch.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair, but I don't believe the Wolves have the capability to build a contender with a reset or not. At least KAT is fun to watch.

They need to have roster plan to build around him. With their recent moves, I'm not sure what that plan is. It shouldn't be to compete this year after their recent drop to the bottom, that's for sure.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if I was trying to get DLo, no way do I offer that much, unless I had picks in pocket from playoff teams to throw in. That's a 2019 #6 pick and two more unprotected first rounders. I would keep Culver. I know it would be great to shed Wiggins, but to what end?

Exactly, and I don't blame the Wolves for rejecting it. The Warriors were asking for a lot but they have to. D'Lo is still a valuable player in the league. He's only 24 and he's having probably his best statistical season to date. The Warriors still see him as a piece that can fit along with Steph and Klay. So the Warriors are going to only take top dollar offers for him. They don't need to move D'Lo.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, and I don't blame the Wolves for rejecting it. The Warriors were asking for a lot but they have to. D'Lo is still a valuable player in the league. He's only 24 and he's having probably his best statistical season to date. The Warriors still see him as a piece that can fit along with Steph and Klay. So the Warriors are going to only take top dollar offers for him. They don't need to move D'Lo.

Sure, but you have to admit that his best statistical season is not really contributing to wins in any real way. Big stats on a losing team are fools gold.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to have roster plan to build around him. With their recent moves, I'm not sure what that plan is. It shouldn't be to compete this year after their recent drop to the bottom, that's for sure.

I thought it was to dump salary to build the team he wanted around KAT, the Nuggets addition to that trade undermined all of that though.

Beasley already turned down a massive over pay in 10 a year, if he is back it is only as the latest terrible contract the Wolves have. It will put them back into cap hell.

I know the rockets pick would be a late round in a weak draft, but that is the ideal piece to get a team to take a bad contract.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but you have to admit that his best statistical season is not really contributing to wins in any real way. Big stats on a losing team are fools gold.

Stats yes. Percentages no. D'Lo is the only viable option for the Warriors so you would assume his numbers would be inflated (i.e. points, shot attempts, usage, etc.). But conversely teams key in on him defensively because he's really the only offensive threat out there. So if he's putting up huge shot attempts to get big points yes, it's fools gold. If he's putting up low percentages but has high usage, yeah it's fools gold. That's at least how I put together my judgements of efficiency.

Here are his numbers from last year as an allstar to this year:

18-19: 21.1 Pts, 7.0 APG, 3.9 Rebs, 3.1 TO's, 43.4% FG, 36.9% 3PT, 18.7 FGA
19-20: 23.8 Pts, 6.3 APG, 3.7 Rebs, 3.1 TO's, 43.3% FG, 38.3% 3PT, 19.2 FGA

Then you look at advanced stats:

18-19: ORT 107, DRT 110, PER 19.4, 53.3 TS%, 31.9% Usage
19-20: ORT 107, DRT 115, PER 19.6, 56.3 TS%, 32.2% Usage

Then you look at his advance metrics, he's only slightly below the VORP he had last year as an allstar. He's played in 32 games and has a VORP of 1.0 whereas he played 81 games last year with a 3.3. That's also including a lack of support from his teammates producing.

I will absolutely give you that he's not as good this year on defense. That is evident just by watching him play and not even having to look at the box score. But offensively, he's every bit as efficient, if not more so, than last year as an Allstar.

Just compare those season numbers to another big stats on a losing team like Andrew Wiggins. D'Lo's numbers still stick out.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I'll never understand.
Dude is 30 years old.
Earned $43M in his career.
Getting paid $15M this year to play on a wretched team.

Wouldn't he want to be in LA?
Wouldn't he want a shot at winning a title every year?
Shouldn't he want to play for the minimum there or even $3-5M/year?
Does he enjoy earning bank while playing for the dregs of society?????
Apparently not.

Clippers offered 3/42 and he passed.

Maybe he wanted to go to the other LA Squad?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not equating him to Wiggins by any stretch. His defensive short-comings are tough to absorb though.

Last year's all-star was as an injury replacement, so not truly an all-star performance most years. He's been improving slowly, curious as to what his true ceiling is. I don't know that he'll ever be a first option type.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2 2021 first round draft picks? Narrowing down your potential suitors there. As is a 2021 and 2022 1st since that would require essentially even more since you would want them to be both unprotected.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final Trade:

Rockets get: Robert Covington, Jordan Bell, Warriors 2024 2nd

Hawks get: Clint Capela, Nene

Wolves get: Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, Jarred Vanderbilt, Evan Turner, 2020 Nets 1st (from Atlanta)

Nuggets get: Shabazz Napier, Keita Bates-Diop, Gerald Green, Noah Vonleh, 2020 Rockets 1st

The Wolves got a lot of mediocre bench players and a middling pick in a bad draft class for Covington lol

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 2021 first round draft picks? Narrowing down your potential suitors there. As is a 2021 and 2022 1st since that would require essentially even more since you would want them to be both unprotected.

It would have been part of the compensation the TWolves were looking for from the Covington trade. Covington was first intended to be moved to acquire additional draft assets to flip to the Warriors. So it wouldn't have been consecutive picks from the Wolves.