• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Capital from Miami

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no rollover of his salary; it's a rollover of the team's unused cap from this season to next season - that's the benefit we're talking about by trading him this year (assuming the trade is just for a draft pick). Our concern here is the cap money available - not Snyder's money - and Eddie Brown vs Speedy Duncan. ;)
His salary is part of that roll over and hence applicable

and again why do we need more space ? Who is the must have ?

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His salary is part of that roll over and hence applicable

and again why do we need more space ? Who is the must have ?

We're talking about next year for the rollover of cap space. Though, if we do acquire more players this year, those salaries will reduce the amount of cap space that we are able to carry forward.

We have so few players signed up for next year - which means we're going to need a ton of cap space next year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking about next year for the rollover of cap space. Though, if we do acquire more players this year, those salaries will reduce the amount of cap space that we are able to carry forward.

We have so few players signed up for next year - which means we're going to need a ton of cap space next year.
The point is his 12 mil is there regardless which seems to be an issue of understanding amongst some . It’s there on the roll over and it’s there next year if he is let go after playing out the contract . So unless we go after a must have player this year ( or a good draft pick ). Then there is no reason to do anything with RK

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems no one has answered dad's question who or what do the Redskins get for Kerrigan. It seems to me that is important unless you just want him gone.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely do not agree that we won’t be at the same place next year in regards to the cap . Nowhere in what you posted allows for double dipping , nowhere . It says you can carry over from last years cap which doesn’t change where we will be either by keeping him or not

as for this season yes it does but again I have asked what must have free agents are out there that we need to get ? No one has given me any answer to this

the only thing I can conclude is that you care about Snyder’s money and who gets it . I don’t

Stop adding made up words that are confusing you. Not paying RK this season allows us to rollover our unused cap space this season on RK into next season, adding 12 million to available cap space next season because it will theoretically go unused. This is Straight out of the CBA you posted. I gave you the damn page number.

There will be free agents available next season. The names are not relevant. The money we are capable of spending is.

Nobody cares about Snyder’s money. It will be spent. If we don’t use all 198 million in cap space this season, any unused cap room rolls over and is added to next year’s available cap space. We spend less this season, it allows us to spend more next season.

I seriously believe you are the only one who doesn’t understand this.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems no one has answered dad's question who or what do the Redskins get for Kerrigan. It seems to me that is important unless you just want him gone.

We get 12 million in cap space available this season, or rolled over into next season if unspent. That is more than enough to warrant getting rid of him. Any draft picks or players acquired is icing on the cake.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop adding made up words that are confusing you. Not paying RK this season allows us to rollover our unused cap space this season on RK into next season, adding 12 million to available cap space next season because it will theoretically go unused. This is Straight out of the CBA you posted. I gave you the damn page number.

There will be free agents available next season. The names are not relevant. The money we are capable of spending is.

Nobody cares about Snyder’s money. It will be spent. If we don’t use all 198 million in cap space this season, any unused cap room rolls over and is added to next year’s available cap space. We spend less this season, it allows us to spend more next season.

I seriously believe you are the only one who doesn’t understand this.
You cannot double dip period , the money is there regardless. You get nothing extra

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get 12 million in cap space available this season, or rolled over into next season if unspent. That is more than enough to warrant getting rid of him. Any draft picks or players acquired is icing on the cake.
Available for what free agent ? Supply the must have person (or persons ) that requires us to cut him this instant and our 24 mil we have now can’t cover

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you really think that was his question, please answer it.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly , there is no benefit to doing anything unless you get a good draft pick or sign a must have free agent (s)

they are hung up on some roll over crap thinking the get extra money . They do not . The 12 mil is either rolled over this year to next if unused or the 12 mil is there because after the season the money or space if you will ,will be there and you end up at the same point at the beginning of the new (2021) league year as you would if you rolled it over

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cannot double dip period , the money is there regardless. You get nothing extra
Let's just go over 2 examples - that at least show where I'm coming from. I should have done this before.

1. Assume the Skins have 20 mil in cap space (after subtracting whatever they pay for their rookies) - with Kerrigan now on the books hypothetically for 11 million. Say they make no more moves for the entire 2020 season. For 2021, they will have a rollover of 20 mil plus the regular 2021 cap allotment (say it's 209 mil), so their adjusted 2021 salary cap is 229 mil.

2. Same as above, except they trade Kerrigan now for a player who makes 1 mil. So their cap space for 2020 increases by 10 mil (11 minus 1) to 30 mil. The 30 mil rolls over to 2021 - making their 2021 adjusted cap 239 mil (209 plus 30). That's 10 mil more than in the first example - where they keep Kerrigan.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly , there is no benefit to doing anything unless you get a good draft pick or sign a must have free agent (s)

they are hung up on some roll over crap thinking the get extra money . They do not . The 12 mil is either rolled over this year to next if unused or the 12 mil is there because after the season the money or space if you will ,will be there and you end up at the same point at the beginning of the new (2021) league year as you would if you rolled it over

I think I’m with Skinsdad on this one. 2021 cap space should be the same regardless if he is gone this season or beginning of next

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it once he’s off the books, he’s off the books, so the 12 mil cap relief is either in 2020 which will rollover, or the relief is in 2021. Sounds the same to me

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens to Kerrigan's 11+Million current salary if Washington trades him to the Colts for a draft pick?

True or false... If Washington trades (for a draft pick)or releases Kerrigan outright now, will they gain 11+M more in cap space?

If true, will Washington be able to add that extra cap number to next year's salary cap?

Last edited:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Kerrigan's current salary for 2020 (11+M) been paid to the player or does he like everyone else collect it as the season progresses?

I agree that there's no double dipping on his salary, because he's off of the books next year. The question at hand is, what happens to his current (2020) salary if he's no longer here to collect it?

Will Washington be able to keep it for next year, or, spend it this year for another player? (You win if you answered it's their option)

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens to Kerrigan's 11+Million current salary if Washington trades him to the Colts for a draft pick?

Pretty much my example 2; plus or minus a little depending on how high the pick is.

True or false... If Washington trades (for a draft pick)or releases Kerrigan outright now, will they gain 11+M more in cap space?

If true, will Washington be able to add that extra cap number to next year's salary cap?
True and true assuming none of his contract is guaranteed - with the one obvious exception that I know of to your "if true" question - If they spend it all in 2020 (hopefully they won't, but maybe opportunities come up) in free agents and/or trades, there'd be nothing to rollover.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I see it once he’s off the books, he’s off the books, so the 12 mil cap relief is either in 2020 which will rollover, or the relief is in 2021. Sounds the same to me

With one big difference, that 2020 rollover ADDS to next year's salary cap.
He will be off the books next year. This year the question becomes (if Young is the pick at #2) is he worth paying 12M as a backup or is it better to release or trade him with an eye on the future? (Rollover monies)

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has Kerrigan's current salary for 2020 (11+M) been paid to the player or does he like everyone else collect it as the season progresses?

I agree that there's no double dipping on his salary, because he's off of the books next year. The question at hand is, what happens to his current (2020) salary if he's no longer here to collect it?

Will Washington be able to keep it for next year, or, spend it this year for another player? (You win if you answered it's their option)
Since that's what I said several times, what prize do I get?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this what happens when there's no other justification for keeping a player?

Right now (if Young is the choice)the two principal reasons to keep Kerrigan are:

1. As a 12M role modeling backup

2. To retire him in D.C. (that's going to cost 12M or more if extended)

Now some will say keeping him represents cultural change, but it seems as if cultural change means no change at all.

Last edited:

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree if young is picked they should try and get some value from him, and I think they will try if young is drafted.